GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Back to Lexus from BMW...Any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-14, 08:17 AM
XBimR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
. The engine though is a huge deficit for the GS. Really doesn't do the rest of the car justice.
I did miss the low end torque of the inline 6, even without the turbos of the 3.5l the bmw has great "now" acceleration. It's different with the GS, like most Japanese cars you have to get further up in the powerband.

But really it does do 0-60 in 5.5 and is plenty fast. For my 40 something lifestyle it does just fine.

Last edited by XBimR; 08-15-14 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-15-14, 09:50 AM
HDEddie1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XBimR
I did miss the low end torque of the inline 6, even without the turbos of the 3.5l the bmw has great "now" acceleration. It's different with the GS, like most Japanese cars you have to get further up in the powerband.

But really it does do 0-60 in 5.5 and is plenty fast. For my 40 something lifestyle it does just fine.
Hmmm...without "now" acceleration might bother me. There are times (negotiating stop and go traffic) where I appreciate quicker engine response. Does keeping the GS in Sport+ mode help? I would assume that would keep the engine higher in the rev band for each gear. Or do you have to floor it near red line to get to move briskly?

I didn't drive the dealer's test car hard (but I'll be back for another drive).
Where's the 'sweet spot' on the Lexus V6? On BMWs (with twin turbo's), aside from the very slight turbo lag, the torque is just about full on by 2000RPM. Pretty much "now" in stop go driving even with the 8 speed auto.

Thanks.
Old 08-15-14, 10:06 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HDEddie1
Hmmm...without "now" acceleration might bother me. There are times (negotiating stop and go traffic) where I appreciate quicker engine response. Does keeping the GS in Sport+ mode help? I would assume that would keep the engine higher in the rev band for each gear. Or do you have to floor it near red line to get to move briskly?

Where's the 'sweet spot' on the Lexus V6? On BMWs (with twin turbo's), aside from the very slight turbo lag, the torque is just about full on by 2000RPM. Pretty much "now" in stop go driving even with the 8 speed auto.

Thanks.
Sport and Sport+ mode change the mapping so you have better response in the mid range, so yes, it will most certainly help. The difference between the GS and a 550 is when you want moderate acceleration from a cruising speed the GS will need to downshift several gears where the 550 with all it's torque can do the same without the downshifts.
Old 08-15-14, 10:06 AM
bocahoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where's the 'sweet spot' on the Lexus V6?
North of 4500 RPMs. Below that it's relatively weak. If you need "right now" power, you can switch to manual mode.
Old 08-15-14, 11:32 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

With the Lexus, I'm not helping my Indy BMW Mechanic pay for his kid's college tuition.

/truth
Old 08-15-14, 11:59 AM
HDEddie1
Driver

Originally Posted by islandbeef
With the Lexus, I'm not helping my Indy BMW Mechanic pay for his kid's college tuition.

/truth
Fortunately, all five of my previous BMWs were sold/traded not too long after the warranty was up so I never got hosed. But I'm thinking long term now (beyond 4 yrs/50K) so I need to trust a car's for its reliability.
That the Lexus 4G "has the agility and nimbleness" of the previous generation BMW (E 60 5 series, my ideal sport sedan) is all the better for me. I don't have any strong negative feelings about my 550i. It's still relatively new and I know I'll miss the power (i.e. anyone who's punched it in sport+ mode knows what I mean) but will gladly trade it for long term reliability. I don't even want to think about service on the 550i engine or trans once the warranty/free maintenance is up
THANKS
Old 08-15-14, 12:06 PM
HDEddie1
Driver

Default Performance Software?

Originally Posted by bocahoo
North of 4500 RPMs. Below that it's relatively weak. If you need "right now" power, you can switch to manual mode.
Too bad no one has developed a software mod for it. BMW cars have several aftermarket tuners that have dyne proven results for numerous BMW turbo and NA engines. But, of course, it voids the warranty (except Dinan).
Still, I wonder why nobody offers performance software for the Lexus.
Old 08-15-14, 12:22 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Too bad no one has developed a software mod for it. BMW cars have several aftermarket tuners that have dyne proven results for numerous BMW turbo and NA engines. But, of course, it voids the warranty (except Dinan).
Toyota/Lexus encrypts the crap out of their engine management software. They don't want anyone tinkering with it. By comparison, the BMW system is relatively open for tweaking. The last thing Toyota needs is more lawsuits from old people mashing the throttle into brick walls again.
Old 08-15-14, 12:40 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding is that the ECU is encoded and no one can crack it? Or something to that effect.
Old 08-15-14, 02:37 PM
XBimR
Driver

Thanks.
Sport, sport + do change the feel. Don't get me wrong, the GS is a fast and responsive car, just different from inline 6. Torque comes higher in the powerband, so the driving style is different. Just noting a difference between bmw and Lexus.

I like the GS F because it is a great comfortable cruiser that can become a wolf and does respond when pushed. No RFT, great reliability, better materials.

My dealer let me push the test car. I went back three times to make sure I liked it. 535 w sport was a pig in comparison. 335 I liked, but it was time in my life for a bigger car. And 335i was the same cost as GS.
Old 08-15-14, 02:53 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I keep mine in manual mode when in stop n go traffic, that gives me more instant power when I need to jackrabbit start.
Old 08-15-14, 03:06 PM
HDEddie1
Driver

Default No run flats = Happy

Originally Posted by XBimR
Sport, sport + do change the feel. Don't get me wrong, the GS is a fast and responsive car, just different from inline 6. Torque comes higher in the powerband, so the driving style is different. Just noting a difference between bmw and Lexus.

I like the GS F because it is a great comfortable cruiser that can become a wolf and does respond when pushed. No RFT, great reliability, better materials.

My dealer let me push the test car. I went back three times to make sure I liked it. 535 w sport was a pig in comparison. 335 I liked, but it was time in my life for a bigger car. And 335i was the same cost as GS.
Good to hear...I am familiar with the 535i as well (son-in-law's) and it handles more nimbly than my 550i. So, I know I'm going to like the GS.
BTW...No run Flats? GREAT! Although I have Michelins on my current M Sport (the better brand of the run flats BMW offers) I still long for conventional performance tires. I just recently punctured my run flat. It allowed me to hobble home, be told it was not repairable, be also told "we don't stock your size", wait 3 days for a new tire, and then hand over $475 to replace
Old 08-15-14, 03:08 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Over a long period of ownership, nimble and balanced trumps sloppy and torquey. The torque is entertaining, but that effect wears off after you realize you can't have much fun with it.
Old 08-15-14, 06:01 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

When I got my 550 I looked into a Dinan Tune. It actually does void the BMW warranty technically. Dinan's own warranty takes over. I have heard stories of people with a problem and they both pointed the finger at each other.

Performance software on a normally aspirated engine that is already tuned to run on premium fuel just don't offer much of an improvement. Any gains would be extremely incremental. The biggest improvements would be in the shifting algorithms.
Old 08-15-14, 07:49 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Over a long period of ownership, nimble and balanced trumps sloppy and torquey. The torque is entertaining, but that effect wears off after you realize you can't have much fun with it.
Best input yet!

Last edited by dseag2; 08-15-14 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Back to Lexus from BMW...Any regrets?