GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Problems transferring phonebook contacts from a Sprint Galaxy S3 to my 2013 GS 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 01:39 PM
aletorres
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Problems transferring phonebook contacts from a Sprint Galaxy S3 to my 2013 GS 350

Hello, I am a new Lexus owner and I am having a lot of trouble transfering my contacts to my car using Bluetooth. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Sprint (Kit Kat 4.4.2) and the car is a 2013 Lexus GS350. When I first noticed that the car was not uploading my contacts I tried pairing and un-pairing the phone several times to no avail.

I tried all the procedures specified in the owner's manual of the car but none of them worked. I did verified that the contact list in the car shows empty.

Later I took my car to the Lexus dealer I am planning to use to service the car and the technology adviser there tried to help me. He could not make it work either. He even paired and Iphone 5 and another S3 (from AT&T) and was able to transfer the contacts from those phones to the car.

He noticed that in my case the car starts transferring the contacts but at one point it just stops and says "Transfer failed." He said it was the first time he had seen that happened; that normally some contacts transfer and some don't, but that NONE transferring was very unusual.

He suggested I combed through my contacts and "cleaned" the entries so no special characters or symbols interfered with the transfer. I already did that. I also explained to him that I use only my Google account to maintain the contact list (no Exchanges or Outlook).

I also tried to use the "Bluetooth transfer file" app but did not have any luck, even connecting the phone to the car was a challenge when I was using this app. I do have a profile picture for most of my contacts, I have several accounts linked to my contact list (Facebook, Whatsapp, Viber, Skype, etc).

I also have some addresses for some of the contacts and I made sure that these addresses were correct and had no input problems. I did noticed that the navigation software in my car is pretty old, 2011, and considered that could be a factor, but then again the car DID connect to those other phones and transferred the contact list.

My phone otherwise connects well with the car, messaging, music, Lexus Enform suite, phone calls. Has someone here had the same problem?. Could it be that I have those pictures and the navigation system does not support that? Is it a matter of updating the software of the car to see if it works? Should I unlink all my contacts from other apps like Facebook, etc. and see if that helps? I would really appreciate any help you could give me so I can enjoy my new car to the fullest.

Thanks