GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2015 GS 350 F Sport lease

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 05:07 PM
rtuimauga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my current offer MSRP $57k Sales price $51k, 3 yr/15k, RV $35K, MF .0009 $528 mth 0 down. Good or no? Want to do MSD's after I finalize numbers.
Old 12-30-14, 09:04 PM
edittman1
Rookie

Originally Posted by rtuimauga
Here is my current offer MSRP $57k Sales price $51k, 3 yr/15k, RV $35K, MF .0009 $528 mth 0 down. Good or no? Want to do MSD's after I finalize numbers.
I think that sounds pretty good based on my $516 with all the same stats for 12k miles. You are getting 3k miles more. At $0.25 / mile over, that's $750 more. You're paying $12 more x 12 months, that's $144 / yr. You're coming out ahead of me.

In theory, they should drop you down to 12k miles for $465 a month, but the residual will go up a little..
Old 12-30-14, 09:53 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by edittman1
You get what I was saying. That's good!

My thought is to essentially lease for 36 months, then buy the vehicle for 60 months, effectively making it an 8 year financing. Yes, I will keep the car and I understand that may be a little optimistic.

The only concern I have, is what is the Total Cost of Ownership for these two scenarios:

1. 3 year Lease + 5 Year Finance
2. 5 year Finance

The sales tax will amount to the same, since the purchase price will be deferred eventually in scenario 1. Question is, what does a .00090 money factor translate to in a "finance charge"? Is that equal to 0.09% financing? If so, that's killer.

Or, if in scenario 2, the APR is .09% for the 5 years, whereas in scenario 1, I get .09% for the first three years, then it goes to 4% when I have to buy it as a "used car", then the deal sours a little.

At the end of the day, I'm not really worried about $500. It's a $50k car. If you are worried about $500 you should be buying a camry.

--

One guy already quoted me $516 on $0 down for 36 months on a 2015 btw..
I get what youre saying because I am considering this option and calculated all these factors and did the math both ways myself!

When I did the calculations using my selling price and the 1.9% which is what Lexus is offering for a 60 month purchase on a new GS, vs leasing at .00090 and then paying 3% interest on the residual which is what you can get on a used car today I found I would save just a little under 3 grand overall if I were to simply finance vs lease.. The big difference though is the monthly payments and/or huge down payments to try and keep it in my monthly budget. And really, 2-3% for 8 years is just awesome!

If you plan to keep the car a long time, and want some dough in your account in the meantime then the lease to purchase may make sense. If you can afford the huge down and/or monthly payments now then perhaps the finance may make sense to save a few grand. If you pay cash then you can avoid interest altogether and save the most, but again that's an even more painful blow to a bank account!

I decided on the lease ( to likely purchase) because it didnt tie up too many funds in the short term and monthly. Even though it will cost me a bit more in the long run there is something to be said about savings now vs savings over time of course. I was originally looking at used 2013's that are still going for well over $40-45k, so a new 2015 for $51k, and a selling price of $36k down the road didnt sound too bad!

Youre quote does not mention the selling price or miles, hard to tell if thats a great deal or not.. always work with the selling price with the dealers to know your getting the best deal. If the dealers get you focused on just the payment, they will probably win.

Youre right though, if you really want to save some serious cash, the GS is not going to beat the Camry!! These are expensive machines known as luxury cars and that's what they are.. either scenario you are paying over $60k for one of these over the course of time.

Let us know what you do and best of luck!
Old 12-31-14, 10:49 AM
rtuimauga
Driver School Candidate

I think that sounds pretty good based on my $516 with all the same stats for 12k miles. You are getting 3k miles more. At $0.25 / mile over, that's $750 more. You're paying $12 more x 12 months, that's $144 / yr. You're coming out ahead of me.

