GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus navigation map updates for only $99

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-16, 09:39 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

On December 23rd (10 months ago) I had the NAV '2015 Map' installed.

This is the information that was on the Lexus paperwork: (MAP DATA. T1:73. T2:99. FP: PT219 - HDD07 - 13)

My NAV Map Information states: Map Version: 21-15-17 [2015-06-1]
Old 10-23-16, 09:27 AM
socialnet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
On December 23rd (10 months ago) I had the NAV '2015 Map' installed.

This is the information that was on the Lexus paperwork: (MAP DATA. T1:73. T2:99. FP: PT219 - HDD07 - 13)

My NAV Map Information states: Map Version: 21-15-17 [2015-06-1]
How much did they charge ?
Old 10-23-16, 01:26 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by socialnet
How much did they charge ?
My map update was done at no-charge, but I'll have to tell you what happened.

The first time I took my GS 350 in to my local Lexus dealership (with an appointment and loaner car) the Lexus computer that handles the map updates nationwide (not located at the dealership) crashed and they couldn't even begin the map update. The second time I took it in (with an appointment and loaner car) they began the map update, but Lexus' computer crashed before they got finished - but my original map was still usable. The third time I took it in (with an appointment and loaner car) they were able to update the NAV with the latest v15.1 map update. When I came to pick up my car my service advisor told me the map update was done at no-charge as a one-time goodwill gesture because it took three trips to finally get the NAV map updated. I did not complain nor did I ask for any price reduction because of the two previous times. This goodwill gesture saved me around $300. ($169 plus 1 hour labor at $130 hr.), which I really didn't mind paying. It was not a big inconvenience for me because the Lexus dealership is only a few miles from my house, and I received a loaner each time. Anyway, the entire map update usually takes between one and two hours, with the longest part of the process being the transfer of map data from the Lexus computer (I'm told). The final time they kept my car a total of 3.5 hours, which was over the typical lunch period. I enjoyed driving a new RX350, NX200t and ES300h long enough to realize that I'd never buy a NX200t or an ES300h...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is what was stated on the Lexus service paperwork:

THIS REPAIR IS NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY. IT IS BEING PERFORMED AS A ONE TIME GOODWILL GESTURE SOLEL CLIENT STATES: UPDATE AND CALIBRATE NAVIGATION SYSTEM - UPDATED NAVIGATION - NEW DATA AVAILABLE 866999 90 INSTALL LATEST MAP DATA T1:73. T2:99. FP: PT219 - HDD07 - 21-15-17 [2015-06-1]

LEXUS SERVICE GENERAL DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE TO THE CAR BESIDES WHAT IS LISTED ABOVE, DO NOT TOUCH TIRES OR ANYTHING ELSE ON THE CAR. NO MPI PER CLIENT REQUEST. NO CAR WASH RETURN TO THE SERVICE DRIVE - CLIENT STATES: NO CAR WASH - RETURN TO THE SERVICE DRIVE
Old 10-23-16, 01:29 PM
socialnet
Driver School Candidate

My map update was done at no-charge, but I'll have to tell you what happened.

The first time I took my GS 350 in to my local Lexus dealership (with an appointment and loaner car) the Lexus computer that handles the map updates nationwide (not located at the dealership) crashed and they couldn't even begin the map update. The second time I took it in (with an appointment and loaner car) they began the map update, but Lexus' computer crashed before they got finished - but my original map was still usable. The third time I took it in (with an appointment and loaner car) they were able to update the NAV with the latest v15.1 map update. When I came to pick up my car my service advisor told me the map update was done at no-charge as a one-time goodwill gesture because it took three trips to finally get the NAV map updated. I did not complain nor did I ask for any price reduction because of the two previous times. This goodwill gesture saved me around $300. ($169 plus 1 hour labor at $130 hr.), which I really didn't mind paying. It was not a big inconvenience for me because the Lexus dealership is only a few miles from my house, and I received a loaner each time. Anyway, the entire map update usually takes between one and two hours, with the longest part of the process being the transfer of map data from the Lexus computer (I'm told). The final time they kept my car a total of 3.5 hours, which was over the typical lunch period. I enjoyed driving a new RX350, NX200t and ES300h long enough to realize that I'd never buy a NX200t or an ES300h...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is what was stated on the Lexus service paperwork:

THIS REPAIR IS NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY. IT IS BEING PERFORMED AS A ONE TIME GOODWILL GESTURE SOLEL CLIENT STATES: UPDATE AND CALIBRATE NAVIGATION SYSTEM - UPDATED NAVIGATION - NEW DATA AVAILABLE 866999 90 INSTALL LATEST MAP DATA T1:73. T2:99. FP: PT219 - HDD07 - 21-15-17 [2015-06-1]

LEXUS SERVICE GENERAL DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE TO THE CAR BESIDES WHAT IS LISTED ABOVE, DO NOT TOUCH TIRES OR ANYTHING ELSE ON THE CAR. NO MPI PER CLIENT REQUEST. NO CAR WASH RETURN TO THE SERVICE DRIVE - CLIENT STATES: NO CAR WASH - RETURN TO THE SERVICE DRIVE
That is a crazy experience and if that was me i would be upset since my closest dealer is 30ish minutes away haha.

