GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is there anyway to disable voice command confirmations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 09:06 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is there anyway to disable voice command confirmations?

I feel the extra step to 'confirm' your command defeats the whole purpose of making things faster and easier with voice recognition.

me - "warmer"
car - "warmer?"
me - "yes"
car- "yes"

any way to disable it?

me - "warmer"

that's it.
Old 12-16-14, 10:55 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

As fast as tech in our 4gs is going we might have that ability by the 2016 GS refresh. And no you cant have it in older models.
Old 12-17-14, 01:00 AM
frazierwa
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
As fast as tech in our 4gs is going we might have that ability by the 2016 GS refresh. And no you cant have it in older models.
And why is that, exactly? I'm running out of patience with their design methodology that makes it impossible to do firmware/software updates on the technology. The skeptic in me says they are doing that to encourage frequent purchases to get the 'new stuff' but there is a risk when you use coercive measures. Not only it frustrating, but it is seriously inhibiting the advancement of the technology which is emerging as an important factor in brand selection. I expect regular and frequent updates should be downloaded to my car as improvements are made and bugs fixed.
Old 12-20-14, 07:51 AM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your frustration is shared by a LOT of people on this forum....and has been expressed for a long time. Lexus has heard, but has chosen not to change their approach.

The sad truth is that there is no car maker I know of who is better in that regard., with the lone exception of the Tesla (out of most folks' price range).
Old 12-20-14, 09:53 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Voice commands very weak on my '13. My '11 Genesis had a much better system.
Old 12-20-14, 11:09 AM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hziemba
Your frustration is shared by a LOT of people on this forum....and has been expressed for a long time. Lexus has heard, but has chosen not to change their approach.

The sad truth is that there is no car maker I know of who is better in that regard., with the lone exception of the Tesla (out of most folks' price range).
Tesla has equivalent TCO as a GS.

And Lexus needs to step up their informatics game a lot.
Old 12-21-14, 10:07 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish there was a way to disable the prompt!

The voice recognition is absolutely terrible on this car! My 3G Acura TL is much better! But then again the 5G acura TLX has a poor implementation as well!
Two steps forward and one back, as they implement new hardware that can now do xyz well, but doesn't handle abc well ??
Old 12-21-14, 12:12 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by 99alta
I wish there was a way to disable the prompt!

The voice recognition is absolutely terrible on this car! My 3G Acura TL is much better! But then again the 5G acura TLX has a poor implementation as well!
Two steps forward and one back, as they implement new hardware that can now do xyz well, but doesn't handle abc well ??
Double-clicking (instead of single-clicking) will allow you to make your request (e.g. 'Warmer') right away without going through the introduction stage. But, you will still have to go through the confirmation step.
Old 12-21-14, 05:01 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Double-clicking (instead of single-clicking) will allow you to make your request (e.g. 'Warmer') right away without going through the introduction stage. But, you will still have to go through the confirmation step.
You can disable the introduction stage in settings, but you can't disable the confirmation. I agree that it is very annoying.
Old 12-21-14, 06:25 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

This thing has difficulties understanding voice commands, it wants u to say it in a specific way. Well this ain't Siri or Google so can't expect it to work like that.
Old 12-21-14, 07:29 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I say "call home" and it asks me which track I want to play. I have no accent.

Side note... not nearly as bad as American Home Sheild's voice recognition. It asked me what the problem was. I said "toilet". It came back with "boiler". I said "plumbing" and it came back again with something entirely different.
Old 12-21-14, 07:52 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, I say "call home" and it asks me which track I want to play. I have no accent.

Side note... not nearly as bad as American Home Sheild's voice recognition. It asked me what the problem was. I said "toilet". It came back with "boiler". I said "plumbing" and it came back again with something entirely different.
So, you stopped up the toilet huh?
Old 12-22-14, 09:01 AM
frazierwa
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Well this ain't Siri or Google so can't expect it to work like that.[/QUOTE]

I know! ... and yet, there Google and Siri are; ready for implementation. But instead, car manufacturers insist on reinventing the wheel... and we know how long it took to perfect that.

I'll predict that when one of the manufacturers learn how to do this (VR, user updatable firmware and software, Wi-Fi integration for diagnostics, performance reporting, and configuration change) they will have an opportunity to rule the world... for a short time until their competitors make a similar investment.

I've heard that one of the impediments to advancement in this area is the heavy government regulations around everything automotive. Probably some truth to that, but like most things impeded by regulations, it merely increases the price tag.
Old 12-22-14, 09:33 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

True, even when it works voice commands just take longer and usually doesnt recognize half the things I am asking for... just getting me frustrated and distracted from the task at hand - DRIVING...

Not why I bought the car though anyhow, and I certainly wouldnt trade it in for a car that I could chat with!!
Old 12-22-14, 09:38 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Once they implement the iOS in the car / Apple CarPlay, that'll change the whole game. We're talking advance voice commands, unlimited map updates, more apps, etc. Another reason to wait for the next gens.

Quick Reply: Is there anyway to disable voice command confirmations?