GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

The German competition at the SF Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-14, 10:40 PM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The German competition at the SF Auto Show

We took a look at Audi and BMW interiors tonight. Awful! Audi seems to be obsessed with a chocolate brown look for the 2015 models...three years ago I felt they had the best looking interiors on the market, but now they're like sitting in dad's old brown shoe (there may be other options but this is what they chose to put on display). BMW just seems cheap, at least in the M3 and 4 series (they didn't have a 5 series on the floor, which is kind of incredible considering how many they sell around here). Both are WAY too busy: too many buttons, too many lines, too many pointless details. The only interior we felt was as nice or nicer than our GS F Sport was in a 750il and the seats in that car are not the equal of the seats in ours.

Also, I don't know how I could ever live with the relatively tiny LCDs in all of these cars after the cinemascope experience in the Lexus.
Old 11-29-14, 05:16 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Agreed! Thats why i bought my GS is for the interior. The competition needs alot of work to do to one up on the GS interior.
Old 11-29-14, 08:57 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

7 series are money pits when it comes to cost of maintenance and repairs.
Old 11-29-14, 09:10 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by islandbeef
7 series are money pits when it comes to cost of maintenance and repairs.
When you say money pits it reminds me of Oak Island. Lol
Old 11-29-14, 09:32 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the gs interior is by far the nicest for the segment.

although the 5 series interior isnt too bad, just too many buttons in the center stack
Old 11-29-14, 11:21 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
When you say money pits it reminds me of Oak Island. Lol
Or a hot girlfriend.
Old 11-29-14, 01:59 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I own one of each right now. I like the GS interior a lot, but the 5 series is just as nice in my opinion. I like the Audi interior but I do rate it behind the other two in style.

It's pretty goofy though to make comments about the color when it's available in several other colors. Here's a couple of pics of my new A 7....

Last edited by jjscsix; 11-30-14 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-29-14, 05:04 PM
thholr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are aspects of each that are nice. I spent quite a lot of time in all of them A6, 535 and the GS before buying the GS. The 535 felt a lot smaller than the GS which is why I stayed away from that, plus everything is an extra option. My biggest let down with the BMW though was the fact that the M Sport Package is nothing more than wheels and some body panels. There are no better seats, brakes, nothing that might actually impact performance. That took me by surprise.
I did like the audi interior a lot. It is a very nice place to be as well. Felt roomier than the 5 series and nicer overall. I test drove a few 2012's with 40ish thousand miles on them to see how they ware and they seemed to creek a bit which worried me. I also thought the GS drove and sounded a little better. But the overall reliability in the GS is what sold me the most. I think it is a toss up between the Audi and the GS for nicest interiors.
Old 11-29-14, 07:07 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I really love the lighting in the GS interior at night. I do like the red and white lighting in the Audi though. I will have to agree with the original poster that the Audi colors several years ago were great. I had a Tuscan Brown interior in my S5 Cab and it was beautiful. (The dark brown in the pics looks nice as well.)

The only car in the segment I would really consider an equal to the GS is the CLS. Great interior and ambient lighting. A friend of mine has one and it is quite nice.
Old 11-29-14, 07:27 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by thholr
There are aspects of each that are nice. I spent quite a lot of time in all of them A6, 535 and the GS before buying the GS. The 535 felt a lot smaller than the GS which is why I stayed away from that, plus everything is an extra option. My biggest let down with the BMW though was the fact that the M Sport Package is nothing more than wheels and some body panels. There are no better seats, brakes, nothing that might actually impact performance. That took me by surprise.
I did like the audi interior a lot. It is a very nice place to be as well. Felt roomier than the 5 series and nicer overall. I test drove a few 2012's with 40ish thousand miles on them to see how they ware and they seemed to creek a bit which worried me. I also thought the GS drove and sounded a little better. But the overall reliability in the GS is what sold me the most. I think it is a toss up between the Audi and the GS for nicest interiors.
The M Sport does have different suspension tuning.
Old 11-29-14, 07:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

The secret to BMW interiors is you have to get the upgrades. I too found the basic 5 Series interiors plain and drab and uninspired, but when you upgrade them to Napa leather, multi-contour seating, alcantara headliners, ceramic controls, and the driver display packages, they get REALLY nice...nicer than the GS. But...those upgrades are very expensive, and most 535s on the lot don't have them, while every GS has a very nice interior, and the luxury interior is a big upgrade, they also are pretty common.

As for the brown, the chocolate brown is in right now. Everybody has it...everybody but Lexus anyways. I love it.

Upgrades:

Old 11-30-14, 06:47 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The secret to BMW interiors is you have to get the upgrades. I too found the basic 5 Series interiors plain and drab and uninspired, but when you upgrade them to Napa leather, multi-contour seating, alcantara headliners, ceramic controls, and the driver display packages, they get REALLY nice...nicer than the GS. But...those upgrades are very expensive, and most 535s on the lot don't have them, while every GS has a very nice interior, and the luxury interior is a big upgrade, they also are pretty common.

As for the brown, the chocolate brown is in right now. Everybody has it...everybody but Lexus anyways. I love it.

Upgrades:

Although agree with you that an upgraded interior of BMW is very nice. I have to say that BMW just lost a potential customer by making there mid level trim to base trim level very drab and dull. People who buy cars will spend most of there time inside one and it must look and feel nice otherwise they wont buy it. Lexus is great at making all there interiors luxurious even though its a base model or luxury model it still looks good so more people will beore likly to buy there cars. While people who want a nice interior in a bmw has to spend thousands more. Id pick the GS any day of the week and used the money saved and go on vacation while still enjoying my GS interior.
Old 11-30-14, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree 100%. It is improving at BMW though. I have a friend with a new X5 with the base interior and its very nice, in the brown color above. The 5 Series is nicer than it was before the refresh, but its still the old style interior vs the new style interior on the X5.

You can go on more than a vacation with the money saved with the GS over a 535 lol.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-30-14 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-30-14, 07:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I agree 100%. It is improving at BMW though. I have a friend with a new X5 with the base interior and its very nice, in the brown color above. The 5 Series is nicer than it was before the refresh, but its still the old style interior vs the new style interior on the X5.
I love black interior but would definitely go with that brown.
Old 11-30-14, 08:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I love the brown. I like the Flaxen on mine, but would have definitely chosen a dark brown.

I like black interiors too, I've just had so many of them.

Quick Reply: The German competition at the SF Auto Show