GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My "new" GS450h - purchased by an average guy

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-15, 11:01 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Great question! In TX, only the registration is required by the state to be directly stuck to the windshield (without anything in between). So for that, they cut a small box in the lower left hand corner of the film (hardly noticeable).

All my other stickers were removed and then placed over the tint after application.

Hope this helps,

~ Im2bz2p345
Was clear (totally un-tinted) film installed on your front windshield? Or, did your installer use something lightly tinted (like Spectra PhotoSync 75, or 80 or 90) for the front windshield?

Also, I'm curious about a couple of things.

Did your film installer make you sign anything (e.g. exculpatory waiver) before the installer agreed to install a tinted film (if it was tinted) on your front windshield; relieving the installer of any blame and all liability as the result of installing the film on the front windshield, which is unlawful in the state of Texas?

Obviously it is too early to answer this question, but... how does the film on the front windshield affect vision when driving at night, and/or at night with rain? Do you detect any splatter, distortion, etc. that may negatively affect your ability to clearly see (visually) compared to the OE windshield without any film?

Are you aware that in case of an accident, that you having unlawful [any degree of tint] film on your front windshield could be very problematic from a legal standpoint for both you personally and your insurance provider in terms of accident causation and liability? May be something to think about... ... ...

Last edited by bclexus; 09-06-15 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-06-15, 09:31 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Was clear (totally un-tinted) film installed on your front windshield? Or, did your installer use something lightly tinted (like Spectra PhotoSync 75, or 80 or 90) for the front windshield?

Also, I'm curious about a couple of things.

Did your film installer make you sign anything (e.g. exculpatory waiver) before the installer agreed to install a tinted film (if it was tinted) on your front windshield; relieving the installer of any blame and all liability as the result of installing the film on the front windshield, which is unlawful in the state of Texas?

Obviously it is too early to answer this question, but... how does the film on the front windshield affect vision when driving at night, and/or at night with rain? Do you detect any splatter, distortion, etc. that may negatively affect your ability to clearly see (visually) compared to the OE windshield without any film?

Are you aware that in case of an accident, that you having unlawful [any degree of tint] film on your front windshield could be very problematic from a legal standpoint for both you personally and your insurance provider in terms of accident causation and liability? May be something to think about... ... ...
I have Spectra PhotoSync 75 on the front (there is no 80 or 90 - that's the highest VLT tint they make for vehicles). It's so clear that it's hard to tell it's even there. Unless you're doing something stupid, no law enforcement officer would even say anything.

I didn't have to sign anything.

Doesn't affect vision at all.. day or night.. I can't imagine rain would be a problem either. Most cars that get Spectra PhotoSync are super high end (the tint shop that I used usually applies it on on Lambos, Ferraris, Porches, etc). Its gained a massive following on the Tesla Model S too. If it impaired the vision at all of the driver, none of these drivers would get it done when they care afford the best (any other high end tint).

That would have to be a pretty severe accident for someone to examine my windshield closely enough to where they see a tint applied. At that point, I'm sure the tint would be the least of my worries. Regardless, I'm not worried about it, but if you're "by the books guy" (which your statements seem to allude to, then the front tint may not be for you).

I'm loving the amount of HEAT my cars cuts down on now. It's unbelievable the difference it makes, especially if the car is parked outside for a significant length of time.

All the best,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 09-07-15, 09:07 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I have Spectra PhotoSync 75 on the front (there is no 80 or 90 - that's the highest VLT tint they make for vehicles). It's so clear that it's hard to tell it's even there. Unless you're doing something stupid, no law enforcement officer would even say anything.

I didn't have to sign anything.
I'm really surprised that Sun Tint would risk their business by installing unlawful tint film on the front windshield. I believe Texas law specifically states it is illegal for a vendor/installer to install non-complying/illegal film, which opens the door wide for liability...not to mention you as the vehicle's owner/driver.

You may want to talk with your insurance provider or agent, and ask what consequences you may face by having illegal film on your front windshield if you were involved in an accident causing significant property damage, or injuries or death. I do not think you will sleep well at night after hearing the reply...that modifying your vehicle by adding illegal window tint may void your insurance policy. And, you probably already know how both parties' insurance companies look for reasons and excuses not to pay claims... Major injuries and/or wrongful death claim lawsuits due to negligence is a very serious matter, especially when your insurance provider says [after the fact] that your coverage is void. Just something to think about...
Old 09-07-15, 09:35 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

I'm not worried about it, but if you're "by the books guy" (which your statements seem to allude to, then the front tint may not be for you).
bclexus - I believe your missed my statement above. I know it's illegal. I understand the risk and liability. Not need to keep force feeding it.

If I was really that concerned about it, I'd reach out to an optometrist and get a medical permit for sensitivity to visible light (which is impossible to test for/detect). A buddy has one and he has less than legal tint all around his car.

Regardless, there are certain laws which are utterly stupid and this is one of them. From a distance, you wouldn't be able to tell my windshield was tinted at all unless you saw it next to OE glass. It doesn't impede my visibility in any way. I'm just using the lightest shade possible for maximum heat reduction.

Major heat reduction > the 5% chance I'll get caught with illegal tint on the front windshield. In fact, you're more likely to get pulled over & the police checking to make sure your Huper Optik is legal than I am for my windshield. Just something to think about...

Let's move on to a different topic, shall we? This is a personal decision.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 09-07-15, 09:46 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

bclexus - I believe your missed my statement above. I know it's illegal. I understand the risk and liability. Not need to keep force feeding it.

