GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Difference between 13, 14, 15 ?

Old 12-13-14, 06:55 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
Oh that makes sense I picked up 15 GS F Sport and I thought there was not that many big changes to the previous 13,14 models. So I'm going to be listening to HD Radio
To be clear, they're saying the '15 uses HD radio service to get traffic data to put on the navigation screen. The 2013 does have HD radio for listening to radio stations but uses SiriusXM satellite radio to get traffic data.

And yes, the SiriusXM traffic service is too limited in it's coverage and adds to your monthly SiriusXM subscription price.

HD (Hybrid Digital) is broadcast by local radio stations as side-carries to their main analog signals from ground-based transmitters. It is not high definition.
Old 12-13-14, 07:54 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
To be clear, they're saying the '15 uses HD radio service to get traffic data to put on the navigation screen. The 2013 does have HD radio for listening to radio stations but uses SiriusXM satellite radio to get traffic data.

And yes, the SiriusXM traffic service is too limited in it's coverage and adds to your monthly SiriusXM subscription price.

HD (Hybrid Digital) is broadcast by local radio stations as side-carries to their main analog signals from ground-based transmitters. It is not high definition.
There are pro's and con's on using either realtime traffic. With HD traffic you have to be near a radio station that broadcast it to get traffic info but you do get better traffic info when you do have it, just not in the rural country desert areas. HD traffic is free.

With XM traffic you always will have traffic data where ever you go but it is limited to big highways and interstates and it sometimes kinda slow to update. But you do get traffic where no radio stations are nearby. Xm Traffic requires a fee but fee can be negotiated.
Old 09-07-15, 12:19 PM
Eis
Driver School Candidate

In 2015 Canada, additionally to the new navigation system, the Luxury Package gains

- Blind Spot Monitor
- Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
- Linear Espresso Wood Trim

I found a brand new 2014 that is advertised $250 below a brand new 2015. The 2014 is in the showroom with shop wear (i.e. wrinkled leather from people getting in and out, minor scuffs, dings, and scratches.)

No one will buy the 2014 if it is only a few hundreds less than the 2015 (with incentives for the 2015). How much should I be offering for the new 2014? I know the 2014 is a loser for the dealership, and they have another 2014 base model too.

The 2015 is $58,000 - $6,000 incentives.
The 2014 is $52,000. It is September now.

I want to thank you guys again for all the buying and ownership information!

Last edited by Eis; 09-07-15 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-07-15, 02:20 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eis
In 2015 Canada, additionally to the new navigation system, the Luxury Package gains

- Blind Spot Monitor
- Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
- Linear Espresso Wood Trim

I found a brand new 2014 that is advertised $250 below a brand new 2015. The 2014 is in the showroom with shop wear (i.e. wrinkled leather from people getting in and out, minor scuffs, dings, and scratches.)

No one will buy the 2014 if it is only a few hundreds less than the 2015 (with incentives for the 2015). How much should I be offering for the new 2014? I know the 2014 is a loser for the dealership, and they have another 2014 base model too.

The 2015 is $58,000 - $6,000 incentives.
The 2014 is $52,000. It is September now.

I want to thank you guys again for all the buying and ownership information!
Those seem like MSRP price you listed?
For the 2014 you can get it for $47-48,000
Old 09-07-15, 05:29 PM
thholr
Rookie

I would assume the same $6K off that they are doing on the 2015 plus at least $2-3K off for it being a year older and having some minimal wear and tear. There really is no mileage on it , so if the wear and tear is bad then make them fix it.
Old 09-07-15, 11:13 PM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

After waiting months to learn what I already knew (that the '16 GS is nothing I'd ever want), today I traded my '13 F Sport for a '15 and as expected, virtually all of the nits I had about the '13 have been squashed.

Big Wins:

Double pane glass (noticed this within the first freeway mile...and I thought the old car was quiet).
Next-gen nav: FAR better; it might even compete with my phone for a year or two.
Backup camera display now inspires confidence in a way fixed grid displays can't.
Finished trunk with a properly balanced trunk lid: my '13 trunk lid was a joke; it even hit me in the head this morning as a last act of defiance.
Ventilated seats now do what I want without dealer reprogramming and the switchology is much improved.

