GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

High mileage 13 GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-14, 04:26 PM
buddhallah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High mileage 13 GS

I bought a high mileage GS. Had ~65K on the odo. I have no idea how the original owner put that many miles on it in such a short timeframe.
Purchase price was 35K. I feel like I got a pretty good deal on it but the mileage is a little worrisome.
Was it a good deal? Anything I should be worried about with such a high mileage car?
Also I bought the lexus extra care platinum extended warranty which is for 4 yrs and 50k miles from purchase.
I really think I got ripped off though on the warranty because I paid $4700. And from reading some of the posts I overpaid by alot.
I feel like even if I got a good deal on the car, the dealership got their money back and then some on the warranty.
Old 12-18-14, 05:20 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by buddhallah
I bought a high mileage GS. Had ~65K on the odo. I have no idea how the original owner put that many miles on it in such a short timeframe.
Purchase price was 35K. I feel like I got a pretty good deal on it but the mileage is a little worrisome.
Was it a good deal? Anything I should be worried about with such a high mileage car?
Also I bought the lexus extra care platinum extended warranty which is for 4 yrs and 50k miles from purchase.
I really think I got ripped off though on the warranty because I paid $4700. And from reading some of the posts I overpaid by alot.
I feel like even if I got a good deal on the car, the dealership got their money back and then some on the warranty.
I think you might have paid too much. When I took my car into CarMax towards the end of it's lease, they gave me an offer for $32K for my F-sport (rare nebula with flaxen) that was MSRP $59K. It only had about 32K miles. Also, dealer offered extended warranty tends to be really expensive and not really worth it. Usually has too many hoops that you have jump through for them to honor it. Lexus tends to be pretty reliable, so I probably would've skipped the extended stuff since you probably won't use it. I bet it doesn't cover any maintenance stuff so unless you have complete engine failure or transmission breaks, then it would be wasted.
Old 12-18-14, 05:39 PM
thholr
Rookie

I paid $39K out the door for my 2013 with 30K miles that is certified. So I think you paid a bit too much But dont worry about it . If you are happy with the car then it is all good.
Old 12-18-14, 05:42 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I think you've overpaid by at least $5,000. For that price you could have gotten one with less miles. Did you shop around or bought the first one you found?

Don't worry about the mileage though. Toyota's.... I mean Lexus is rock solid.
Old 12-18-14, 06:34 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey, the deal is done. Just go enjoy the car! I paid $60k for my '13 GS new, so with that in mind you got a good deal. My uncle owned a car dealership, and he always said "Miles don't hurt a car as much as age." In Lexus Land, your GS is just broken in.
Old 12-18-14, 08:31 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The price seems high. Does the 35K you paid include the price of the platinum warranty?

Mechanically you should be fine and that extra care platinum extended warranty pretty much covers everything else (including AC, electronics, etc). I wouldn't be concerned about reliability.
Old 12-18-14, 10:35 PM
buddhallah
Driver School Candidate

It was 35k for the car, the warranty was extra.
The consensus is i paid to much.

Is anyone familiar with the warranty? Should I be getting maintenance done at the dealership? I don't like the idea of giving them more money.
Old 12-18-14, 11:07 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I am pretty sure you can cancel the warranty and get your money back. You'd be better off getting your money back and putting it in the bank and only use it if needed. Your GS should be very reliable. 60K is nothing for a Toyota/Lexus. You don't need to have maintenance done at the dealer as long as you find a good mechanic somewhere or you do things yourself.
Old 12-18-14, 11:24 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

A lot of extended warranties require you to take it to dealership for maintenance if you want them to honor stuff later on. Might want to ask them for details. I agree that you're better off asking for your money back and saving it for any repairs later on.
Old 12-19-14, 06:04 AM
thholr
Rookie

I would maybe even take it back and consider rebuying it from one of the other lexus dealers who will sell extended warranties over the internet. They are soo much cheaper. For example, when we bought our Toyota Sienna earlier this year they wanted $3500 for the 125K platinum warranty. I got a quote from a lexus dealer in New Orleans who sells toyota platinum warranties for the same exact warrant for $1100. So you would be much better off going that route.
Old 12-19-14, 06:20 AM
mryeh17
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with thholr, if you enjoy it than you didn't pay too much.

You don't mention the options on your GS, these could impact the comparison with pricing others got, as well as your personal enjoyment of the vehicle. I have a tiny one-car garage so I really appreciate the parking assist, while someone else who parks outside or has a larger garage might not appreciate this option as much.
Old 12-19-14, 09:27 AM
buddhallah
Driver School Candidate

It's a fsport with ML audio, Navi, BSM, park assist.

Does anyone have contact info for a dealership where I can get the platinum warranty? Getting a refund and buying the warranty cheaper sounds like a good option to me.
Old 12-19-14, 09:31 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Why get a Platinum warranty? Your Lexus is practically bulletproof and if you want roadside assistance, contact your car insurance company like AAA?

Also, save yourself some money and take your car to an Independent Lexus service shop instead of the stealership.
Old 12-20-14, 04:52 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Extended warranties are such a pita and a joke. I'd save the money on a warranty, use it to buy a newer car if you're really worried. I don't think these cars are known to have hardly any issues though so...
Old 12-20-14, 08:42 AM
thholr
Rookie

Contact Toby Rivers. He can do both toyota and lexus warranties and currently has some of the best prices I have found.

Toby Rivers
Lexus of Shreveport
1-800-335-3987
tobytoyota@aol.com

Quick Reply: High mileage 13 GS