Let's move on to a different topic, shall we? This is a personal decision.

~ Im2bz2p345
Just trying to help...

Good luck to you!
Old 09-13-15, 02:59 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Created a topic in the LFA subforum, but thought that I'd post here as well.

Below are a few pictures of my 2013 GS450h with my buddy's LFA (#165) during a quick lunch in Austin,TX. It was amazing to be able to experience his supercar and he had a deep appreciation for mine as well. You really learn to appreciate the intricacies of the Lexus brand when you really explore both of these vehicles in detail.

The LFA is pearl grey exterior with a red interior.

P.S. - He didn't have a chance to clean his vehicle before meeting up, so please excuse any dirtiness.. especially a nasty bug that he hit while coming to meet up! You can see it on this lower front bumper, lol.

Enjoy!

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 03-28-24 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-13-15, 05:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Very cool!

I'm digging your chrome wheels BTW. Those wheels look better in chrome I think.
Old 09-13-15, 06:19 PM
GearGrind
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a lovely interior, and didnt know the steering wheel is made from bamboo.
Old 09-14-15, 09:14 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Very cool!

I'm digging your chrome wheels BTW. Those wheels look better in chrome I think.
Thanks Steve. I agree with you on the rims. A lot of people do their best to minimize chrome all over this vehicle, but I find it provides a lot of elegance to this class.

Originally Posted by GearGrind
what a lovely interior, and didnt know the steering wheel is made from bamboo.
Thanks for passing on some love GearGrind!

It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I honestly love the bamboo accents in the interior. Each of the the bamboo steering wheels was hand assembled & hand polished. Toyota/Lexus outsourced the entire process to a company in Japan called Miroku Techo Wood who developed & created the bamboo steering wheel. Not an easy task if you think about how sturdy bamboo is and how resilient it is to bend (without cracking it). The bamboo steering wheel was only available on the 2013 & 2014 GS450h; unfortunately (probably due to cost & lack of sales of the hybrid models), Lexus decided to remove it as an option for the 2015+ models.

Here is a short video (2 min) that shows some "behind the scenes" on development of the bamboo steering wheel:

Enjoy,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 09-14-15, 12:37 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Below are a few pictures of my 2013 GS450h with my buddy's LFA (#163) during a quick lunch in Austin,TX. It was amazing to be able to experience his supercar and he had a deep appreciation for mine as well. You really learn to appreciate the intricacies of the Lexus brand when you really explore both of these vehicles in detail.

The LFA is pearl grey exterior with a red interior.

P.S. - He didn't have a chance to clean his vehicle before meeting up, so please excuse any dirtiness.. especially a nasty bug that he hit while coming to meet up! You can see it on this lower front bumper, lol.

Enjoy!

~ Im2bz2p345
Cool. I saw a red/red one once. Very nice indeed. I think your friend was just being nice to his (nice) friend.
Old 09-14-15, 04:33 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Cool. I saw a red/red one once. Very nice indeed. I think your friend was just being nice to his (nice) friend.
I'm sure being a nice friend might have created bias in his words, but you can't doubt the GS's build quality.. construction materials used.. all combined with the reliability of the Lexus brand.

Also for individual's who care about efficiency relative to power - a daily drive that produces nearly 340 hp & roughly 300 ft/lb of torque.. weight nearly 2 tons (packed with luxury/comfort/etc).. accelerates to 60 in a little over 5.5 seconds.. can comfortably seat 4-5 passengers & has plenty of space for cargo.. while delivering a combined mpg of 30+.. who wouldn't show a bit of appreciation?

Each of our cars are aimed at completely different individuals & market segments (i.e. for those who are crazy about the F sport lineup: IS-F, RC-F, GS-F, etc.. the LFA is the ultimate machine). But anyone who understands the vast difference between both of these rare vehicles would show some appreciation for what Lexus has done to create value for the customer.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 09-15-15, 09:02 PM
1fuzzybk
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im2bz2p345,
For your clear bra how far up the hood did you go?

What number of tint did you go with on the sides and back? You probably mentioned it but I can't find it.

Thanks,
~1fuzzybk~
Old 09-16-15, 01:54 AM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-15, 09:37 AM
Punish3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Beautiful ride, the interior looks amazing!
Old 09-16-15, 12:45 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1fuzzybk
Im2bz2p345,
For your clear bra how far up the hood did you go?

What number of tint did you go with on the sides and back? You probably mentioned it but I can't find it.

Thanks,
~1fuzzybk~
Hi 1fuzzybk,

My XPEL Ultimate clear bra is only a "partial" hood so if I had to estimate, it's roughly 16 inches up from the center of the hood.

The tint is as 55% on the driver & passenger side windows. My whole reason for me tinting wasn't necessarily to get the whole dark limo windows look (I could care less if someone peeks into my car or not), but more for SOLAR HEAT rejection (which is an almost a MUST in sunny climates like Texas). This is precisely why I went with the leader in current tint technology (Spectra), despite the premium they charge for their tint. Their tint has the highest TSER (Total Solar Energy Rejection), which is the best measure in determining amount of heat rejection.

I actually never mentioned the above information in my posts here, but added it along with my pictures now because you're not the first to ask.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by hube
Nice!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Punish3r
Congrats! Beautiful ride, the interior looks amazing!
Thank you for the compliments hube & Punish3r!

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 09-22-15 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: My "new" GS450h - purchased by an average guy