GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Turning on Text Message

Old 08-04-14, 07:21 PM
tpjc1018
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turning on Text Message

Hi Guys-

I can't figure out how to get the Bluetooth to read my text messages. I have the setting on my iPhone 5s set to "Show Notifications" in the iPhone Bluetooth Settings. The phone pairs with the car with no issues. I know I am missing something, please help! Thanks
Old 08-04-14, 07:27 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There is also a "Settings" menu in the car that prompts you to turn on notifications. Sorry, I can't remember which one it is but if you go through them you will find it. I checked all of mine the other day and they are set to "Yes" but I still don't receive emails through my iPhone 5. Maybe I need to now check my phone to see if it is set the right way.
Old 08-04-14, 08:11 PM
tpjc1018
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found it, under the "VOICE" menu, not Bluetooth.
Old 08-05-14, 05:46 AM
GBFSport
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Text messages work fine in the GS, you will need to use the Siri eyes only feature to read out your emails. Only if you want to of course.
Old 08-05-14, 01:21 PM
JAM
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The Lexus will also read email too like texts. Just decide which email account you want and then click Notification off and then on which is under Setting, then click the email account for notification off then on. Works. It is a bit of Vodoo till Apple gets their act together like the Samsung.
Old 08-05-14, 01:25 PM
GBFSport
Rookie

Why would you turn notification off when you need it on for text messages?
Old 08-05-14, 01:40 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldnt get emails to work.
Old 08-05-14, 01:41 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GBFSport
Why would you turn notification off when you need it on for text messages?
I want to know too
Old 08-06-14, 07:50 AM
1nOnlyGSF
Rookie

Originally Posted by tpjc1018
Found it, under the "VOICE" menu, not Bluetooth.
I try to go under voice options but i do not see an option for notification, can you please explain more how to get there and what it should look like or maybe take a picture of it. Thanks
Old 08-06-14, 12:05 PM
GBFSport
Rookie

First you need to go to I phone settings, choose Bluetooth, you will see "Devices" and next to the Device name which typically is Car Multimedia, you will see the letter i in a circle. Tap that and a bunch of options appears including "show notifications". Make sure that the green slide button is on and you will be set from the iPhone point of view.

From your car press the telephone off hook button and the screen will show the various options, in the top right hand corner you should see "Messages" box, click that and it gives you the option for setting of incoming text messages, not email just text messages.

To have your emails read to you is not quite ad good as you have to use Siri eyes only.
Old 08-06-14, 03:35 PM
1nOnlyGSF
Rookie

First you need to go to I phone settings, choose Bluetooth, you will see "Devices" and next to the Device name which typically is Car Multimedia, you will see the letter i in a circle. Tap that and a bunch of options appears including "show notifications". Make sure that the green slide button is on and you will be set from the iPhone point of view.

From your car press the telephone off hook button and the screen will show the various options, in the top right hand corner you should see "Messages" box, click that and it gives you the option for setting of incoming text messages, not email just text messages.

To have your emails read to you is not quite ad good as you have to use Siri eyes only.
Thank you, notification in the phone were off that was my problem.
Old 12-16-16, 11:26 AM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never been able to get my car to recognize text messages - Iphone 6 iOS 10.x.

On the Bluetooth section of the Settings that you refer to, I see the Car Multimedia, and when I tap the "i" circle, the first two items are ON (green), and the last 3 are all checked.

As to the Telephone screen you get when off-hook, I see shaded "messages" in the upper left, which goes solid when the Bluetooth connects. I click on the "messages" but there are no messages in the list. Note that I do have messages on my iPhone, which were received outside of the car...shouldn't they be showing up in that list???

I've received text messages while in the car, and heard the notification from the phone, but the car didn't seem to recognize the arrival of the message.

FYI my phone works great with the Bluetooth system, no problems. Also, the music player works fine on wireless. Anybody have any ideas???
Old 12-16-16, 11:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by hziemba
I've never been able to get my car to recognize text messages - Iphone 6 iOS 10.x.

On the Bluetooth section of the Settings that you refer to, I see the Car Multimedia, and when I tap the "i" circle, the first two items are ON (green), and the last 3 are all checked.
Your settings seem correct - same as mine, anyway, and mine works.

As to the Telephone screen you get when off-hook, I see shaded "messages" in the upper left, which goes solid when the Bluetooth connects. I click on the "messages" but there are no messages in the list. Note that I do have messages on my iPhone, which were received outside of the car...shouldn't they be showing up in that list???
No, they won't show up in the list. Only new messages received through the car will show up there.

I've received text messages while in the car, and heard the notification from the phone, but the car didn't seem to recognize the arrival of the message.

FYI my phone works great with the Bluetooth system, no problems. Also, the music player works fine on wireless. Anybody have any ideas???
Not sure why it isn't working for you. I can't think of any other settings for you to change.
Old 12-16-16, 06:52 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I never got the notifications to work either and my wife being around most of the times I'm not too bothered abt it either .
Old 12-16-16, 06:59 PM
bjnzzzle
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I was wondering if it can display the text message on the screen?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turning on Text Message