In theory, they should drop you down to 12k miles for $465 a month, but the residual will go up a little..
So my dealer is wanting to add the dealer BS add-on's totaling $1285 so now I'm at $52k. Still a good deal?
Old 01-01-15, 06:27 AM
Khandfw
Driver

Got it @ MF.00090 27month 12k miles Residual: 39396 (70%) Lexus pays first month; $1250 down $490 a month in DFW, TX

2013 Silver to 2015 Blk
2015 GS 350 F Sport lease-image-2405569442.jpg

Last edited by Khandfw; 01-03-15 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-01-15, 06:44 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Khandfw
Got it @ MF.00090 27month 12k miles Residual: 39396 (70%) Lexus pays first month; $1250 down $490 a month in DFW, TX

Not bad... in the past I would have never considered a lease, but seeing as I like to get a new car every 3 years I am really looking at it now. My issue has always been miles driven. I average around 20,000 miles a year as my work commute is long. I need to figure out the additional cost of purchasing those miles...
Old 01-02-15, 12:26 AM
sandyeggo
Driver School Candidate

You get what I was saying. That's good!

My thought is to essentially lease for 36 months, then buy the vehicle for 60 months, effectively making it an 8 year financing. Yes, I will keep the car and I understand that may be a little optimistic.

The only concern I have, is what is the Total Cost of Ownership for these two scenarios:

1. 3 year Lease + 5 Year Finance
2. 5 year Finance

The sales tax will amount to the same, since the purchase price will be deferred eventually in scenario 1. Question is, what does a .00090 money factor translate to in a "finance charge"? Is that equal to 0.09% financing? If so, that's killer.

Or, if in scenario 2, the APR is .09% for the 5 years, whereas in scenario 1, I get .09% for the first three years, then it goes to 4% when I have to buy it as a "used car", then the deal sours a little.

At the end of the day, I'm not really worried about $500. It's a $50k car. If you are worried about $500 you should be buying a camry.

--

One guy already quoted me $516 on $0 down for 36 months on a 2015 btw..
Where did you get the $516 quote from? I'm in San Diego...in the market as well...
Old 01-02-15, 02:34 PM
edittman1
Rookie

Originally Posted by sandyeggo
Where did you get the $516 quote from? I'm in San Diego...in the market as well...
I believe it was Lexus of Pleasanton.

I need to figure out my Prius to trade in, without taking a bath on it. Residual is $15.8k or so, but I'm way over the miles and kbb says it's worth 14,500 via private party sale. If they gave me that, I pay the difference, and got me in a gs350 F sport for 3 years for under $500/mo I would sign tomorrow.
Old 01-03-15, 12:47 PM
xruined901
Driver School Candidate

Looking to lease a 2015 GS 350 AWD in the Northeast, 36mo/10K miles. Anyone with experiences shopping/leasing this in Northeast? Have one offer for $50600 on MSRP of $54800 for an AWD. Not sure if I can do better in NE region (VA to MA)

Northeast seems to get the worst deals for this, no lease cash incentive as in some regions, and the MF seems to be higher. All dealers are reporting 0.0012 Tier 1 from VA to MA, compared to the 0.0009 in other regions. That's a $30/mo difference right there!

Also, has anyone done MSD (Multiple Security Deposits)? If so, what is the MF reduction per deposit, is it 0.000088? This might differ regionally as well, so Northeast experiences would be most helpful. I know there is a max of 9 deposits.

Crossing my fingers that the new lease factors won't get worse starting Tuesday!, as I won't have time to secure a deal before then.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-15, 03:32 PM
BlueAc215
Driver

Originally Posted by xruined901
Looking to lease a 2015 GS 350 AWD in the Northeast, 36mo/10K miles. Anyone with experiences shopping/leasing this in Northeast? Have one offer for $50600 on MSRP of $54800 for an AWD. Not sure if I can do better in NE region (VA to MA)

Northeast seems to get the worst deals for this, no lease cash incentive as in some regions, and the MF seems to be higher. All dealers are reporting 0.0012 Tier 1 from VA to MA, compared to the 0.0009 in other regions. That's a $30/mo difference right there!

Also, has anyone done MSD (Multiple Security Deposits)? If so, what is the MF reduction per deposit, is it 0.000088? This might differ regionally as well, so Northeast experiences would be most helpful. I know there is a max of 9 deposits.

Crossing my fingers that the new lease factors won't get worse starting Tuesday!, as I won't have time to secure a deal before then.

