GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

TSB:Aluminum Door Panel Trim Dented by Seat Belt Latchplate

Old 09-07-14, 04:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Why not just let Lexus replace the trim with the updated (meaning...thicker) trim for free?
Old 09-07-14, 06:42 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Why not just let Lexus replace the trim with the updated (meaning...thicker) trim for free?
I don't think there is a thicker aluminum trim available. One of my wishes for the updated GS F Sport is that they replace the current aluminum with one that is more durable. I probably have 10 dents on my driver's side and I don't let my seatbelt go when I unbuckle it. Cou
Old 09-07-14, 07:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

If you read the TSB it says to replace the trim with the "updated part". Meaning there is an updated part that will resist denting.
Old 09-08-14, 07:02 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Got my car back and looks good as new for now. I hope the dents don't return. They also fixed this annoying rattle from the passenger's seat under warranty. I'm happy for now.

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Hey all just a heads up make sure you bring the paper as I was told that there was no such thing. When I should he service rep my paper she said oh wow never seen that. Part is ordered and shall see it done on Saturday.
I sent in the TSB online while making the appointment. I then requested that they call me to insure it was all covered under warranty. They did confirmed this. Even then I had to show my service rep the TSB and he asked to keep my copy. They seemed to be clueless of this TSB.
Old 09-08-14, 07:50 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

So how's the new material? Is it the same? Is it thicker? Is it bulletproof now?!

Yea most dealers are clueless of TSBs, same with Toyota dealers. U come in with a copy of it and they're like.. uh.. what's that?!
Old 09-08-14, 07:52 AM
praetor
Racer

It looks and feels the same to me. I can't tell how durable it just by feel. I tried to compare it with other panels in the car and it felt the same to me.
Old 09-08-14, 10:06 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm still trying to understand how this is being dented by the seat belt. Even if you push the button to release the seat belt, your left arm is still going to catch it. And even then, the actual metal tip is next to your ****, so that is nowhere near the metal trim. What on Earth are you all doing that is causing this slingshot action to break the door?
Old 09-08-14, 10:40 AM
praetor
Racer

I honestly have never seen my seat belt latch hit the door trim. I tested several times unlatching my belt with my right arm and not supporting the seat belt. The seat belt latch does slam back rather violently and slams against the B pillar. I can only assume that on rare occasions the trim would get hit.

The TSB is also states that that is just one way the trim is getting dented. It appears to be have been built rather weak. Since I got the replacement, I am consciously supporting my belt now once unlatched.
Old 09-08-14, 07:18 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
I'm still trying to understand how this is being dented by the seat belt. Even if you push the button to release the seat belt, your left arm is still going to catch it. And even then, the actual metal tip is next to your ****, so that is nowhere near the metal trim. What on Earth are you all doing that is causing this slingshot action to break the door?
The seat belt gets hooked on your arm and it slips into the aluminum, or that's how I got my dent.
Old 09-08-14, 07:26 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I have made contact with the panel with my watch on numerous occasions. Gonna see about getting this TSB done soon.
Old 09-08-14, 07:46 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW13GS
If you read the TSB it says to replace the trim with the "updated part". Meaning there is an updated part that will resist denting.
It was my understanding that the "updated part" was something related to the seat belt that would prohibit it from hitting the panel, but the TSB does say "update trim ornament". It looks like the very same trim. Not sure what they've done to make it more dent-resistant.
Old 09-08-14, 07:58 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Default Ever hear that scraping sound you so dread?

The underground parking garage at my gym has the highest curbs and very tigth turns to get into the garage. I try to turn wide to avoid scraping my right rear wheel on the curb, but it's just really hard to judge. So, today I didn't turn sharp enough and I heard this grinding sound that seemed like it went on forever. Sure enough, 3/4 of the rim of my wheel has curb rash.

I've done that before but no nearly as bad. The downside of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are that they are flush with the wheels and add absolutely no protection. The OEM tires at least stuck out a little. Also, the darker F Sport wheels really show curb rash big time.

Anyway, I'm going in to get my rear wheel refinished for the fourth time when I get my dented aluminum trim replaced.
Old 09-11-14, 12:28 AM
louisp_p
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news! Does anyone know if we also have the same TSB in Canada?
Old 09-11-14, 01:23 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
They also fixed this annoying rattle from the passenger's seat under warranty. I'm happy for now.
Sorry for OT: How? Can you or your dealer give any description about what was fixed? Thanks a lot.
Old 09-11-14, 06:56 AM
praetor
Racer

Originally Posted by ZbynekZ
Sorry for OT: How? Can you or your dealer give any description about what was fixed? Thanks a lot.
I was told one fastener came loose and was causing a rattle. A little locktite and so far so good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TSB:Aluminum Door Panel Trim Dented by Seat Belt Latchplate