GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Window Tint Master thread (pictures, products, issues - merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-15, 10:57 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sibs
Hey guys - about to get my windows done. Being quoted around ~230 for Huper Optik Ceramic or Llumar (LlumaStar CTX) 35%. Fair deal?
super cheap for Huper ceramic. Are you sure its the ceramic they're quoting you? and how many windows?
Old 07-08-15, 12:26 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom4GS
- 30% all around
- Atomic silver/black interior
- Formula One PInnacle by LLumar ceramic tint, paid $450

-Tom
Looks great Tom.

Which spoiler are you running?
Old 07-08-15, 05:15 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Originally Posted by popping
super cheap for Huper ceramic. Are you sure its the ceramic they're quoting you? and how many windows?
I would certainly think it depends on if the Huper Optiks Automotive Ceramic Film is single pane or dual pane film.
Old 07-09-15, 09:24 AM
sibs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually i suspect its not for the ceramic, too good to be true
Old 07-19-15, 10:28 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

So I picked up a new to me GS350 about a week ago and it already had tint installed on it. It's a 2013 so the previous owner installed some really light tint all around. I always have limo in the rear and back windows for all my cars and keep it legal on the front two windows. I feel like im in a fish bowl even with the current window tint. I'm actually looking into getting it removed and was told by a reputable tint shop that I shouldn't mess with the rear window as I could end up damaging the rear defroster. Has anyone here removed tint on the rear window without damaging the rear defroster? I asked why it would be a problem, and the shop owner said that the tint hasn't had a chance to breakdown because the car is so new. I then stopped by another tint shop and was told that it wouldn't be a problem and that they could take care of me. I was quoted for 3M color stable for $150 and an additional $80 to remove all the old tint including the rear window. What do y'all suggest I do? This shop seemed reputable as well, though I have never done business with them.
Old 07-20-15, 03:33 AM
jhyphen
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4GS Window Tint Master thread (pictures, products, issues - merged threads)

Well from what I hear and experienced retinting glass isnt the best. My 2013 GS was tinted and detinted before I bought it. My tint guys told me that the chemicals used to remove the tint compromise the glass which makes it harder for a flawless retint. They did not mention any issues with rear defrost nor have I had any. All in all my retint came out pretty good. I've used them before on a previous car and know that they do excellent work. They did suggest having my insurance replace my glass after the winter to get fresh glass but I haven't done that yet. You can check my photo albums for pics of my car. I'm 20% all around also using Madico Charcool.
Old 07-20-15, 09:28 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sevn86
So I picked up a new to me GS350 about a week ago and it already had tint installed on it. It's a 2013 so the previous owner installed some really light tint all around. I always have limo in the rear and back windows for all my cars and keep it legal on the front two windows. I feel like im in a fish bowl even with the current window tint. I'm actually looking into getting it removed and was told by a reputable tint shop that I shouldn't mess with the rear window as I could end up damaging the rear defroster. Has anyone here removed tint on the rear window without damaging the rear defroster? I asked why it would be a problem, and the shop owner said that the tint hasn't had a chance to breakdown because the car is so new. I then stopped by another tint shop and was told that it wouldn't be a problem and that they could take care of me. I was quoted for 3M color stable for $150 and an additional $80 to remove all the old tint including the rear window. What do y'all suggest I do? This shop seemed reputable as well, though I have never done business with them.
I had mine removed and redone with ceramic tints. My old tints were also too light for my taste. If you find a good tinter, they will be able to remove the tints w/o damaging your rear defroster. Tints is removed w/ heat and/or solution to break down the glue. I wouldn't take it to the guy you talked to based on what he said. He is scared to do it, so in my opinion, not experienced enough.

My guy removed all my tints for 150, i paid 450 for 35% pinnacle ceramic tints all the way around, including 50% on my windshield.

Last edited by popping; 07-20-15 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-20-15, 02:20 PM
SSTG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe they use Steam to remove the tint as to not damage the heater elements.
Old 07-20-15, 04:07 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jhyphen
Well from what I hear and experienced retinting glass isnt the best. My 2013 GS was tinted and detinted before I bought it. My tint guys told me that the chemicals used to remove the tint compromise the glass which makes it harder for a flawless retint. They did not mention any issues with rear defrost nor have I had any. All in all my retint came out pretty good. I've used them before on a previous car and know that they do excellent work. They did suggest having my insurance replace my glass after the winter to get fresh glass but I haven't done that yet. You can check my photo albums for pics of my car. I'm 20% all around also using Madico Charcool.
I had mine removed and redone with ceramic tints. My old tints were also too light for my taste. If you find a good tinter, they will be able to remove the tints w/o damaging your rear defroster. Tints is removed w/ heat and/or solution to break down the glue. I wouldn't take it to the guy you talked to based on what he said. He is scared to do it, so in my opinion, not experienced enough.

My guy removed all my tints for 150, i paid 450 for 35% pinnacle ceramic tints all the way around, including 50% on my windshield.
Originally Posted by SSTG
I believe they use Steam to remove the tint as to not damage the heater elements.
Thanks for the replies, I guess I will take my chances and get the tint redone. I'm gonna stop by two more shops and see what they say. I've used llumar before and I've also had experience with Suntek carbon. I don't want to spend too much on tint so are there any other films that y'all recommend I look into? Is 3M color stable on the lower end of tint films? I just hate how light my current tint is, otherwise I wouldnt have messed with them. Current tint seems to be 35% all around. It was previously owned in Florida and I think the legal limit there is like 33% or something...idk. I've also heard of the 409 and garbage bag trick to remove old tint. Idk if it works or not though.
Old 07-21-15, 12:15 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Thanks for the replies, I guess I will take my chances and get the tint redone. I'm gonna stop by two more shops and see what they say. I've used llumar before and I've also had experience with Suntek carbon. I don't want to spend too much on tint so are there any other films that y'all recommend I look into? Is 3M color stable on the lower end of tint films? I just hate how light my current tint is, otherwise I wouldnt have messed with them. Current tint seems to be 35% all around. It was previously owned in Florida and I think the legal limit there is like 33% or something...idk. I've also heard of the 409 and garbage bag trick to remove old tint. Idk if it works or not though.
I was just in houston for the past week! Thinking about moving there. Here's my 2 cents.

You have a 50K+ car, why not shell out a little more to get the best. That said, get ceramic 18%, it will help cut down on the heat. It was so hot in houston, i'm still rehydrating myself. lol

Also do your windshield.
Old 07-23-15, 10:39 AM
NebulaGrey
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

35% all around. before/after. suntek cxp - $220.
Attached Thumbnails 4GS Window Tint Master thread (pictures, products, issues - merged threads)-tint.jpg  
Old 11-10-15, 09:15 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Finally got my GS retinted today. Went with Suntek Carbon 25% front two windows and 5% for the rear passenger and back windows. Love how it looks now. Will update post with pics tomorrow if it isn't raining. Finally I have some privacy in my own car.
Old 11-11-15, 10:00 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Suntek Carbon
25% Front Two windows
5% Rear windows and back glass

Old 12-04-15, 03:10 PM
kochiman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, newbie here, any recommendations on tint shop in Ventura county or San Fernando valley area in So Cal.? Also, preference on brand? 3M vs Huper vs Pinnacle. Are they all same in quality? thanks.
Old 08-12-16, 10:17 PM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Getting my tint redone with 3M color stable and crystalline tomorrow morning. Still debating on what % to get for the windows and windshield. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: 4GS Window Tint Master thread (pictures, products, issues - merged threads)