GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Premium GS vs F-sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 11:17 PM
Jack777
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premium GS vs F-sport

I've read that the Sport+ setting on the F-sport models make a huge difference although I want to know what the actual difference is. As I have a premium and have never driven the F-sport, I have driven the is350 F-sport and did not feel any difference between it and my premium GS.
Old 12-30-14, 11:26 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

U'll really feel the difference on turns and uneven road surface Jack, the FSport in Sport+ feels glued to the road while the Premium feels floaty. It feels more solid at high speeds and during evasive maneuvers. I've had both and I traded to FSport as soon as I felt the difference.
Old 12-30-14, 11:46 PM
Jack777
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really because the other night I was driving my GS through a mountain and I really don't know what happened because the back started to slide and the car just corrected itself. This is my reason for asking because after that the car feels really loose and as you said floaty. Although it still handles great I think when my lease ends I'll be getting the F-Sport.
Old 12-31-14, 12:06 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Freeway traffic or a reserved test drive with your family, you wouldnt really notice much but maybe a slightly stiffer ride and a heavier steering feel. However, if you ever like to get aggressive or "sporty" when behind the wheel..

Sport mode changes up the throttle response making for crisper and livelier acceleration, and also transmission shift points come later to take advantage of the power band.

Sport + mode actually takes it a step further and changes the suspension damping (AVS), firming up the ride for more aggressive handling, and also tightens up the electric power steering (vgrs) giving a more weighted precise feel.

All this adds up to enhance those "spirited' driving sessions such as taking turns with some zest on a mountain pass!!
Old 12-31-14, 12:10 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

The Sport mode in the Premium also stiffens up the steering. Yes, not just beefing up the throttle response but the steering too. U actually get quite a bit of goodies with the Premium pack.

For the ones equipped with Sport+ mode, the Sport only mode only beef up the throttle response.
Old 12-31-14, 12:15 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Thanks for correcting me... I didnt even consider the Premium was just referring to the F Sport modes!!
Old 12-31-14, 01:59 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

premium=base suspension

luxury/f=sport=intelligent electronically adjustable plus semi-autonomous shock absorbers

eco/normal/sport settings in a luxury/f-sport roughly equivalent to base premium suspension

sport+ in luxury/f-sport= stiffened shocks + increased steering weight

However, the shocks in luxury/f-sport are also "intelligent" and semiautonomous in that in even in normal non-stiffened setting, they can still continually detect and adapt to the ever changing road conditions, softening and stiffening by themselves in order to improve ride quality/road holding.The right and left shocks will even stiffen to different degrees when going around a bend so as to combat body roll.

difference between luxury and f-sport. Not too sure about this one but I suspect the F-sport base stiffness is set slightly higher than the luxury model shocks.
Old 12-31-14, 08:56 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
The Sport mode in the Premium also stiffens up the steering. Yes, not just beefing up the throttle response but the steering too. U actually get quite a bit of goodies with the Premium pack.

For the ones equipped with Sport+ mode, the Sport only mode only beef up the throttle response.
I do not think the Sport drive mode in Premium alters the turning response of the steering.
Old 12-31-14, 09:07 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
I do not think the Sport drive mode in Premium alters the turning response of the steering.
I've had a 2014 Premium before and it does, it even shows on the side screen what is being altered when u switch between modes.

I don't know if the 2013 is different though. My 2014 Premium had rear powered shade too, the only thing missing was ML and Sport+ on that car, everything else is there, BSM, RCTA, Nav, parking assist, power folding mirrors. Oh and it had double pane front windows too! which my FSport doesn't have!

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 12-31-14 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-31-14, 09:17 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I've had a 2014 Premium before and it does, it even shows on the side screen what is being altered when u switch between modes.

I don't know if the 2013 is different though. My 2014 Premium had rear powered shade too, the only thing missing was ML and Sport+ on that car, everything else is there, BSM, RCTA, Nav, parking assist, power folding mirrors. Oh and it had double pane front windows too! which my FSport doesn't have!
Ummm... I can't seem to find anything specifically pertaining to a steering change (turning response) when going to Sport drive mode in a Premium.
Old 12-31-14, 09:23 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Ur steering wheel isn't highlighted when u change to Sport? Ur engine does right? Maybe 2013 doesn't have it..
Old 12-31-14, 09:29 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Ur steering wheel isn't highlighted when u change to Sport? Ur engine does right? Maybe 2013 doesn't have it..
I don't recall what the screen highlights when making drive mode changes. The engine fuel mapping and transmission shift points definitely change to more aggressive parameters in Sport drive mode.

HERE is the chart that shows what changes in the 2013 when changing drive modes. See the 3rd page down, which is actually Page 7 in the pdf.
Old 12-31-14, 09:43 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

It does have it (EPS), without AVS in Sport only mode.
Old 12-31-14, 09:46 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

It does have it (EPS), without AVS in Sport only mode.
Right you are! Described as 'Increased Steering Feedback'
Old 12-31-14, 10:45 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I cannot seem to find out what actually takes place to the steering in Sport drive mode to provide 'Increased Steering Feedback'. I think it's nothing more than a slight increase in effort to turn the steering wheel, which is probably accomplished by altering the control ports for circulating power steering fluid.

Quick Reply: Premium GS vs F-sport