GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

TSB:Aluminum Door Panel Trim Dented by Seat Belt Latchplate

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 08:24 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,287 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by mong
You guys think the dealer will replace my center console where the shifter is at? Is a CPO and it got some dents on it
That is something you should have negotiated with the dealer before you agreed to purchase the car...or, maybe you were careless and dented it yourself.

Why do you think the dealer might be willing to replace it? They won't - anymore than they'd be willing to repair a dent in the dash trim over the glove box. Damaging the dash trim over the glove box is from carelessness.

The reason why there is a TSB to replace dented door trim is because Lexus realized there was a problem whereby the heavy seat belt buckle can hit the door trim when a person releases the buckle and dents the thin trim. It should be noted that this damage is not caused by carelessness, but by a normal routine event. The replacement door trim is said to be thicker and less likely to dent. With reference to the center console trim being dented - that was clearly caused by carelessness because even though the trim may be thin there is no routine event that would cause it to dent. I think you're not going to have any luck getting the dealer to replace it now.
Old 10-10-16, 09:40 AM
Tcagle
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just had my door trims and the trim above the glove box replaced by the dealership. The TSB covered the door trim but they did a "Goodwill adjustment" for the part above the glove box so I didn't have to pay anything.
Old 10-13-16, 11:20 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcagle
Just had my door trims and the trim above the glove box replaced by the dealership. The TSB covered the door trim but they did a "Goodwill adjustment" for the part above the glove box so I didn't have to pay anything.
You have a good dealership!

I'm getting the repair done tomorrow and I have the "Lexus" logo projectors on the door panels. Should I take them off and put the OEM back one? Last time that they checked if my car qualified for this TSB the service advisor nor tech said anything about them. They are plug n play and no wires had to be spliced.
Old 10-13-16, 11:22 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I got denied saying mine is a 2015 and not valid for this TSB... I have dents all over
Old 10-13-16, 11:30 AM
badman5
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm new to lexus. (Still looking for a 14 GS :/) How does this work? Do i just show up, get a loaner, leave my car and pick it up when its done? Or do i need i need to wait for the part to arrive and/or schedule in advance?
Old 10-13-16, 12:21 PM
Tcagle
Rookie

Originally Posted by badman5
I'm new to lexus. (Still looking for a 14 GS :/) How does this work? Do i just show up, get a loaner, leave my car and pick it up when its done? Or do i need i need to wait for the part to arrive and/or schedule in advance?
They didn't have the parts in stock for me so they had to order. I drove my car off that day and came back the following week when the parts came in. Took about 3 hrs for them to replace all three items. They offered a loaner but I just walked to lunch and waited for a bit.
Old 10-13-16, 12:24 PM
Tcagle
Rookie

Originally Posted by LatinGSF
You have a good dealership!

I'm getting the repair done tomorrow and I have the "Lexus" logo projectors on the door panels. Should I take them off and put the OEM back one? Last time that they checked if my car qualified for this TSB the service advisor nor tech said anything about them. They are plug n play and no wires had to be spliced.
Unless they could make a claim you caused the dents I wouldn't worry about it. My dents looked exactly like the pictures in the TSB, so the Service Writer had no problem covering them under the TSB.

Shout out to Kuni Lexus in Greenwood Village, Colorado....customer friendly dealership!
Old 10-13-16, 12:31 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts

Unless they could make a claim you caused the dents I wouldn't worry about it. My dents looked exactly like the pictures in the TSB, so the Service Writer had no problem covering them under the TSB.

Shout out to Kuni Lexus in Greenwood Village, Colorado....customer friendly dealership!
Yes, I agree. The light has nothing to do with the dents.
Old 10-13-16, 12:50 PM
badman5
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

They didn't have the parts in stock for me so they had to order. I drove my car off that day and came back the following week when the parts came in. Took about 3 hrs for them to replace all three items. They offered a loaner but I just walked to lunch and waited for a bit.
Good to know, thanks. I'll just take a loaner, 3 hours is way too long and i live very close to 2 dealerships. BTW you really like switching your car colors up lol.
Old 10-14-16, 08:23 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Got mine done today while getting my 30k service done. Had a loaner for a few hours. No more dents!
Old 10-17-16, 06:56 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

It's been about a year since I had my door trim replaced. I'm sad to say I saw a dent on the passenger side closest to the seat belt. Anyone else get dents again after getting new trim?
Old 10-24-16, 05:01 AM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
It's been about a year since I had my door trim replaced. I'm sad to say I saw a dent on the passenger side closest to the seat belt. Anyone else get dents again after getting new trim?
I had mine done about two years ago and no dents to date.
Old 11-04-16, 03:52 PM
sdjdguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still an issue with 2015 model

I took my 2015 F-Sport (bought new in 2/16) to my dealer today and complained about the many small dents in the driver's door metal trim. They just called to say I was causing them with the seat belt and that they would, "as a courtesy," charge me only ~$150 for the trim piece and not charge for the labor to replace it. I then found this thread and now I don't know what to think. It's incredibly frustrating to see that this problem is supposedly fixed in the 2015 and later models so that Lexus is only covering the replacement for 2014 and earlier models, and yet I have tons of these little dents even though I am very careful with my car. It seems to me that Lexus is knowingly installing inferior trim pieces, which really disappoints me. Not remotely up to Lexus quality for such a visible interior trim piece to be so flimsy or vulnerable that it can be damaged so easily in normal use. Should I just bite the bullet and pay $150 to have this piece replaced after only 8 months?
Old 11-05-16, 03:19 AM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

I would complain or speak to management and let them know your situation. If you're able to get to Newport Lexus they usually take care of me when i'm in a jam.
Old 11-05-16, 11:20 AM
PsykotiK
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the tsb is for the 2013 and 2014 models up to a certain vin number... thats why they aren't covering your 15 free yet.. you have until the 50k warranty is up to take care of it..

Anyways.. i drove up to the dealer a couple of days ago to take care of this issue.. they took the car in right away and 90 minutes later i was on my way

Quick Reply: TSB:Aluminum Door Panel Trim Dented by Seat Belt Latchplate