GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Average MPG on 2014-2015 GS350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-14, 02:20 PM
Laostuh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Average MPG on 2014-2015 GS350 F Sport

Just wonder what kind of numbers you guys are getting on your GS350 F Sport in terms of gas mileage? Please include what kind of gas (premium etc) and brand of gas (chevron etc)
Old 12-25-14, 03:48 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

On my 2015, I haven't been getting very good mpg. It's been in the ballpark of 16-19 mpg on average using premium from 76 or Shell or Chevron. I'm assuming it's bad right now because car is still fairly new with less than 1500 miles. Hopefully it will improve a bit, but my 2013 mostly saw 20 mpg throughout the lease. The 8-speed doesn't seem to help much over the 6-speed.
Old 12-25-14, 08:42 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2014 GS F Sport RWD, Avg 22mpg, 91 octane, usually from Shell or Chevron. Sometimes 7/2/11
Old 12-25-14, 09:26 AM
duraiaras
Rookie

On my 2015 AWD I have 1100 miles so far in 3 weeks. Average since I bought is 18.5MPG. On a 220 mile trip yesterday on the freeway I averaged 22.5MPG. The first 800 miles are city driving. Expected and not disappointed.

Update on 12/27 - Did an other 220 mile trip mostly 60-70 mph and got 25 Average MPG.

Last edited by duraiaras; 12-27-14 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Corrected 17.5 to 18.5 and updated another trip's MPG
Old 12-25-14, 09:47 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry but to this day, I still don't understand why anyone who buys a car like this would care about mpg.
Nothing wrong with that being something you value but if that's the case, why buy this car?
Or any car like it. Someone who values mpg would be better served in a 4 cylinder or hybrid or electric vehicle where it is a non-issue. The GS is a sport sedan. It is a 6 cylinder car weighing 3700 lbs. It is not going to get great gas mileage....and I don't care.
Old 12-25-14, 10:35 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Sorry but to this day, I still don't understand why anyone who buys a car like this would care about mpg. Nothing wrong with that being something you value but if that's the case, why buy this car? Or any car like it. Someone who values mpg would be better served in a 4 cylinder or hybrid or electric vehicle where it is a non-issue. The GS is a sport sedan. It is a 6 cylinder car weighing 3700 lbs. It is not going to get great gas mileage....and I don't care.
Slightly valid point. But if my window sticker says 19 and 29 then I'd kinda look forward to achieving that. I think the EPA estimate is far fetched for our car but I am not concerned enough to actually care. Whether you like it or not, people are not achieving the estimates for the car and want to know if anyone else is. Nobody is actually saying "omg I was expecting better it's gonna break my bank" so you were a little dramatic with your response to the thread in which you're not even participating in. Thanks I guess. Edit. Nobody has even complained yet in this thread but your post makes it sounds like this a rant thread. Funny. The GS is only a sub $60k car, of course we care how much we are going to spend on gas. You make it sound like we are all buying AMG's and shouldn't care. That should be the case with the GS F. But right now the GS 350 is competing in a market of other tech savvy cars. Kinda don't want a regular car that gets the worst mpg in the class.

Last edited by sick21; 12-25-14 at 10:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fongyd85 (08-22-20)
Old 12-25-14, 11:22 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Sorry but to this day, I still don't understand why anyone who buys a car like this would care about mpg.
Nothing wrong with that being something you value but if that's the case, why buy this car?
Or any car like it. Someone who values mpg would be better served in a 4 cylinder or hybrid or electric vehicle where it is a non-issue. The GS is a sport sedan. It is a 6 cylinder car weighing 3700 lbs. It is not going to get great gas mileage....and I don't care.
Maybe the OP was just curious, I didn't pick up on any complaining from him or anyone else?
Old 12-25-14, 11:38 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Laostuh
Just wonder what kind of numbers you guys are getting on your GS350 F Sport in terms of gas mileage? Please include what kind of gas (premium etc) and brand of gas (chevron etc)
I'm getting 22. AVG MPG have gone up over time.
Old 12-25-14, 07:25 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
Maybe the OP was just curious, I didn't pick up on any complaining from him or anyone else?
Yes, he was just asking the question to compare with what other owners are seeing. Sometimes if other owners are getting significantly higher mileage there may be an issue that needs addressing. This is also interesting to me because I have a '13 and I would like to see if the 2 additional gears truly make a difference. That's what this forum is for.

