Which Lexus should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-14, 09:51 AM
darth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Lexus should I buy?

Hi folks

We have a 2002 Lexus ES that we are thinking of replacing. Our second car is a 2012 Acura MDX. Right now I am struggling to decide between the 2014 GS and the 2014 RX.

Car will be primarily driven by wife, who prefers to be coddled with creature comforts and plush ride quality. She is not an aggressive driver and will drive mostly on city roads and freeways with some curvy roads in our neck of the woods. I will occasionally drive the car, and I want a good mix of comfort and driving excitement without feeling every dip in the road. So I am not looking for an ultra sporty vehicle like the BMW 5 series as an example. . Needless to say since we are looking at the Lexus, reliability is very high on our list.

Which one of these models will better suit our requirements? Also what options would you recommend based on the above criteria? (like AWD, Sport etc). We live in the South and will occasionally drive in winter conditions or travel north for vacations

Thanks in advance for your advice

Last edited by darth; 08-10-14 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-10-14, 10:28 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any reason why you're not considering the new ES?

As for the RX, I don't see any reason to have two SUVs.
Old 08-10-14, 10:31 AM
darth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
Any reason why you're not considering the new ES?
As for the RX, I don't see any reason to have two SUVs.

I heard that the ride quality has been stiffened up quite a bit and it's not as plush to ride anymore. Also was looking for a change from the ES
Old 08-10-14, 10:50 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Originally Posted by darth
I heard that the ride quality has been stiffened up quite a bit and it's not as plush to ride anymore. Also was looking for a change from the ES
I'd still suggest you drive both the ES and the GS, but it sounds like a GS350 with Lux package would be for you.
Old 08-10-14, 11:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by darth
So I am not looking for an ultra sporty vehicle like the BMW 5 series as an example. .
The BMW 5 Series is a direct competitor to the Lexus GS. In fact, the current iteration of the 5 Series is in general accepted to be plusher and less sporty than the current GS, so if you think a 5 Series would be too sporty...a Lexus GS certainly would be as well. The whole reason the GS exists is to compete with the 5 Series.

I came from having owned two ES's, including an 03 which is identical to your 02. I love my 4GS, it rides great and is much more solid and refined than the ES. BUT, its more stiffly sprung too. You notice it around town, driveway aprons, speed bumps, etc. At speed it rides better and more solidly than the ES because of its more expensive more sophisticated suspension setup, but at low speeds you feel that stiffness. Its not harsh or an issue IMHO, but its there. I would never go back to an ES after having had a GS FYI.

So I would recommend that you and your wife extensively test drive a GS to be sure its the car for you. I would look at a luxury package with the AVS suspension.

The RX as a vehicle completely underwhelms me.
Old 08-10-14, 11:41 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The BMW 5 Series is a direct competitor to the Lexus GS. In fact, the current iteration of the 5 Series is in general accepted to be plusher and less sporty than the current GS, so if you think a 5 Series would be too sporty...a Lexus GS certainly would be as well. The whole reason the GS exists is to compete with the 5 Series.

I came from having owned two ES's, including an 03 which is identical to your 02. I love my 4GS, it rides great and is much more solid and refined than the ES. BUT, its more stiffly sprung too. You notice it around town, driveway aprons, speed bumps, etc. At speed it rides better and more solidly than the ES because of its more expensive more sophisticated suspension setup, but at low speeds you feel that stiffness. Its not harsh or an issue IMHO, but its there. I would never go back to an ES after having had a GS FYI.

So I would recommend that you and your wife extensively test drive a GS to be sure its the car for you. I would look at a luxury package with the AVS suspension.

I have both a 550 BMW and a GS with Luxury. The GS rides better. Part of the problem with the BMWs is there run-flat tires.
Old 08-10-14, 11:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I have both a 550 BMW and a GS with Luxury. The GS rides better. Part of the problem with the BMWs is there run-flat tires.
But your BMW is an M Sport and your GS is a Luxury with AVS. 19s on your BMW, 18s on the GS. Compare your M Sport to an F Sport GS, I bet you the ride is more similar.

