GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Trading 2008 GS350 for 2014 GS F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-14, 08:52 AM
Dar23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading 2008 GS350 for 2014 GS F Sport

Thinking about trading my 2008 GS350 RWD for a 2014 GS F Sport.

I've been very happy with my GS350 (bought it new in late 2007), it actually has relatively low mileage (55K) due to a very short commute for a few years. The interior and styling is still something I'm happy with, but I feel the body is a little more understated compared to the new GS styling, especially with the F Sport package.

Realizing body style is very subjective, the only other issue I have is that the Gen 3 GS isn't quite sporty enough. Suppose you could call it a sporty luxury sedan, whereas the Gen 4 GS F Sport seems more like a luxury sport sedan.

Weighing the options on this, of course there are more refined bells and whistles in the Gen 4, but wondering if anyone else has traded a Gen 3 GS350 for a Gen 4 GS F, and if you have any feedback on your overall experience.
Old 07-30-14, 10:04 AM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Nearly identical to the same situation you're in for me last year. Bought my GS350 AWD new in 2008, obsidian black with black leather and traded it in at 50K for a 2013 F-Sport Starfire Pearl with Cabernet this past November. Paid $54K for it in November of 2008. Dealer took my car for $25.4K. I feel the same way as you with the 3rd generation. The sedan itself wasn't very sport like, as much as I tried to make it feel that way. It was more like a boat, in which it floated as you drove it and still felt that way with my BC coilovers and F-Sport sways, and all my camber and traction arms. My 2013 feels much more planted to the ground. I also have RWD with wider tires so that helps. The 4th generation is more advanced in every way over the the outgoing model. Giant navigation screen, F-Sport suspension although I have BC coilovers now, beefier steering wheel which I love, big 14" rotors and the perforated leather and part leather dash is much better quality. I do like the brushed finished gauges in my 2008 more than this model, but the LED display in the center of the current model makes up for that. Granted, they share the same engine, but still feels like a completely different car. All the suspension parts are now aluminum, as opposed to some mix of steel and iron in the past models. This makes a world of different as the car is much more rigid. I loved my 2008 as much as I do my 2013. My 2013 also gets worse gas mileage and I always drive in ECO mode and rarely ever get on it. Don't know why, as it is supposed to be more efficient, but my mileage has dropped by a few miles per gallon with this car over my 2008.

I would have kept my 3rd generation only because it was paid off, but seeing the fixed ones on CL made me trade up. Only gripe I have about this new model is that my 3rd generation came with power folding mirrors and I lack that that in my current car and it doesn't come with fog lights, but I added that option in my 4th gen. I don't think you will be disappointed trading up to the new model. I wouldn't necessarily call it an upgrade as my 3rd generation was solid and was mechanically and electronically sound in every way. Not a single problem. I paid more for my 3rd generation new than I did for my 4th generation ($3k difference and bought both around the same time in their respective years).

For me personally and it's not the cars fault, but my 2008 was AWD and I preferred RWD, as a majority of Lexus models are AWD if given the option in Kansas City. I like RWD and had to get the dealer to find one for me in the south.

Any other questions, PM me, as I am not on the forums all too much to browse.

Also, members are wondering what happened to my Avant Garde wheels. Well the initial tires I ordered were too big, so I returned them for a smaller size, only they are out of stock. I have them on order and am waiting for them to arrive. Also waiting for my R40 Iconix to arrive. These are on back order as well. Once they do, I will mount and show pictures. Also will be taking the car to Texas this weekend for a fender pull. Should be about 2-3 weeks and I will take pictures.

Went from this:

To this:
Old 07-30-14, 07:55 PM
DUFF Ace
Rookie

That's hilarious. I did the exact same trade up. Although mine was a loaded 07 to a 13 fsport. Black to white.

Love the new ride!
Old 07-31-14, 10:51 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

I upgraded too, and 08 3GS AWD to a 13 4GS RWD and haven't looked back. I love my new car. One thing I disliked about my 3GS is that it was AWD. Lowering it gave me more problems than I wish to have with a car these days, especially a luxury sedan. Although I didn't get a 4GS F Sport, I am really happy with my car. I love the style, comfort and sportiness. The first thing I do when I start my car is put it into Sport mode.
Old 07-31-14, 03:11 PM
LexFather

I had both, recently sold the GS 450h 2007....if you search my posts you will see the F-sport is superior in every way except maybe styling and a couple other touches. Its really a big difference.

Good luck
Old 08-02-14, 08:57 PM
dwayne4lex
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I purchased a 2008 GS350 in March 2012 upgrading from my 07 IS350. I was initially disappointed in the overall performance of the 08 GS, but the luxury and space helped compensate. Needless to say I got board with the 3rd gen and leased a 4th gen this past February. The performance of the 4th gen GS350 reminds me of my 07 IS350. The handling and performance blows the 3rd gen GS350 completely away. Not to mention the electronics in this car is far exceeds the 3rd gen. Definitely get it and be sure to include the power folding mirrors and power truck. These are must haves in any car or me going forward.
Old 08-03-14, 06:49 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is power trunk? Is what you call opening with remote?
Old 08-03-14, 09:28 AM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With the 2014 GS350's they are available with a power opening and closing trunk.

It is similar to the power lift gate on SUVs. If you press and hold the trunk open button on the remote, the trunk opens all the way, and then inside the trunk there is a button you press and it closes on its own.

Not really necessary, makes more sense imho with the power lift gate on SUVs - I drove a GS350 F-Sport with it, but my car doesn't have it. It is a cool feature though.
Old 08-03-14, 09:37 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Wow. I have to check it out
Old 08-03-14, 09:46 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

I have 2014 fsport and it does not have power trunk. I hold the trunk butn on the remote and it just opens the trunk and there is no close buttn inside the trunk anywhere.
Is that optional? Or maybe there is a setting? Still no button inside
Old 08-03-14, 10:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Its an option...yours likely doesnt have it.
Old 08-03-14, 10:01 PM
Dar23
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all. Headed to the dealer tomorrow for a test drive. Will be hard-pressed to walk away if they can come down a couple more grand.

White/black interior is the goal. Silver currently.
Old 08-03-14, 10:07 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I got my 2014 F Sport yesterday for $53,500. Got rid of my 14 Premium for this and I love it to death! Worth every $$$.
Old 08-03-14, 11:09 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I got my 2014 F Sport yesterday for $53,500. Got rid of my 14 Premium for this and I love it to death! Worth every $$$.
Welcome to the club! I bet you'll love it, and that's a really sweet deal. Did you have some trade money going towards it or any current incentives?
Old 08-03-14, 11:27 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Yea I did have some negative equity from the old car added to this one, so my payment is higher than normal, but still zero at signing. The deals now are quite aggressive, probably the same as last March's Command Performance deal.

I could've gotten a better deal if I had gotten the F Sport in the first place. Couldn't take the other car any longer after I test drove the F Sport. lol Lesson learned - Get what u really want in the first place!

I went back to my original dealer and they were nice enough to help me out by adding more to my trade in and reducing the new car cost. I went to 4 other dealers and they're just money hungry. lol

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 08-03-14 at 11:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Trading 2008 GS350 for 2014 GS F Sport