GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 09:27 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
Hey, hey, don't take it out on me, ain't my fault you guys are disappointed I was pointing the obvious, and what 95% of the ppl and the media will say. IS F, RC F, GS F and any other XX F out there are seen as M/AMG/RS competitors.

I really hope that I'm wrong and this will start from $65 but I don't think it's gonna happen.
Sorry, but it is not "obvious" that the GSF was created as a competitor to the M5. You claimed it was but can't back it up. It is a false meme created by the media that you simply recycled. Arbitrarily picking the M5 as a benchmark against which to compare the GSF is disingenuous because it's an apples to oranges comparison.
Old 01-07-15, 09:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Could be the angulation of the camera but IMO the hood looks a little too steep in the side picture. Not so much on the straight shot. How are the 2IS and ISF compared? Any difference? Looking at these pictures again, if the hood is adjusted a bit (as in the attached picture), it does not look much different from the concept car IMO. Maybe it looks better in person. On a side note, surprisingly wife gave a green light.
The difference to me is how the lower part of the front facia sticks forward on the GS-F vs the GS concept. There is more body ahead of the wheels in the GS-F, and that is NOT sporty.
Old 01-07-15, 09:50 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gyrase321
Sorry, but it is not "obvious" that the GSF was created as a competitor to the M5. You claimed it was but can't back it up. It is a false meme created by the media that you simply recycled. Arbitrarily picking the M5 as a benchmark against which to compare the GSF is disingenuous because it's an apples to oranges comparison.
It might not be "your" obvious my friend. Unfortunately the "obvious" is decided by the majority, regardless of what we like to think in our own lil' bubble.
Plus it's of Lexus' own making. If you declare IS F and RC F direct competitors to M3 and M4, what do you expect ppl to think about GS F?

Maybe it's cultural. Maybe it was the top GS boss that came up with this idea between two bottles of sake and none of the subordinates had the ***** to tell him he's wrong. J/K
Old 01-07-15, 10:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

When did they declare the RC-F a competitor to the M4...in fact they said specifically it wasn't built to any benchmark. Lexus NEVER references another vehicle when talking about its F Cars.
Old 01-07-15, 10:17 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
$90K and 500 - 550hp would have been an ideal for this car. Imagine BMW debuts their next M5 with M3 numbers, that's what happened here. Why buy this car when you can get the RC-F, same engine and specs, plus you'd be saving money.
Um, because I have two kids with car seats!!!
Old 01-07-15, 10:19 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
When did they declare the RC-F a competitor to the M4...in fact they said specifically it wasn't built to any benchmark. Lexus NEVER references another vehicle when talking about its F Cars.
Except when they encourage an independent third party to track 3 cars against each other...and two of those happen to be the M4 and the RCF.

The only logical conclusion we can draw is that RCF = M4 and GSF = M5. I don't know what else they would shoot for or why. The M series is the benchmark for performance in their segments.
Old 01-07-15, 10:36 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

"The Lexus RC F is faster than the BMW M4 and Audi RS 5 on a closed track.*"

The above is directly on their site. The implications behind that statement couldn't be any more clear, really. The problem is that Lexus isn't entirely consistent about what their plan is, as of late. It seems they're comfortable with competing, unless they're at a solid disadvantage, at which point they switch to the "fun" thing. I'm okay with either, but would like more consistency. You can come in with less power, and still build a better drivers car.
Old 01-07-15, 10:38 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

It might not be "your" obvious my friend. Unfortunately the "obvious" is decided by the majority, regardless of what we like to think in our own lil' bubble.
Plus it's of Lexus' own making. If you declare IS F and RC F direct competitors to M3 and M4, what do you expect ppl to think about GS F?

