GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Terrible gas mileage on GS350 AWD F-Sport

Old 03-05-15, 06:59 PM
2014GS350F
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my car a month and I'm disappointed with the mpg as well. I'm only getting 17.5 which is mostly city driving. I made this same post a few weeks ago. My accessment is that Lexus used the RWD GS as their basis, not the AWD and don't advise consumers the AWD model gets considerably less mpg. While I'm disappointed with the mpg I'm far from disappointed with the car. I'll deal with the poor mpg to enjoy everything else about this car.
Old 03-05-15, 08:01 PM
jhyphen
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL my mpg is a cool 11.5 right now. I'm happy when I make it to 23. I am also a very aggressive driver. Must be due to growing up in Boston. Been trying to increase it by gingerly pressing the throttle but all it takes is getting stuck behind one Prius and that ends that. WOT!
Old 03-06-15, 09:40 AM
edittman1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20.5 here..
Old 03-07-15, 05:51 PM
ALexusSJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put 5k miles on mine and only getting 18mpg at best with my 20" wheels. Either Lexus lied to us or they achieved the claimed 29highway mpg by going downhill, with a tailwind, and with the engine off.
Old 03-10-15, 02:54 PM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got gas this morning and reset the average mph (it was at 31mph, so under the 34 I thought it was).

After driving around for a bit -- about 60 miles, I averaged 39mph (mostly "highway" type driving) and 20.3mpg.
Old 03-10-15, 03:32 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ALexusSJ
I just put 5k miles on mine and only getting 18mpg at best with my 20" wheels. Either Lexus lied to us or they achieved the claimed 29highway mpg by going downhill, with a tailwind, and with the engine off.
main reason why i traded it for an ES h. I too was getting 18 mpg and as my daily commuter, with 91 octane being at 3.80 / gal, i was spending over $300 a month on fuel. Now im getting a stable 38 mpg and its takes 87 octane, im spending only $130 a month on fuel. The GS is a far superior car but for a daily commuter, its not that good.
Old 03-10-15, 06:33 PM
2014GS350F
Driver

I've had my car a month and was disappointed with getting only 17.5 mpg with mostly city driving in normal mode and decided to switch to eco mode a couple days ago. It's a little early to tell but it appears I might get as much as 19 mpg in eco with similar driving style. I can't say I'm disappointed with the way the cars drives in eco mode either. I still have the power if I need it, just have to push the pedal a little harder.
Old 03-10-15, 07:18 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

It is all a matter of driving style. I have never had under 25MPG in town, 27MPG on the highway, but my wife says I drive like the old man that I am. I say that I drive conservatively.
Old 03-11-15, 04:10 PM
RyanC
Driver

Originally Posted by ECL
It is all a matter of driving style. I have never had under 25MPG in town, 27MPG on the highway, but my wife says I drive like the old man that I am. I say that I drive conservatively.
Yours is RWD, not AWD right? I agree driving style has something to do with it, so does elevation changes where you're driving (you'll get worse mileage on hilly roads than on flat roads) - but the AWD model gets worse mileage than the RWD too.
Old 03-12-15, 11:29 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Driving style makes a slight difference I would agree, but also current traffic and road conditions also dictate your driving style nowadays, at least where I live.. Mostly stop and go freeway traffic, with some city driving full of intersections to impede flow and economy. I actually found there is too much traffic on my daily commute for me to really alter my mileage based on technique from experience and testing.

I have tried one tank going ECO mode light footing and coasting as much as possible to average a 26 mph and get about 20.3 mpg.

Also tested another tank using Sport mode and driving as aggressive as traffic would allow, stamping the pedal to pass everyone I could and hitting up to 70+mph even on the city streets whenever feasible! I was only able to raise my speed average to 28mph and mileage only dropped to 20.1 mpg. (also noticed you have to turn "Sport" on everytime you get into the car, while ECO stays on oddly for an "F Sport - Sports Sedan"!)

After this testing and seeing the minimal results in economy I figured I'll just drive this thing the way I like, that is why I bought a car that performs nicely in the first place!

I am thinking you must be a full stop stuck in even worse traffic than I am most of the time if you're getting 17 mpg in this car..
Old 03-14-15, 07:25 AM
RyanC
Driver

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
Driving style makes a slight difference I would agree, but also current traffic and road conditions also dictate your driving style nowadays, at least where I live.. Mostly stop and go freeway traffic, with some city driving full of intersections to impede flow and economy. I actually found there is too much traffic on my daily commute for me to really alter my mileage based on technique from experience and testing.

