GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

G350 F Sport or IS350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-15, 10:26 AM
Treb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G350 F Sport or IS350 F Sport

I have a 2002 GS430 and looking at buying a new GS350 F Sport or a new IS350 F Sport. Has anyone driven both car. What are differences in driving and handling of both and difference in comfort of the front seats.
Old 01-04-15, 10:50 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The GS is bigger, bigger looser seats, longer wheelbase, wider tracks, longer suspension travel, more firm riding, quieter, somehow thicker glass so less noise as another car swooshes past, and the GS is noticeably more isolated from noise & vibrations too.

The GS also has superior plastics, superior leather & superior quality of stitching.

On the downside, the GS being bigger & heavier with a higher centre of gravity, is not quite as responsive & agile.
The IS F Sport also actually has a more compliant ride, though with less suspension travel than the GS.
The IS has smaller & more supportive front seats.

Because the GS is a new model relative to the 2009-16 E & 2010-17 5, the GS performs better relative to its peers.
The 2013-20 3IS must compete against more fresh opponents in the 2012-19 3 Series & in particular, the new yardstick 2014-21 C Class.

Because GS & IS share platforms, or platforms related, their weights are intermediate between 3 & 5 Series which use two completely different platforms - the 5 actually uses the 7's platform.
Hence the IS is a little heavier than the 3, while the GS is lighter than the 5.
Thus the GS has a handling advantage over its peers relative to the IS...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-04-15 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-04-15, 12:16 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...y-and-why.html
Old 01-04-15, 03:07 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want my true opinion. The IS suits a woman more. Its too small and cute. The GS is better in all regards. I love mine. If you are thinking about the IS because of price , i would suggest getting the ES instead. The ES and IS are both 71.0 inches wide but the ES is much longer, even longer than the GS.
Old 01-04-15, 03:12 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree with the other pete, and will add the is is a bit quicker because it is lighter, but you wont notice a huge difference. The interior differences are huge, i like the IS seats more, but with a winter jacket on i would not be able to move in the IS. I like the IS rear end more but prefer the GS front end. Because of my size, i bought the GS, but the gf is tiny and she fits great as well. The interior quality is so much nicer in the GS, the slight extra cost is worth it.
Old 01-04-15, 03:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
If you are thinking about the IS because of price , i would suggest getting the ES instead.
Unless you want a RWD sedan that handles well. The ES and the IS are VERY different.

I had an IS as a loaner for two days, and I have driven a 350 F Sport (the loaner was a 250 standard). I could see why somebody might choose one over the GS depending on their needs. The GS is more mature, more stable, more comfortable while still having some edge and being sporty (especially the F Sport), but the IS is nimbler and lighter feeling, its more fun to drive, it feels peppier and more responsive. I enjoyed driving the IS thoroughly...I also enjoyed getting my GS back.

The GS is a "better" car no doubt, interior is better, space is better, its more refined and substantial...but the IS is a great little sports sedan.
Old 01-04-15, 04:32 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I do see your point as far as the IS being much more nimble and fun to drive because the vehicle is much lighter. The IS 350 is basically the GS engine put into the much lighter IS body so it will definitely be more dynamic and fun to drive.

But isnt the GS in essenece (unless you have AWD) a RWD sedan that handles well much like the ES ? but with more refinement and quality inside the cabin, such as the seats, leather and features. Ive drove the ES for a while and ill be honest, if the ES had a more powerful engine to compliment its length and weight, i would look at the ES under a whole different light.
Old 01-04-15, 04:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
But isnt the GS in essenece (unless you have AWD) a RWD sedan that handles well much like the ES ? but with more refinement and quality inside the cabin, such as the seats, leather and features. .
Noooooo....The GS keeps a lot of the ES's ride and quietness (having had two ES's, I think the GS rides a little better at speed, but the ES rides better at low speeds over speed bumps, etc) when driving normally, on the highway, etc. But, when you enter a curvy road or try and push it and drive spiritedly or aggressively, the differences between the ES and GS become immediately apparent. The ES is a front heavy, softly sprung FWD sedan-barge, and the GS is RWD, well balanced, 50/50 weight distribution, much stiffer chassis, much more sophisticated suspension. All in all...a much better drivers car.

Its like saying a 5 Series BMW is basically like a RWD Buick...the analogy is very similar.
Old 01-04-15, 05:39 PM
TonyCarson
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We initially went to the Lexus dealership to pick up a is350 F sport, but just prior to us deciding to buy my fiance took her mothers previous gen is on a 8 hour drive to San Diego and was sore and really was disappointed in the comfort. We decided to give it a try anyways and took the new model on a few test drives, then for ****s and giggles we took the GS F sport out.

As soon as we got in the GS we were amazed at the comfort, technology, looks, and quality. We had visited the BMW, Audi, and Mercedes dealerships just before and felt the Lexus was better for our needs in every way. She took our new GS on the same 8 hour drive to San Diego for Thanksgiving and said she had no discomfort, and thoroughly enjoyed the drive. (Just get in the GS and admire the navigation screen for a while and it will be hard to go back to a normal sized screen)

To sum it up, the IS350 F sport was a very fun car to drive, but as said before I feel the IS is more girly, the GS was just as fun to drive to me, and the comfort level and styling was way beyond the IS. You can't go wrong with either option, but I feel it depends on if you going to go on any long drives, or just go around town.
Old 01-04-15, 06:10 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the IS fits the younger cats a bit more. I like the interior of the IS better and I like the IS seats more but I just liked the GS more and I needed the extra space especially in the trunk.
Old 01-04-15, 06:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You liked the interior of the IS more? Really?!?
Old 01-04-15, 06:19 PM
SanDeezy
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Ditto on that question.
Old 01-04-15, 06:41 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Lol yes I do. I didn't say it was nicer, it just looks more modern and innovative. I like the IS' center stack more (minus the smaller screen). The passenger side of the GS' dash reminds me of an old Avalon. And the seats in the GS "look" boring.
Old 01-04-15, 07:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I just totally don't agree with that on any level...
Old 01-04-15, 07:04 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
Lol yes I do. I didn't say it was nicer, it just looks more modern and innovative. I like the IS' center stack more (minus the smaller screen). The passenger side of the GS' dash reminds me of an old Avalon. And the seats in the GS "look" boring.
I had an IS250 as a loaner, and I kind of understand what you're saying. The only thing I don't really like about the GS interior is that huge horizontal slab of aluminum (or wood, depending on the model) over the glovebox. Re: the seats, in the F Sport I think the driver's seat looks fantastic but I agree that the passenger seat looks uninspired because it doesn't have the side bolsters and seat extension. Although, in Cabernet, it still looks good.

I agree with SW13GS that the IS is a more fun car to drive, but I was glad to get my GS back. I found the IS was less refined and had more road noise. Also, aside from the design of the interior, the nav screen was really small and the materials didn't come close to those in the GS.

One other point, every other car seems to be an IS these days. Not so with the GS, and rarity makes it special. If I didn't need the utility of a sedan I would go for an RC over an IS any day because it will be more rare and some of the interior materials have been upgraded.

Quick Reply: G350 F Sport or IS350 F Sport