Good to know , thanks for the input .
Old 10-23-16, 02:23 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by socialnet
That is a crazy experience and if that was me i would be upset since my closest dealer is 30ish minutes away haha.

Good to know , thanks for the input .
You're welcome.

To answer your original question - the cost of the latest NAV map update is about $300.00 ($169.00 plus 1 Hour Labor @ $130.00). I think dealers sometimes offer the previous map update at a reduced price of $99.00 plus 1 Hour Labor for a couple of months (maybe October, November) before the next new map update comes out, thus a savings of $70.00. In other words, you should be able to get the 2015 map update for $99 plus labor about this time of year - whereas the new 2016 map update will be available probably in another month or so (probably December).

I'm in Dallas and we've had so many new toll roads, Interstate changes, highways, roads and streets that the original map (dated 2012) did not show - it was really out-of-date. Updates on a zillion Points-of-Interests was helpful too.

Last edited by bclexus; 10-23-16 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-24-16, 02:38 PM
jdigga99
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're welcome.

To answer your original question - the cost of the latest NAV map update is about $300.00 ($169.00 plus 1 Hour Labor @ $130.00). I think dealers sometimes offer the previous map update at a reduced price of $99.00 plus 1 Hour Labor for a couple of months (maybe October, November) before the next new map update comes out, thus a savings of $70.00. In other words, you should be able to get the 2015 map update for $99 plus labor about this time of year - whereas the new 2016 map update will be available probably in another month or so (probably December).

I'm in Dallas and we've had so many new toll roads, Interstate changes, highways, roads and streets that the original map (dated 2012) did not show - it was really out-of-date. Updates on a zillion Points-of-Interests was helpful too.
I'm in Dallas too and travel to Houston often. With all the construction going on in both cities an updated map pack would be very helpful...I'll have to keep my eyes open for some late in the year specials...$300 is way more than i want to pay for updated maps.
Old 10-24-16, 02:56 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Just to make certain I am clear, there is no way to do this yourself (it has to be a Dealer provided update)?
Old 10-24-16, 03:16 PM
jdigga99
Driver

Originally Posted by DallasDave
Just to make certain I am clear, there is no way to do this yourself (it has to be a Dealer provided update)?
From reading different threads on CL that's how I believe it goes. Allegedly they have to connect some secure terminal to some main Lexus mainframe nonsense...and it takes at least an hour or so depending on their connection. I honestly feel it should be as easy as providing the update on a USB/thumb drive. But i guess that would make too much sense.
Old 10-24-16, 04:33 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jdigga99
From reading different threads on CL that's how I believe it goes. Allegedly they have to connect some secure terminal to some main Lexus mainframe nonsense...and it takes at least an hour or so depending on their connection. I honestly feel it should be as easy as providing the update on a USB/thumb drive. But i guess that would make too much sense.
Correct. Unlike years ago when the map updates came on prepackaged media such as CDs the map updates nowadays must be coded to a specific vehicle by VIN number before it is available - and only then can the map update be downloaded from Lexus corporate servers to the Lexus dealership computer - and then downloaded from the Lexus dealership's computer to the specific vehicle. That's my understanding...
Old 10-24-16, 05:18 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

I wonder what the rationalization was for this process. Files/data too large? Doubt it, BMW and others provide USB updates. Perhaps it's more of a piracy thing or just another revenue stream for the Dealers.
Old 10-24-16, 07:07 PM
pamiboy
Driver School Candidate

I like the part about not getting the car washed from the dealership. The OP must be a car detailing enthusiast and would likely freak out at the sign of first swirl.
Way to go. :thumbs up:
Old 10-24-16, 07:56 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by pamiboy
I like the part about not getting the car washed from the dealership. The OP must be a car detailing enthusiast and would likely freak out at the sign of first swirl.
Way to go. :thumbs up:
I do the same. I request no wash and no vac each time I take my car in. The less they touch it the safer it is from getting damaged.
Old 10-25-16, 03:38 PM
jdigga99
Driver

I wonder what the rationalization was for this process. Files/data too large? Doubt it, BMW and others provide USB updates. Perhaps it's more of a piracy thing or just another revenue stream for the Dealers.
My guess is the revenue stream option....I don't see any other reason to make this so complicated. Unless they are worried about opening the system up to getting hacked or something? Idk...
Old 03-01-17, 08:49 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Can this be done at the Toyota dealer for less? Looking to update my 2013 maps.
Old 03-01-17, 09:09 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by e60bmw
Can this be done at the Toyota dealer for less? Looking to update my 2013 maps.
No. The way I understand the process is - a new NAV map must be requested by a Lexus dealership from Lexus corporate's mainframe computer, which is then downloaded (from the Lexus mainframe computer) to the Lexus dealership's computer. Then, the new NAV map is installed from the dealership's local computer to the specific vehicle via the USB port. Before a NAV map can be downloaded/installed to a vehicle the dealership's computer must be given the vehicle's VIN number.

Quick Reply: Lexus navigation map updates for only $99