GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Back to Lexus from BMW...Any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-14, 03:40 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Over a long period of ownership, nimble and balanced trumps sloppy and torquey. The torque is entertaining, but that effect wears off after you realize you can't have much fun with it.
I'm not really sure what you are saying here, but it sounds like you are saying that strong torque is not fun. I know a lot about cars and a have owned some very fast cars (fastest being a 505 hp Z06 Corvette). If you think that the effect of torque wears off, you should spend some time in a BMW 550. The torque is incredible for such a big car, but it pulls strongly all the way to redline. It really is the best of both worlds.
Old 08-16-14, 04:58 AM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I'm not really sure what you are saying here, but it sounds like you are saying that strong torque is not fun. I know a lot about cars and a have owned some very fast cars (fastest being a 505 hp Z06 Corvette). If you think that the effect of torque wears off, you should spend some time in a BMW 550. The torque is incredible for such a big car, but it pulls strongly all the way to redline. It really is the best of both worlds.
I think what he is saying is that all that torque is fun - until you get in trouble with the law

I've heard more than a few drivers with fast cars say that they love the power but hardly ever utilize it for fear of getting a speeding ticket or worse. (In Virginia it can be far worse than a ticket, just read this: http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-v...-in-1613604053 )

My buddy has an IS-F and says the same thing.
Old 08-16-14, 08:39 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The GS does 0-60 in 5.5 sec (est) and 29 mpg hgwy (supposedly). I mean it's fairly impressive. On top of that it's probably the best sounding V6 in it's class. And I believe it's the lightest in it's class if I'm not mistaken. It really is a good trade off all around. And the fact it's working so well with the 306hp is easy on my insurance since I'm a young male, the 535 and A6 3.0T were significantly more on my insurance.
Old 08-16-14, 03:08 PM
HDEddie1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Focus on handling - DRS?

Thanks all for your input.
A very interesting post elsewhere on this forum by 'slang blade' (post #46, see below) that hit it out of the park for me.
It is indeed the nimble handling of the previous generation BMW E60 (with sport package/active stabilization) that I would like to emulate. That the Motor Trend article below thinks that the 4G Lexus GS is a "BMW in Lexus sheet metal" is even more compelling.

But, not trying to bait BMW bashing here but I never suffered high maintenance cost (maybe because I trade off not too long after warranty is up), never tire of the torque, and don't consider my 550i M Sport "sloppy" (by big sedan standards).

But, changing priorities. I don't want to push my luck with BMW. I just need an affordable (50-70K) luxury/sport sedan that will take me to 100K without any major maintenance surprises. That it is nimble and toss able is a plus.

A GS F Sport with the Dynamic Rear Steering option might be just the ticket for me. Haven't driven one yet (dealer didn't have one). Will have to special order it I'm sure. JUST WONDERING: Does DRS impart that much of a difference in a stock F Sport? Or do you have to lower car, and do wider wheels/tires to fully exploit it?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...d-i-buy-4.html

Last edited by HDEddie1; 08-16-14 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-16-14, 05:40 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
The GS does 0-60 in 5.5 sec (est) and 29 mpg hgwy (supposedly). I mean it's fairly impressive. On top of that it's probably the best sounding V6 in it's class. And I believe it's the lightest in it's class if I'm not mistaken. It really is a good trade off all around. And the fact it's working so well with the 306hp is easy on my insurance since I'm a young male, the 535 and A6 3.0T were significantly more on my insurance.
If you floor the GS from a dead stop it does feel that fast. My complaint is that when you are cruising along it is hesitant to want to get to the proper gear and does not feel that fast. My 2010 GS felt much more responsive. And you would be awed by how much faster the 550 feels.
Old 08-16-14, 06:03 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fourth generation GS is routinely touted as having superior handling to the latest generation 5 series. You're essentially giving up "mod"-ability and power (550i) for handling and reliability (Lexus GS). They're both prestigious mid-sized luxury cars so there's no difference on that front.
Old 08-16-14, 06:03 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjscsix
If you floor the GS from a dead stop it does feel that fast. My complaint is that when you are cruising along it is hesitant to want to get to the proper gear and does not feel that fast. My 2010 GS felt much more responsive. And you would be awed by how much faster the 550 feels.
I think the 6 speed they used with the 2IS and 3GS 350's was quicker off the line (different gearing maybe?). I noticed that the 3IS and the 4GS are both smooth, but less responsive. My friend's 2IS 350 feels considerably faster.
Old 08-16-14, 06:31 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HDEddie1
Thanks all for your input.
A very interesting post elsewhere on this forum by 'slang blade' (post #46, see below) that hit it out of the park for me.
It is indeed the nimble handling of the previous generation BMW E60 (with sport package/active stabilization) that I would like to emulate. That the Motor Trend article below thinks that the 4G Lexus GS is a "BMW in Lexus sheet metal" is even more compelling.