I don't think any of us bought the GS expecting it to return Prius mileage.
Old 12-25-14, 07:33 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
Slightly valid point. But if my window sticker says 19 and 29 then I'd kinda look forward to achieving that. I think the EPA estimate is far fetched for our car but I am not concerned enough to actually care. Whether you like it or not, people are not achieving the estimates for the car and want to know if anyone else is. Nobody is actually saying "omg I was expecting better it's gonna break my bank" so you were a little dramatic with your response to the thread in which you're not even participating in. Thanks I guess. Edit. Nobody has even complained yet in this thread but your post makes it sounds like this a rant thread. Funny. The GS is only a sub $60k car, of course we care how much we are going to spend on gas. You make it sound like we are all buying AMG's and shouldn't care. That should be the case with the GS F. But right now the GS 350 is competing in a market of other tech savvy cars. Kinda don't want a regular car that gets the worst mpg in the class.
When you sell cars you hear this question over and over.
No one complained here and I'm not going into a rant. I just don't understand even wondering about something like mpg on a sport sedan.
In addition, most of us are kinda smart. We should know it would be unlikely we're gonna get what is written on the window sticker. Those estimates are achieved at lower speeds than we typically drive in the real world. On the highway, I drive 70-90 mph. No way I'm gonna get what they claim. Not even trying. I want to enjoy the V6. If I wanted high mileage I would buy another car.
So its not a rant. I just don't get it.
Old 12-25-14, 07:49 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Not another mpg thread again? I get close to the posted mpg on the window sticker on my car. I get about 18 in the city and 28 on the highway and 24 mpg combined. I have a theory that people who drive the fsport version for some reason are not getting good mpg but people with the luxury version gets mpgs as labeled on window sticker.

Also I drive my car in a spirited fashion so its not like i am hypermilling or trying to be economic. I always do full throttle when entering a freeway ramp everyday and I still get as posted mpgs.
Old 12-26-14, 10:59 AM
Laostuh
Driver School Candidate

So I cant start a thread and ask my fellow F Sport owners a question? I'm not complaining by any means. What makes you think I value my MPG? If that were true I wouldnt be on this forum Lexus isnt known for its fuel efficiency. But thanks for your reply.

My reason for this thread was to simply find out what others are averaging and what they are doing to achieve those MPGS. Its not rant LIKE OMG I CANT AFFORD THE GAS WTF DID I DO ?! WHY THE HELL AM I NOT GETTING THE 19/29 ?!?! LOL PLEASE ....

Last edited by Laostuh; 12-26-14 at 11:23 AM.
hungtdao (01-30-23)
Old 12-26-14, 02:41 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

When you sell cars you hear this question over and over.
No one complained here and I'm not going into a rant. I just don't understand even wondering about something like mpg on a sport sedan.
In addition, most of us are kinda smart. We should know it would be unlikely we're gonna get what is written on the window sticker. Those estimates are achieved at lower speeds than we typically drive in the real world. On the highway, I drive 70-90 mph. No way I'm gonna get what they claim. Not even trying. I want to enjoy the V6. If I wanted high mileage I would buy another car.
So its not a rant. I just don't get it.
Here's my take, hopefully you can "get it" or at least understand another point of view, even if you don't need to agree with it:

the MPG is a reflection of the technology in the powertrain system.

You can use the greater efficiency for greater miles or you can use it for power. In an ideal car if you can get good mpg, it means it has been well thought out and not wasting power when the operator is not needing it.

Let's be honest, this is the same toyota and lexus engine designed in 2005. Perhaps it's has been tuned and perfected, but it is getting long in the tooth and amazing that nothing generationally new has come out in 10years.

So getting good MPG is a reflection of the tagline of pursuit of perfection, and not just wasting energy needlessly when it is not being called for.
Old 12-26-14, 06:36 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Laostuh
So I cant start a thread and ask my fellow F Sport owners a question? I'm not complaining by any means. What makes you think I value my MPG? If that were true I wouldnt be on this forum Lexus isnt known for its fuel efficiency. But thanks for your reply.

My reason for this thread was to simply find out what others are averaging and what they are doing to achieve those MPGS. Its not rant LIKE OMG I CANT AFFORD THE GAS WTF DID I DO ?! WHY THE HELL AM I NOT GETTING THE 19/29 ?!?! LOL PLEASE ....
Amen, brother. This forum is all about asking questions and receiving input. If we can't do that we may as well just shut it down. If people don't appreciate the questions they have the option of skipping the thread (or sticking with the 3GS forum for that matter).
hungtdao (01-30-23)
Old 12-27-14, 12:02 AM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
On my 2015, I haven't been getting very good mpg. It's been in the ballpark of 16-19 mpg on average using premium from 76 or Shell or Chevron. I'm assuming it's bad right now because car is still fairly new with less than 1500 miles. Hopefully it will improve a bit, but my 2013 mostly saw 20 mpg throughout the lease. The 8-speed doesn't seem to help much over the 6-speed.
Im also getting 16-18 as of now ... I put Chevron/shell/mobil/76 (91 octane)

Cars always on ECO as well