GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-15, 09:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah i hear you. i think there was some similar discussion on the rc350/rcf release as well (rc350 was last nov i think), saying it came out at the very wrong time.

i can understand cars like nx (or other suv), but on a sports car, spring / summer release makes more sense, catch those impulse buyers
Old 09-03-15, 10:36 AM
kdphan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
only good thing about audis is the awd, everything else garbage.
they break down quite a bit, not worth it
This is the type of opinion that makes people look dumb when they generalize.

The S4 I had did not have a single issue up to 49k miles until I traded it in for a GS F sport for the wife. I only sold it because warranty was gone and I was scared about the S-tronic issue not being covered after warranty ended.

S4 drove better than any Lexus not named LFA, ISF or RCF (not avail at the time).

Interior quality of the S4 was a step above my GS.

You probably think that Audi's or ALL german cars are known to break down ALL the time.

I'm on my 6th BMW and none have had major issues.

325i - no issues until 160k miles or so until it was totalled
330ci - no major issues until 175k miles and traded in
Z4 - no issues until sold
e92 M3 - no issues up to 45k miles or so when sold
Z4M Coupe - almost 80k miles and still running stong
F80 M3 - no issues up to 3600 miles

GS F sport is at 10k miles now and no issues either. Wish it had more power.

So there you have it. The garbage you're spewing about Audis and german cars are really just....myth.
Old 09-03-15, 11:12 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by kdphan
Interior quality of the S4 was a step above my GS.

So there you have it. The garbage you're spewing about Audis and german cars are really just....myth.
I'm also a fan of Audi, but I'm going to have to disagree with the interior quality statement. Audi S4 interior is not better than the GS. Too much rubbery trim along the dash and door, and hard plastics throughout the interior. Not to mention, the tiny screen for infotainment.

I wouldn't call German cars garbage, but they do tend to have more serious problems when something goes wrong. In addition, their parts tend to cost a lot. I would never own a German car outside of warranty.
Old 09-03-15, 11:57 AM
kdphan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
I'm also a fan of Audi, but I'm going to have to disagree with the interior quality statement. Audi S4 interior is not better than the GS. Too much rubbery trim along the dash and door, and hard plastics throughout the interior. Not to mention, the tiny screen for infotainment.

I wouldn't call German cars garbage, but they do tend to have more serious problems when something goes wrong. In addition, their parts tend to cost a lot. I would never own a German car outside of warranty.
The aluminum accents in the GS is really tacky TBH.

Screen size, GS > S4

other than that...

Leather quality, S4>GS (I believe GS seats are not really leather, but synthetic material). My S4 had napa leather.

Seats felt better on the S4.
Old 09-03-15, 12:03 PM
akuma88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GS got real leather, ES and IS got some replica looking leather
Old 09-03-15, 01:13 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

The aluminum accents in the GS is really tacky TBH.

Screen size, GS > S4

other than that...

Leather quality, S4>GS (I believe GS seats are not really leather, but synthetic material). My S4 had napa leather.

Seats felt better on the S4.
Well the fake carbon fiber accents (carbon atlas) in the S4 is pretty tacky too.

Most of the GS seat is leather. Just the parts that tend to have more wear (bolsters) aren't.

The Napa leather is optional in the S4, so it shouldn't be compared to the regular leather in the GS. I'd take the F-sport leather seats over the S4 alcantara seats. Not to mention, GS seats are perforated and have ventilation where it isn't even an option in the S4. I'm pretty sure the semi-aniline leather in the luxury package for the GS is probably pretty close to the Napa leather in the S4.

The A4/S4 and A5/S5/RS5 designs are getting kinda old. The interiors and tech are way overdue for an update.

Vs.

Last edited by dchar; 09-03-15 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-03-15, 02:55 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I'm sorry guys, no hate on the Germans as I love Mercs, Bimmers, and Audis as well but I would take the GS interior any day! I mean, just look at that damn dash!
Old 09-03-15, 06:11 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

This is the type of opinion that makes people look dumb when they generalize.

ive stopped, and you should too by looks of comments above.

no other manufacturer can touch lexus or toyota in quality and reliability for number of cars they build.

lets just keep discussing the GSF.
Winter is not a good time to be releasing a sports car imho
Old 09-03-15, 07:23 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar

I owned a '13 GS F Sport. I now own a '15 Audi S5 (same interior as the S4). The GS interior is nicer in that it has the stitched dash, cool radio ***** and more leather or "pleather" here and there. The S5 interior is more subdued and doesn't have the big screen of the GS. However, I had rattles in my GS. I have none in my S5. So, it's a tie. The materials in one are better and the tolerances and the way they are put together are better in the other. And I kind of prefer my "fake" carbon fiber trim to the aluminum trim in the GS that used to dent when I just looked at it.

Anyway, hard to go wrong with either car. I would certainly consider returning to Lexus for the right model.
Old 09-04-15, 05:07 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,211 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
no other manufacturer can touch lexus or toyota in quality and reliability for number of cars they build.

lets just keep discussing the GSF.
Winter is not a good time to be releasing a sports car imho
Agreed on this one! Who cares if you want to defend German cars... won't change anybody's mind.
Old 09-04-15, 07:31 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 95bat
Agreed on this one! Who cares if you want to defend German cars... won't change anybody's mind.
Hey, I wasn't the one who brought up Audi, but if someone in the forum says they are "garbage" I'm going to defend them. I owned a '13 GS F Sport for 3 years, and it was a great car. I also owned an SC300, 2 GS300s, an RX300 and 2 SC430s, so I have a reference point. Do you?

I acknowledge that Toyota/Lexus have incredible reliability, but since I'm not a Fanboy I'm also open-minded enough to try other brands and I, for one, appreciate when people bring other (knowledgeable) opinions to the forum.

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming. What it everyone's speculation about the new GS-F?

Last edited by dseag2; 09-04-15 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-05-15, 01:29 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dseag2
Now back to the regularly scheduled programming. What it everyone's speculation about the new GS-F?
Saw a vid about the GSF, and was quite excited until I saw that it'll have two active sound speakers in the rear. The V8 should sound good enough without those silly things. But not a deal breaker and I'm still looking forward to it.

Here's a pretty cool vid of the GSF:

Old 09-05-15, 07:15 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,211 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I owned a '13 GS F Sport. I now own a '15 Audi S5 (same interior as the S4). The GS interior is nicer in that it has the stitched dash, cool radio ***** and more leather or "pleather" here and there. The S5 interior is more subdued and doesn't have the big screen of the GS. However, I had rattles in my GS. I have none in my S5. So, it's a tie. The materials in one are better and the tolerances and the way they are put together are better in the other. And I kind of prefer my "fake" carbon fiber trim to the aluminum trim in the GS that used to dent when I just looked at it.

Anyway, hard to go wrong with either car. I would certainly consider returning to Lexus for the right model.
Calm down Turbo. I, nor 95% of people on here, will care about your experience and change their opinion. I didn't even say I dislike German cars. I personally LOOOOVE the new C63 Who can dislike that powerhouse?!

Last edited by 95bat; 09-06-15 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-05-15, 07:03 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

cool video... V8 sounded mean...
Old 09-05-15, 07:06 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Yes, cool video. Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)