But, not trying to bait BMW bashing here but I never suffered high maintenance cost (maybe because I trade off not too long after warranty is up), never tire of the torque, and don't consider my 550i M Sport "sloppy" (by big sedan standards).

But, changing priorities. I don't want to push my luck with BMW. I just need an affordable (50-70K) luxury/sport sedan that will take me to 100K without any major maintenance surprises. That it is nimble and toss able is a plus.

A GS F Sport with the Dynamic Rear Steering option might be just the ticket for me. Haven't driven one yet (dealer didn't have one). Will have to special order it I'm sure. JUST WONDERING: Does DRS impart that much of a difference in a stock F Sport? Or do you have to lower car, and do wider wheels/tires to fully exploit it?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...d-i-buy-4.html
DRS is a must-have to extract the E60'ish performance out of the GS. You'll notice the difference when you drive it.
Old 08-16-14, 07:07 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
DRS is a must-have to extract the E60'ish performance out of the GS. You'll notice the difference when you drive it.
I've never driven a GS without DRS, but I can tell you that my car hangs tight in corners like nobody's business.
Old 08-16-14, 08:50 PM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I've never driven a GS without DRS, but I can tell you that my car hangs tight in corners like nobody's business.
Yeah, I have been quite surprised at how nimble this thing is with DRS. It really is a must have for a car this size. It feels like a much smaller car when you're pushing it.
Old 08-16-14, 09:10 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

I couldn't find one with DRS out here in CA, but didn't want to wait either. In a perfect world, I'd have one with DRS, DRCC and LKA!
Old 08-16-14, 09:35 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I couldn't find one with DRS out here in CA, but didn't want to wait either. In a perfect world, I'd have one with DRS, DRCC and LKA!
Same situation here. It's just a lease so I wasn't terribly picky, when it comes time to buy (new engines) I'll certainly be more particular, even if I have to wait a little while longer to get what I want.
Old 08-17-14, 01:00 PM
rawr2is250
Pole Position

Love lexus and will indefinitely stand by the brand
Old 08-17-14, 01:38 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ramon
Same situation here. It's just a lease so I wasn't terribly picky, when it comes time to buy (new engines) I'll certainly be more particular, even if I have to wait a little while longer to get what I want.
Agreed. New engines do scare me a bit though. I know there were issues with the early 250 engines, and they weren't even forced induction (which I'm assuming the next engine in the GS will be (3.0 turbo/twin turbo if I had to place a bet).
Old 08-17-14, 07:02 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
New engines scare the living daylights out of me. I was heavily cross-shopping the 15 Wrx(pictured to the left under my name) and per Internet research, it has a lot of ancillary, scuttlebutt and knick-knack issues I just can't deal with in addition to the obligatory rattles all new cars have these days. This is the driving force of my enjoyment with my 95 SC. It just doesn't whine(think: no rattles), moan(other then A/C but only during idle) and *****(thanks me for pumping gas) about anything. Built like a proverbial tank too. Is the inline-6 the greatest at this or wut?! Sorry guys but still geeking from my honeymoon phase. First 2 months of ownership and it's not getting old fast, AT ALL. what gives?!
That's for another thread, but the SC is a great, (still) beautiful, bulletproof car. I hope Lexus brings it back in proper form. (Maybe LF-LC?)

Quick Reply: Back to Lexus from BMW...Any regrets?