GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS in the SNOW (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-14, 07:55 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh I hope there is another route for tire changes. $160 to rotate my tires twice a year is crazy! I've always rotated my tires myself while doing an oil change or other service work.
Old 12-14-14, 08:10 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
GS and Lexus in general does not have a good AWD system. It does ok in the snow, but nothing to rave about. RWD with winter tires gets through the snow just as good. Which is why I'm not too sure why Lexus is trying to shove their AWD down our throats here in the East or folks up North. I sure did not buy a Lexus for their AWD, If I wanted a good snowmobile I would probably get an Acura or Audi.
LOL, I was thinking the same thing !
The new Acura TLX is quite a bit different with their AWD implementtion ( quite whizzy). Seems to work a lot better in the snow.
But for summer driving the GS AWD smokes the TLX for performance driving.
Old 12-14-14, 08:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
GS and Lexus in general does not have a good AWD system. It does ok in the snow, but nothing to rave about. RWD with winter tires gets through the snow just as good. Which is why I'm not too sure why Lexus is trying to shove their AWD down our throats here in the East or folks up North. I sure did not buy a Lexus for their AWD, If I wanted a good snowmobile I would probably get an Acura or Audi.
I completely disagree. Like I said in my post last year, in snow less than maybe 4 inches, I think the GS is better in the snow than our Jeep. Now, that was my 2011 Jeep without a low range and without all the different 4WD modes our 2014 has, I'll make that comparison when we have snow. But, I was VERY impressed with the GS. If you're in Alberta in a snow storm in very cold temps, the allseason tires are downright dangerous to use...AWD or not. But here, with 3-4 inches of snow and a say 30 degree F temp, I really thought the car was great.

I still would have bought RWD, just because we do have the Jeep...but if I didn't I'd be happy to have the GS in the garage as a snow car.

RWD with winter tires will beat ANY AWD vehicle with all season tires. Put winter tires on the AWD GS and it would be incredible in the snow.
Old 12-14-14, 10:33 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Old 12-15-14, 12:21 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo#t=74
Old 03-20-15, 10:58 AM
wiredup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control - RWD in snow

I've searched the forums - didn't quite see the answer I was looking for...

Being the snow, Traction Control is great, but when the car (drive by wire) suppresses the power the rear wheels, it sometimes inhibits your ability to get "unstuck."

I believe it's VSC vs. Traction Control (or limited slip). Anyone know how to sustain traction control while disabling VSC on the 2013 GS RWD?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-20-15, 11:12 AM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

You would want to do the opposite of that, actually. Disable traction control while keeping VSC on. Doing that will allow you to get some wheel spin going on to get "unstuck" and is the main reason the off button for the traction control exists.

VSC is the system that intervenes when the car starts to slide or turn in a way that doesn't correspond to what you're doing with the steering wheel. It doesn't do anything when you're not moving.
Old 03-20-15, 11:42 AM
wiredup
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FishBike
You would want to do the opposite of that, actually. Disable traction control while keeping VSC on. Doing that will allow you to get some wheel spin going on to get "unstuck" and is the main reason the off button for the traction control exists.

VSC is the system that intervenes when the car starts to slide or turn in a way that doesn't correspond to what you're doing with the steering wheel. It doesn't do anything when you're not moving.
Fishbike,

When I disable VSC/Traction Control, I have no limited slip but can spin the wheels as much as I wish. I want traction control and spin the wheels. I don't want the car to reduce power to the wheels.

Does that make sense?
Old 03-20-15, 12:16 PM
FishBike
Pole Position

I get what you mean now. I think both of those functions (brake application for electronic limited slip function when one wheel spins, and throttle reduction when both wheels spin) are turned off at the same time by the traction control switch. I don't think there is a way to have one on, and the other off.
Old 03-20-15, 12:30 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried that nifty little button next to the drive mode ****, labeled "SNOW"?

Never used it myself, but I think its there for a reason, wonder if it works!!
Old 03-20-15, 12:33 PM
FishBike
Pole Position

All the "snow" button does is make the car start out in 2nd gear instead of 1st. It does make it easier to get rolling without as much wheelspin. But it sounds like wiredup would like MORE wheelspin, not less.
Old 03-20-15, 12:59 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Good to know what it does, thanks!

Ohh, he wants MORE wheel spin to get unstuck huh? ... Ok then!!

When I have been stuck in the snow it is usually due to wheelspin, but I am from California, what do I know!?!
Old 03-20-15, 01:10 PM
wiredup
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
Good to know what it does, thanks!

Ohh, he wants MORE wheel spin to get unstuck huh? ... Ok then!!

When I have been stuck in the snow it is usually due to wheelspin, but I am from California, what do I know!?!
I'm looking for BOTH wheels to concurrently spin vs. one which is usually the one with the lease grip.
Old 03-20-15, 01:43 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Ahhh like a limited slip differential.. this makes sense to me!

I want to say leaving everything on is supposed to give this effect, yet maybe it just doesnt work that great for snow conditions. From the Lexus 4gs press release:

"The standard Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) anticipates loss of vehicle control and governs all of the vehicle’s dynamic handling systems – the Anti-lock Braking System, Brake Assist (BA), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction Control (TRAC) -with the electronic throttle control system. VDIM employs these systems collectively and seamlessly to help make corrections while allowing higher dynamic capability. The system also provides a limited slip differential effect."
Old 03-20-15, 01:48 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

You know some Lexus have a true limited slip differential, like the IS F and the RC F, and the new GS F is supposed to get one too..

You may be able to get an OEM style lsd borrowing parts from these other cars, it wouldn't be cheap but it would be AWESOME!!!

Maybe someone on the forums has done the homework here?

Quick Reply: GS in the SNOW (merged threads)