Steering feels loose after hitting pothole

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 03:06 PM
ha02148
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering feels loose after hitting pothole

Hi All,

The steering on my 2013 GS350 AWD feels loose and light after hitting a pothole recently on the front right tire. It does not matter low or high speed and more so on turns. I took it back to the dealer and they found both front wheels are a little bent and tires worn.

Over the weekend, I replaced all the tires and did the alignment. However, it did not fix the steering issue. I asked my mechanic friend to check. He said my alignment is still a bit off.

Attached is the alignment printout. He said there's nothing the dealer can do since it is within the range and no code regarding the steering.

He suggested just get use to it as the car is fine.

I like driving my car before, but it does not feels right and safe anymore.

Any recommendation?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Steering feels loose after hitting pothole-img_4080.jpg  
Old 02-13-18, 05:01 PM
jordanhigg
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you replace the wheels that were bent?

Steering is electric so I do not think its that
Old 02-13-18, 05:03 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

This is going to sound dumb, but where'd they set the tire pressure? If the tires are way over or way under, it can mess with the handling of the car...

I'd also just have someone else drive it and see what they think. Sometimes "placebo effect" can get into your brain... not saying that is the case here but its worth checking against....

-Mike

Last edited by drgrant; 02-13-18 at 05:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Knucklebus (02-14-18)
Old 02-13-18, 05:20 PM
ha02148
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jordanhigg
Did you replace the wheels that were bent?

Steering is electric so I do not think its that
No, I'm thinking of swapping the wheels from the back to see if it helps.
Old 02-13-18, 05:26 PM
ha02148
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drgrant
This is going to sound dumb, but where'd they set the tire pressure? If the tires are way over or way under, it can mess with the handling of the car...

I'd also just have someone else drive it and see what they think. Sometimes "placebo effect" can get into your brain... not saying that is the case here but its worth checking against....

-Mike
The tire pressure is good. My mechanic friend drove my car and notice the same.
Old 02-13-18, 06:33 PM
SpicedRum
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Can you explain "loose and light" in more detail? I'm sorry, I'm not following too well. Is there more freeplay in the steering wheel now, as in less responsive to steering inputs? Or is the car wandering on the road without adding steering input?
If so, check the tightness of the sway bars at the mounting points and endlinks, the strut and the multilinks. Look for any oil seeping from the shock or rubber linkage bushing wear.

The alignment issue would generally make a car pull to one side, or wear tires unevenly rather than affecting the "looseness of the steering". Then again---it's very possible to get strange sensations with a poor alignment.

Hmm...
Old 02-13-18, 06:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

New tires will always have a lighter/looser feel.
Old 02-13-18, 08:27 PM
ha02148
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SpicedRum
Can you explain "loose and light" in more detail? I'm sorry, I'm not following too well. Is there more freeplay in the steering wheel now, as in less responsive to steering inputs? Or is the car wandering on the road without adding steering input?
If so, check the tightness of the sway bars at the mounting points and endlinks, the strut and the multilinks. Look for any oil seeping from the shock or rubber linkage bushing wear.

The alignment issue would generally make a car pull to one side, or wear tires unevenly rather than affecting the "looseness of the steering". Then again---it's very possible to get strange sensations with a poor alignment.

Hmm...
There is a bit of free play and less responsive. When I turn the steering, it was tighter before. The car is straight without adjusting.

Sorry, if I'm not explaining the issue too well. It is definitely not just in my head. I have been driving this car for more than 4 years almost every day.

I know something does not feels right.

Thanks
Old 02-13-18, 08:29 PM
ha02148
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
New tires will always have a lighter/looser feel.
This is before the new tires and after hitting the pothole.
Old 02-13-18, 11:47 PM
SpicedRum
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ha02148
There is a bit of free play and less responsive. When I turn the steering, it was tighter before. The car is straight without adjusting.

Sorry, if I'm not explaining the issue too well. It is definitely not just in my head. I have been driving this car for more than 4 years almost every day.

I know something does not feels right.

Thanks
Thank for clarifying that. I totally understand how it feels to experience a change from the norm. I'm sure it's not in your head too.

Take a good look at the strut and check for any oil leakage. Also take a measuring tape and try to, as accurate as you can, check the ride height on both sides. The top fender arch is a good spot to take a measurement. If the ride height is off by more than 1/4", something is wrong. Also check the spring for any cracks and all the bushings on the suspension for any sign of torn or missing rubber.
What is may also be is the sway bar mount may have been ripped loose--kind of doubt it, but it would create a sensation of less responsive steering. I would think you would hear it bang around a bit and would notice more body roll, but perhaps not.

Another idea is to take the car to a good alignment shop such as NTW. Ask for a road force balance and alignment. Discuss the issue with them and ask about aligning the wheels towards the middle of the factory specs.

Good luck with fixing it and please keep us up the date on how it's progressing.