Honorable Mentions::

Exhaust note is definitely changed, perhaps a bit more refined-sounding.
Power mirrors cool, but largely irrelevant to me.

I could live without the F Sport badge on the trunk.

I haven't driven enough to have an opinion re: 6 vs. 8 speed trans, but the drive home was certainly no disappointment.

Still one of the best cars you can own...maybe the best practical sports sedan there is.
Old 09-07-15, 11:31 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 5pm
after waiting months to learn what i already knew (that the '16 gs is nothing i'd ever want), today i traded my '13 f sport for a '15 and as expected, virtually all of the nits i had about the '13 have been squashed.

Big wins:

Double pane glass (noticed this within the first freeway mile...and i thought the old car was quiet).
Next-gen nav: Far better; it might even compete with my phone for a year or two.
Backup camera display now inspires confidence in a way fixed grid displays can't.
Finished trunk with a properly balanced trunk lid: My '13 trunk lid was a joke; it even hit me in the head this morning as a last act of defiance.
Ventilated seats now do what i want without dealer reprogramming and the switchology is much improved.

Honorable mentions::

I could live without the f sport badge on the trunk.

I haven't driven enough to have an opinion re: 6 vs. 8 speed trans, but the drive home was certainly no disappointment.

Still one of the best cars you can own...maybe the best practical sports sedan there is.
a 2015 gs f sport has a f sport badge....
Old 09-07-15, 11:38 PM
5PM
Driver

a 2015 gs f sport has a f sport badge....
Uhh...yeah, and I'd rather it did not, like my '13. Just a personal preference.
Old 09-08-15, 07:46 AM
Cathy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5PM
After waiting months to learn what I already knew (that the '16 GS is nothing I'd ever want), today I traded my '13 F Sport for a '15 and as expected, virtually all of the nits I had about the '13 have been squashed.

Big Wins:

Double pane glass (noticed this within the first freeway mile...and I thought the old car was quiet).
Next-gen nav: FAR better; it might even compete with my phone for a year or two.
Finished trunk with a properly balanced trunk lid: my '13 trunk lid was a joke; it even hit me in the head this morning as a last act of defiance.
Ventilated seats now do what I want without dealer reprogramming and the switchology is much improved.

Can you elaborate how the 15 navi is better than 13? and is there anyway to know if my glass is double pane or not?
Old 09-08-15, 08:05 AM
5PM
Driver

Originally Posted by Cathy
Can you elaborate how the 15 navi is better than 13? and is there anyway to know if my glass is double pane or not?
Only have a minute right now, but the single/dual ("acoustic" in Lexus speak) window issue was discussed to death a while back; it boils down to this picture:

Old 09-08-15, 09:01 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Cathy
It has 3D view, improved voice command which also allows you to say entire address in one line, HD radio traffic and weather updates (no monthly fees), etc.

The car navi still isn't as good as my phone, but mostly tolerable.
Old 09-08-15, 10:26 AM
akuma88
Rookie

Thats it?? Honestly the only thing I wish my car had was Power Folding Mirrors and Trunk. The navi screens on all cars are worthless!!
Old 09-08-15, 11:16 AM
Cathy
Rookie

Originally Posted by dchar
It has 3D view, improved voice command which also allows you to say entire address in one line, HD radio traffic and weather updates (no monthly fees), etc.

The car navi still isn't as good as my phone, but mostly tolerable.
thats a good start, but how good is it at recognizing your voice in the first place???
Old 09-08-15, 11:27 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 5PM

Big Wins:

Also came from a 13... First thing I noticed was the door closes a lot softer. A big nice thing about 15 is rcta which for some reason not listed on the spec sheet. I love this feature. Another one I really like is Enform Remote. Such a wonderful feature esp with the heat right now. I don't mind the engine shut off upon unlocking the car. One more new thing I notice is you can now do iPod video. Not sure if this is placebo but I feel the premium sound sounds better than my 13 premium. I searched it up but couldn't find any info on these systems. I agree... still one of the best in its class.