GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
View Poll Results: Car Wash - How do you keep your GS clean during the colder, less favorable months?
Hand Wash - DIY
42.11%
Hand Wash - Pay Detailer
13.16%
Automatic - Touchless
23.68%
Automatic Drive-Through - Brush and/or Cloth Mitter Curtain
21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Car Wash - How do you keep your GS clean during the colder, less favorable months?

Old 12-02-14, 10:10 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Hand Wash or ECO-Wash. and always Use Meguiars Products such as Wax, Polish, Detailer, sometimes Compound..
Old 12-02-14, 10:13 AM
shookatash
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys are lucky to not be in a drought where you will get scowls if you wash your car. but then i guess our "cold" weather isn't as bad as yours. I wash my car by leaving it outside when it rains...
Old 12-02-14, 12:20 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

My dealer gives us free car washes for the life of the car via their touch-less car was machine. They also have people wipe the windows and dry the car. I use it from time to time but I still take it to my local detailer for a hand car wash to get things really clean.

I'm not too **** about my car so I let her get dirty in between washes.
Old 12-02-14, 07:09 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Scratches will def show on a silver car trust me I know I saw them when I owned my silver car, the paint is to thin.
I believe you, but you'd be hard pressed to find even a microscratch on my LP GS because I apply a coat of Hard Body Shine & Seal after the car wash.
Old 12-03-14, 10:35 AM
ISF*LYF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Chemical Guys gear...their "hose free car wash" the absolute best! Get a bucket, fill it use a cap full wash it up and dry it after (no rinse required no hose either). I also use tons of their other stuff. Their detailers, lubers, clay bars and lots of other trick products. Great on water conservation and Eco-Friendly.
Attached Thumbnails Car Wash - How do you keep your GS clean during the colder, less favorable months?-image.jpg  
Old 12-03-14, 11:48 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RK_FSprt
I use Chemical Guys gear...their "hose free car wash" the absolute best! Get a bucket, fill it use a cap full wash it up and dry it after (no rinse required no hose either). I also use tons of their other stuff. Their detailers, lubers, clay bars and lots of other trick products. Great on water conservation and Eco-Friendly.

Old 12-03-14, 12:21 PM
ISF*LYF
Driver

I take it Islanbeef you've used or know of CG's. I also think your photo outranks mine
Old 12-03-14, 01:25 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RK_FSprt
I take it Islanbeef you've used or know of CG's. I also think your photo outranks mine
CG's = Computer Graphics? I know a little, it helps pay the bills.
Old 12-03-14, 01:48 PM
ISF*LYF
Driver

Originally Posted by islandbeef
CG's = Computer Graphics? I know a little, it helps pay the bills.
Good effort...CG Is Chemical Guys. Figured since your from SoCal you might have purchased from them, or something.
Old 04-13-15, 05:10 PM
Haldol
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Xpel film protection in 90 percent of the car, so automatic brushed car washes are not worry some to me. I buy these car wash coupons where it cost 3 dollars to wash, dry, and vaccum the car. The guys are fast and takes about 15 minutes. In Texas, the weather is hot most of the year, so it is not very appealing to hand wash the car.
Old 04-13-15, 05:21 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I DO NOT recommend taking your GS through a car wash that touches your car. As some of you know, I have had several vehicles and I've never had any issues near this bad before as I do with my Liquid Plat GS. Both of the car washes I go to are fairly new and reputable. My car is scratched to **** for some odd reason. Extremely bummed about it.

This is my front bumper.
Old 04-13-15, 07:32 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Damn Sick that is bad. I don't think the deep scratches will buff out. I started washing my own car ever since my rim and tire got slashed by the carwash guy.
Old 04-13-15, 07:40 PM
sonyfan
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm cheap so I do my own hand wash.
Old 04-13-15, 11:26 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 396 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by faifai83
DIY - Coin Operated, Spray only (No Brush, except for the wheels)

Boooooooooooooooooooooom same here
Old 04-14-15, 08:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
I DO NOT recommend taking your GS through a car wash that touches your car. As some of you know, I have had several vehicles and I've never had any issues near this bad before as I do with my Liquid Plat GS. Both of the car washes I go to are fairly new and reputable. My car is scratched to **** for some odd reason. [/IMG]

This is my front bumper.
Does this carwash have a spinning tire/wheel brush? That scratching in in an up/down motion, what moves along your car in a carwash moves along the side. Some carwashes have stiff tire/wheel brushes that cause damage like this. I would avoid those, and they will do that and destroy your wheels too.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about:

When selecting a carwash that won't destroy your car, you have to understand that less is more. I know the guy who owns the carwash I use and we've had this discussion. The consumer generally thinks more is more, they want to see more spinning things, longer tunnels, wheel brushes, all sorts of soaps and things being sprayed, thats what they perceive as value. But...the more things that touch and flop against your car the more possibilities for damage. So you want less stuff...not more.

You also want to make sure it uses lots of sudsy soap. Sudsy soap acts as a lubricant.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Wash - How do you keep your GS clean during the colder, less favorable months?