GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

The way others handle your car.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-14, 07:10 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
You may want to try some plastic scratch remover. They really make it to eliminate scratches on clear plastic like headlight covers and guage screens, but it may work on that as well. If not, maybe a coat of Armor-All or black shoe polish.
Nope, believe me I've tried every plastic polish and scratch removers available in the stores and nothing will bring that back to life. Textured plastic is last thing u want to get damaged, shiny plastic can be polished. What u can do is blend it in (fade it) with the surrounding area and make it less noticeable.
Old 12-23-14, 08:07 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Id buy some carbon fiber wrap or wrap texture of your choice and wrap those plastic pillers and the other side too for balance. That way if they scratch it again you can pull it off and reinstall on the cheap. This will also hide any exisiting scratches or dents.
Old 12-23-14, 08:48 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a couple of invisible shield for ipad and put it on. Protect the plastic well and if it got scratch I just peel it off.
If you put it on now it will help hiding the scratch on the trim so it won't bother you.
Old 12-24-14, 08:06 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I've had dealer porter scratched my door panel (must've kicked it while getting out) and tore up my steering wheel cover (I really don't know how this happened but good thing I have a cover!! ). The problem with those textured plastic is u can't buff it, they need to be replaced if u want the scratches gone.
Yeah, I don't get this either... What is it with dealership employees always feeling the need to use their freaking foot to open the door... You can clearly tell where their boot/shoe was used on the bottom of the door panel..

Drives me nuts...
Old 12-24-14, 08:27 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

Looks like it was probably a tool belt or some other sort of hanging item on the technician.

We took our Avalon for service and ended up with a cut in our driver side leather seat. They replaced the leather. (All done at a Toyota dealer)

I would tell your dealer to replace the door panel.
Old 12-24-14, 02:19 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thekhmer
In Oregon they pump your gas for u and the attendants always leave the gas cap hanging there on the cars paint which pisses me off
Originally Posted by kmm
I always thought it odd that only residents of Oregon, of the entire U.S. populace, are deemed not competent to safely pump their own gas.
Originally Posted by popping
New Jersey too
parts of Long Island too (Huntington) The attendants really put force when opening the cover and of course leave the cap hanging
Old 12-24-14, 04:16 PM
kevings03
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP,

This would **** me off the highest degree. You, seem to have a much better attitude about it though...

"lol, not so rough"....and that's great for you.

If I was you I'd consider the suggestion that Jtrue28 just gave above, about showing it to the dealership and seeing if they can replace the damaged part.

We all work hard to have nice things, and it's frustrating when this kind of thing happens. If someone parks next to me and has a complete piece of junk, I will still treat it like it's a one-off Ferrari. I just wish the rest of the world thought the same way.

Last edited by kevings03; 12-24-14 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-24-14, 07:23 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You can try this if it really bothers you...

Old 12-25-14, 01:20 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Don't Go To This Car Wash In Your Lexus!

Old 12-25-14, 05:58 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

And California wants to give an illegal undocumented hispanic immigrant the right to drive. Yeah.....I think i will give my money to a professional detailer that prides in his own work and pay that $100 minimum fee or do it myself.
Old 12-26-14, 11:26 AM
hziemba
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kmm
I always thought it odd that only residents of Oregon, of the entire U.S. populace, are deemed not competent to safely pump their own gas.
Safety may have bee the initial justification for it many decades ago, but it's a pretty weak one today. The real reason to keep it is economics.

The big plus of no self serve in NJ is that our prices contain no premium. In other words, our full service is about the same as self-serve in the neighboring states.

If NJ allowed self-serve, does anybody really think that our prices would go down? You can be sure that full serve prices would shoot up to match neighboring states (20-25 cents per gallon) and self serve price would not drop. Why would I want that?

Sure, there are idiot attendants who spill gas on the side of the car, but the overwhelming majority of the stations I fill at are careful. I'd rather sit in the car on a cold, rainy day instead of standing out there.

I remember when they used to check the oil as a part of "full service" (long time ago). Today, there are still stations that routinely clean your windshield!

I can see the part about safety, to some extent, but I'd rather leave things as they are.
Old 01-07-15, 09:31 AM
exjd111
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canada

Originally Posted by kmm
I wish they pumped your gas for you here in Canada, especially in the freezing cold winters. who wants to stand outside in the freezing cold just for some gas.
Old 01-07-15, 10:27 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hahaha, man I don't even want to post pictures of that area on my 2013. I wear alot of pants and shorts with metal things sticking out on the back evidently, and that area is just scarred beyond repair on my car. Occasionally I also swipe the rubber door seal with my butt too. I'm blaming it on my height.

Also, that area is scarred higher up from the OMG GET ME BACK INTO THE SLOT IMMEDIATELY action of the seatbelt when I remove it. I try being careful with it but sometimes it zips in fast by itself and whacks that plastic. All these soft touch areas and we get hard plastic for the B pillars. Literally 50 cents worth of black vinyl would be an improvement.
Old 01-07-15, 04:24 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Well son of a biaaaatcchhhh!!! My tire got cut! and of course the wheel got scraped too.

This is the last time I stepped foot in this car wash place, I'll wash this car myself from now on. The reason I brought it in is cause I'm sick today and don't feel like getting wet and this happened. Damn! This sucks beyond sucks.

I already brought it in to my dealer and had the guy look at it and scheduled for a wheel fix and loaner for next Wednesday. I told him I want a new tire and he kinda agreed with me. lol I don't wanna go back to the car wash place cause they're just gonna give me the run around bull crap and I'm too sick right now to deal with that, plus I have the wheel and tire protection pack anyway. Do u guys think this tire gonna blow up on me?
Old 01-07-15, 05:18 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Man, I hate that happened to you. It's a bit hard to tell at what angle the rubber is cut, but I don't think it will cause a problem...maybe not ever. But I wouldn't be running it more than [say] 130 mph or so.

I've yet to use it myself but there is a modern automatic tunnel car wash a few miles from me where people take high-end cars (Maserati, Farrari, Porsche, Lambo, McLaren, Rolls, Bentley, etc.) all the time with no tire or wheel damage. And from what I'm told, and have seen first-hand, this car wash doesn't cause any scratches. I may have to use it myself sometime instead of hand-washing.

Quick Reply: The way others handle your car.