I think when equipped similarly they ride very similarly, with the GS feeling tighter and sharper, feeling smaller.
Old 08-10-14, 12:43 PM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I definitely recommend you test drive the ES350 or ES300h. If you want a smooth plush ride, even though the current ES may ride more firm than previous generations I think it will still ride smoother and plushier than the GS which really aims to be a sports sedan. You may also want to consider a CPO 2012 ES which has a very cushy ride (I also have a 2011 ES, so I know how smooth it can be) or you may even want to look at a CPO LS which has a really nice ride.

Here is an example of a CPO 2013 LS460 with 36k miles (being sold in Texas) that would be about the same price as a well equipped new GS350. Definitely would have that plush ride quality you want - probably the best in the Lexus lineup.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...77890332&Log=0

Last edited by RyanC; 08-10-14 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-10-14, 12:46 PM
Sosodef79
Pole Position

Why would you need 2 SUVs? And why not give the wife the MDX and get what you want?
Old 08-10-14, 12:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RyanC
even though the current ES may ride more firm than previous generations I think it will still ride smoother than the GS which really aims to be more of a sports sedan. You may also want to consider a CPO 2012 ES which has a very cushy ride (I also have a 2011 ES, so I know how smooth it can be)
Yes and no. I agonized over this and I drove the 2013 ES and the 2013 GS I ultimately bought along with my 2010 ES back to back to back because I was concerned I would ultimately be unhappy with the GS' ride since I'm not a sporty car person.

The GS actually rides better than the ES (both the new one and my 2010) in most circumstances. The ES has the edge in low speed maneuvers, speed bumps, driveway aprons, etc. The GS is more solid and vaultlike at speed, both 30+MPH speeds and highway speeds. The GS feels more like the LS in those situations, vs the ES which rides soft and floaty like say Buick or a Lincoln. I continue to be very happy with my GS from having owned two ES's and I prefer a ride biased car.
Old 08-10-14, 02:29 PM
darth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sosodef79
Why would you need 2 SUVs? And why not give the wife the MDX and get what you want?
Because she does not like the MDX much :-) When we bought it we really wanted to stay in the Lexus family and seriously looked at the RX and GX but wanted optional seven seating, so dropped the RX even though wife really liked the ride quality, and the GX did not impress us with its ride quality and wobbliness at high speeds.
Old 08-10-14, 02:34 PM
darth
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I was under the impression that the GS had a much more forgiving ride than the BMW 5 series even though they compete with each other. Having owned the ES for so long, I was hoping to make a change to another model in the Lexus family.

Thanks for the advice and comparison with the ES. I will take your advice and test drive the GS in a variety of situations.

BTW, do you have the RWD or AWD version? Do you think it makes a difference on wet roads or is the difference minimal?
Old 08-10-14, 02:43 PM
darth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RyanC
I definitely recommend you test drive the ES350 or ES300h. If you want a smooth plush ride, even though the current ES may ride more firm than previous generations I think it will still ride smoother and plushier than the GS which really aims to be a sports sedan. You may also want to consider a CPO 2012 ES which has a very cushy ride (I also have a 2011 ES, so I know how smooth it can be) or you may even want to look at a CPO LS which has a really nice ride.

Here is an example of a CPO 2013 LS460 with 36k miles (being sold in Texas) that would be about the same price as a well equipped new GS350. Definitely would have that plush ride quality you want - probably the best in the Lexus lineup.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...77890332&Log=0
Yeah. I am toying with a CPO LS as well.
Old 08-10-14, 02:45 PM
darth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I'd still suggest you drive both the ES and the GS, but it sounds like a GS350 with Lux package would be for you.
Thanks. Does the AWD have a big advantage over RWD on wet city roads?
Old 08-10-14, 04:23 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

But your BMW is an M Sport and your GS is a Luxury with AVS. 19s on your BMW, 18s on the GS. Compare your M Sport to an F Sport GS, I bet you the ride is more similar.

I think when equipped similarly they ride very similarly, with the GS feeling tighter and sharper, feeling smaller.
My M Sport has dynamic dampers. In "normal" mode it rides better than both base and sport suspension BMWs I have had as loaners. Our Lexus suspension is better than any 5 series I have driven. It rides better and has excellent control. I don't know which cars are better at a spirited pace on a winding road as I just don't have any roads like that near me. But the GS actually feels better even in handling in normal commute situations.

Quick Reply: Which Lexus should I buy?