Thanks!
I just inked a deal on Monday. The best deal I could find was in Va even though I live in Philly. I got my car for a little over 51k (forget the exact number). What sucks is they charged me an extra $100 on the processing fee, theirs was $399 but everyone else's was $300. And they also slipped another fee in but their price was about 2k better than any other offer I received. The dealer showed me in his promo book that the MF was .00120, I guess that rate is regional. And MSDs were .00008 each and you can do a max of 9. Wish I could've got the lower MF but you can't win them all.
Old 01-05-15, 10:42 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Soap
Not bad... in the past I would have never considered a lease, but seeing as I like to get a new car every 3 years I am really looking at it now. My issue has always been miles driven. I average around 20,000 miles a year as my work commute is long. I need to figure out the additional cost of purchasing those miles...
The cost is 25 cents per additional mile currently on the 2015 GS deal I got.

However, you only pay the mileage penalty when you drop it off and walk away at the end of your lease term. You can trade it in prior to get a new machine and not pay the fee, or even sell it on your own to try to maximize your value and avoid the fee.

Of course the more miles you drive always affects the resale/trade in value, this is true whether you lease or purchase though.
Old 01-05-15, 10:45 AM
edittman1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Atomic350F

However, you only pay the mileage penalty when you drop it off and walk away at the end of your lease term. You can trade it in prior to get a new machine and not pay the fee, or even sell it on your own to try to maximize your value and avoid the fee.

Of course the more miles you drive always affects the resale/trade in value, this is true whether you lease or purchase though.
I want to trade in my Prius which is over by about 30k miles and up in March. I pay $200/mo and just want to walk away from it. The residual is still within fair market value, based on the listings I am seeing on Cars.com, etc.

Any idea if a swap/upgrade to new will work to trade in a Toyota for a Lexus?
Old 01-05-15, 10:57 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic350F

Yea, I have to decide if its worth it to me to lease or not. I don't mind having car notes as I like to have a new vehicle every 3 years or so but at the same time I need to watch the costs. I'm driving somewhere between 15K and 20K a year now that I am working from home 1 day per week etc.. I think anything over $550 a month on the lease is just too rich for me and I might as well put some money down and finance. I dunno though....
Old 01-05-15, 11:05 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

I want to trade in my Prius which is over by about 30k miles and up in March. I pay $200/mo and just want to walk away from it. The residual is still within fair market value, based on the listings I am seeing on Cars.com, etc.

Any idea if a swap/upgrade to new will work to trade in a Toyota for a Lexus?
Any dealer will want to sell you a new car (or used), no matter what you are trading and if you are financing, leasing, or own it already. They will take the value of the car vs what is owed and work from there to make a deal. The dealer is always the worst place to sell or trade your car dollar wise though as they wish to turn around and make a huge profit on it. But you walk in with your old car and walk out with a new one, which is convenient over trying to sell it yourself.

If you go to sell it yourself to get maximum bucks back out of it, then there's the issue of what to drive after you sell it. If you have access to another car to drive in the meantime though and are willing to spend some time advertising, negotiating, and selling your car on our own you will likely save some cash vs the dealer trade in. There advantages and disadvantages to each approach, and you need to decide what is best for your situation.

You can have the dealer quote you a trade in value, then see how that compares to market value to help decide. You can normally sell a car fairly quickly for a grand or two more than a dealer would pay, as they will likely quote you well below low blue book.
Old 01-05-15, 11:18 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Soap
Yea, I have to decide if its worth it to me to lease or not. I don't mind having car notes as I like to have a new vehicle every 3 years or so but at the same time I need to watch the costs. I'm driving somewhere between 15K and 20K a year now that I am working from home 1 day per week etc.. I think anything over $550 a month on the lease is just too rich for me and I might as well put some money down and finance. I dunno though....
Sounds like leasing may make sense for you given your budget and the type of car you are looking to drive, but perhaps the GS may not be your best bet budget wise. My deal was zero out of pocket, $504 per month (first month on Lexus) plus tax for 3 years at 15k miles per year for the $57,685 msrp. After tax that is right at $545 per month which is about max budget for you so this may be a tough choice unless you really love the car and willing to max out your budget. If you want to buy other stuff every month instead of putting it all in you car, I would highly consider the IS350 as the lease would be way more affordable, roughly 100 bucks or more back in your pocket per month. Comparable performance and mileage (slightly better), although less interior space though if you need the roominess of the GS.

Definitely drive both cars to see what makes sense for your budget and needs!

Quick Reply: 2015 GS 350 F Sport lease