Maybe it's cultural. Maybe it was the top GS boss that came up with this idea between two bottles of sake and none of the subordinates had the ***** to tell him he's wrong. J/K
What "majority" are you talking about? There's no "majority" there, just the one you invented inside your head. The car isn't even out yet. I suppose you can imagine the GSF to compete with the M5 even though the published specs show that would be an apples to oranges comparison. But that would be asinine wouldn't it? But it would make the GSF Basher feel good in his own mind, so whatever floats your boat.
Old 01-07-15, 10:47 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lets Drive
"The Lexus RC F is faster than the BMW M4 and Audi RS 5 on a closed track.*"

The above is directly on their site. The implications behind that statement couldn't be any more clear, really. The problem is that Lexus isn't entirely consistent about what their plan is, as of late. It seems they're comfortable with competing, unless they're at a solid disadvantage, at which point they switch to the "fun" thing. I'm okay with either, but would like more consistency. You can come in with less power, and still build a better drivers car.
This
Old 01-07-15, 11:00 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

I think people are conflating two different arenas in which these cars compete with each other. There's a narrow view of competition as that which occurs solely on a race track. In that arena, the cars should be matched technical spec by technical spec for the comparison to be valid and scientific. There's also a more expansive view of competition as that which occurs in the marketplace....ie, which cars actually sell better because they meet a consumer need. A car that is technically proficient on a race track and yet is approachable enough by the average consumer to use on a daily basis is the car the Lexus has been making via the F series. Lexus has said so itself. This is not a secret. See the statements made by RCFs chief designer. This makes economic sense. So those who bash Lexus because it doesn't make 1000hp cars, bear in mind that Lexus has the big picture in clear view. As a shareholder of Toyota/Lexus, I find this mature responsible approach by the company to be highly commendable.
Old 01-07-15, 11:00 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry but if u're an F car, u're gonna be compared to an ///M, AMG, and RS. Doesn't matter what Lexus says. The journalists and general public will compare them. This isn't too hard to comprehend.., well, unless u're a Lexus apologist. Your argument will be Lexus is trying to do their own thing and not compete with these cars. Or the infamous reliability card. The car will sell, if priced correctly, but it's not gonna propel the F brand to the next level. If anything, it will diminish it. Lexus' top of the line performance brand can only compete with the Germans mid level performance lines. Doesn't sound too exciting to me.
Old 01-07-15, 11:07 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Hey, hey, don't take it out on me, ain't my fault you guys are disappointed I was pointing the obvious, and what 95% of the ppl and the media will say. IS F, RC F, GS F and any other XX F out there are seen as M/AMG/RS competitors.

I really hope that I'm wrong and this will start from $65 but I don't think it's gonna happen.
The IS-F was a direct M3 Competitor.

It wasn't until the late models with the revised suspension and true LSD did the car match the M3 performance.
Old 01-07-15, 11:08 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I think people are conflating two different arenas in which these cars compete with each other. There's a narrow view of competition as that which occurs solely on a race track. In that arena, the cars should be matched technical spec by technical spec for the comparison to be valid and scientific. There's also a more expansive view of competition as that which occurs in the marketplace....ie, which cars actually sell better because they meet a consumer need. A car that is technically proficient on a race track and yet is approachable enough by the average consumer to use on a daily basis is the car the Lexus has been making via the F series. Lexus has said so itself. This is not a secret. See the statements made by RCFs chief designer. This makes economic sense. So those who bash Lexus because it doesn't make 1000hp cars, bear in mind that Lexus has the big picture in clear view. As a shareholder of Toyota/Lexus, I find this mature responsible approach by the company to be highly commendable.
How's the work in Indiana these days?
Old 01-07-15, 11:11 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
How's the work in Indiana these days?
What about Indiana? Sorry, don't get your point.
Old 01-07-15, 11:16 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What "majority" are you talking about? There's no "majority" there, just the one you invented inside your head. The car isn't even out yet. I suppose you can imagine the GSF to compete with the M5 even though the published specs show that would be an apples to oranges comparison. But that would be asinine wouldn't it? But it would make the GSF Basher feel good in his own mind, so whatever floats your boat.
Dude, chill. Did you read any of the opinions in this thread? Are 90% of the GS owners in this thread GS F bashers? And if yes, I wonder why. Grab a beer and relax.

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)