I have tried one tank going ECO mode light footing and coasting as much as possible to average a 26 mph and get about 20.3 mpg.

Also tested another tank using Sport mode and driving as aggressive as traffic would allow, stamping the pedal to pass everyone I could and hitting up to 70+mph even on the city streets whenever feasible! I was only able to raise my speed average to 28mph and mileage only dropped to 20.1 mpg. (also noticed you have to turn "Sport" on everytime you get into the car, while ECO stays on oddly for an "F Sport - Sports Sedan"!)

After this testing and seeing the minimal results in economy I figured I'll just drive this thing the way I like, that is why I bought a car that performs nicely in the first place!

I am thinking you must be a full stop stuck in even worse traffic than I am most of the time if you're getting 17 mpg in this car..
You have RWD or AWD? My last fill up with a day's worth of mostly highway driving (avg speed of 39mph) and my mpg was at 20.3, which isn't bad for the AWD model.
Old 03-16-15, 10:01 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RyanC
You have RWD or AWD? My last fill up with a day's worth of mostly highway driving (avg speed of 39mph) and my mpg was at 20.3, which isn't bad for the AWD model.
I do have the RWD, glad to hear your mileage is sounding more appealing!

From my experience this car likes moving fast, mileage drops a lot with many stops and slower speeds.. of course this is true for most cars. It seems to be able to crank out 30mpg+ while cruising at steady highway speeds!

The more I own the car though the harder I am driving it and my average mileage is dropping a bit, but I'm not complaining!

Cant wait to take a long road trip though and see how it does..
Old 03-16-15, 10:44 AM
Mcb345
Driver School Candidate

I do have the RWD, glad to hear your mileage is sounding more appealing!

From my experience this car likes moving fast, mileage drops a lot with many stops and slower speeds.. of course this is true for most cars. It seems to be able to crank out 30mpg+ while cruising at steady highway speeds!

The more I own the car though the harder I am driving it and my average mileage is dropping a bit, but I'm not complaining!

Cant wait to take a long road trip though and see how it does..
I have an AWD F-Sport and drove the car 300 miles from OH to Chicago the very first day of owning and while averaging 75mph while cruising I was only able to achieve 20.5mpg on that trip so that was a little bit of a disappointment to say the least considering my last car, the Acura TL, would have easily gotten 29mpg.

So far with my daily commute I average about 17mpg and if driving downtown city streets only I'm around 14mpg. I have almost 900 miles on the car and hope it still needs to be broken in a little more but at this point I'll be happy if I can average 18 for my commute.

I also noticed that with my slow stop and go bumber to bumber traffic, eco mode might save me .5mpg but in the end it's just not worth losing the fun characteristics of the car to save $1-2 per week.
Old 03-17-15, 09:15 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mcb345
I have an AWD F-Sport and drove the car 300 miles from OH to Chicago the very first day of owning and while averaging 75mph while cruising I was only able to achieve 20.5mpg on that trip so that was a little bit of a disappointment to say the least considering my last car, the Acura TL, would have easily gotten 29mpg.

So far with my daily commute I average about 17mpg and if driving downtown city streets only I'm around 14mpg. I have almost 900 miles on the car and hope it still needs to be broken in a little more but at this point I'll be happy if I can average 18 for my commute.

I also noticed that with my slow stop and go bumber to bumber traffic, eco mode might save me .5mpg but in the end it's just not worth losing the fun characteristics of the car to save $1-2 per week.
20.5 mpg at highway speeds is a bit disheartening, thats what I get in the city.. I know the AWD has the 6 speed vs the 8 speed tranny, more weight, and more drivetrain parts to push down the road which all likley contribute to less mpg, but I hope you will see some improvements as the engine "breaks in"..

ECO mode doesnt seem to work very good since I just squeeze the pedal harder!
Old 03-23-15, 07:26 AM
Mcb345
Driver School Candidate

20.5 mpg at highway speeds is a bit disheartening, thats what I get in the city.. I know the AWD has the 6 speed vs the 8 speed tranny, more weight, and more drivetrain parts to push down the road which all likley contribute to less mpg, but I hope you will see some improvements as the engine "breaks in"..

ECO mode doesnt seem to work very good since I just squeeze the pedal harder!
My previous cars were always able to match the EPA numbers on long highway stretches / road trips so time will tell if I can hit the claimed 26mpg highway figure. I have a feeling it might be tough and at this point would be happy with 24-25 after the break-in period.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Terrible gas mileage on GS350 AWD F-Sport