GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Obsidian....a let down

Old 07-11-14, 07:51 PM
aguyindall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obsidian....a let down

It at, let me preface with the fact that I baby my car and only hand wash it.

I leased a 2014 F Sport in December 2013. Obsidian with Cabernet. When I took delivery, it was gorgeous!

Within 30 days, it started going downhill. I use only microfiber to wash and dry etc, but still those pesky swirl marks and fine scratches were showing up everywhere. Tried waxing and it slightly helped but still not like I wanted it. Over the past few months, it seemed to get worse and I got more mad with each wash. I work for a dealer (Volvo) and decided to put it up for sale on our website. Luckily, I sold it working a couple of weeks and made a profit doing it.

Thursday, I took delivery of the replacement, identical equipment, but this time Ultra White with Black interior (for less than I paid for the black one and less than I sold the black one for).

Much happier! I just believe that the Obsidian was super sensitive and perhaps the clear coat is too. I'm confident that the white will last much longer without showing every imperfection and I will be a happy owner.
Attached Thumbnails Obsidian....a let down-image-1099313136.jpg  
Old 07-11-14, 08:56 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Once you go black...
Old 07-11-14, 10:33 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i feel you, but the swirls on my obsidian f-sport don't bother me anymore.

nothing you can do about it, white is nice, but nothing beats a black f-sport IMO.
Old 07-12-14, 04:47 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Firstly, congrats!

Secondly, let me stress that the clearcoat that Lexus uses is soft regardless of colour. Its the same clearcoat on every colour so you will get the same marks and scratches that you did with obsidian, itll just be harder to see due to the lighter colour.
Old 07-12-14, 09:41 AM
harleymark
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rayaans
Firstly, congrats!

Secondly, let me stress that the clearcoat that Lexus uses is soft regardless of colour. Its the same clearcoat on every colour so you will get the same marks and scratches that you did with obsidian, itll just be harder to see due to the lighter colour.
This^^^^^^^

I have an Obsidian luxe package. It will swirl if you look at it sharply, but so do the lighter colors...You just don't see them as clearly.

To minimize swirls and fine scratches while washing, follow a multi-bucket wash process to avoid getting rinse dirt on your paint. Make sure you use quality microfiber towels and sponges for washing and drying (stay away from those sold at Walmart or other big box stores)- look in the detailing forum for recommendations on where to buy. Several good suppliers are forum members and vendors.

A good quality sealant will help, but not prevent, swirling. Waxes provide minimal protection, if any. A wax will temporarily fill in swirls and scratches, but will wear off over time which is why your obsidian paint's appearance started looking worse a few weeks after you waxed it.

I've learned to live with the fact that unless I never drive it, my car is going to pick up swirls from daily use. To me, nothing looks as good as a clean black car after a good detail!
Old 07-12-14, 09:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

If you're getting swirls it's a poor wash process, or poor quality MF towels, or poor quality wash media (spends, mitt, etc) 100%. Obsidian is tons of work (note the color I have lol) but it's certainly possible to keep it looking great. All it needed was a good, professional machine polish and it would have looked perfect again.

Black looks the best when it's properly cared for, and the worst when it isn't.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-12-14 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-12-14, 10:14 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

After I bought my first black car, I told myself never again. They look soo good in the showroom but after several months you'll hate it.
Old 07-12-14, 10:20 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Yea the clear coat is soft on this car. I got tree saps etched to the paint even if I clean it right away, especially after it dries.
Old 07-13-14, 03:34 AM
smomin23
Rookie

Simply put, once you go black you'll always try to go back haha! No no but I still love my ebony queen. I would recommend a ceramic clear coat (opti-coat and the like) I had a similar issue with swirls but the opti-coat provides good strong protection against it now and some minor paint correcting right before the coat helped a lot
Old 07-13-14, 04:37 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Originally Posted by smomin23
Simply put, once you go black you'll always try to go back haha! No no but I still love my ebony queen. I would recommend a ceramic clear coat (opti-coat and the like) I had a similar issue with swirls but the opti-coat provides good strong protection against it now and some minor paint correcting right before the coat helped a lot
I agree about the opticoat. I have had many black cars and so far this one with the opticoat is the best. I don't think there is a black car made no matter what the finish is that won't show some swirls and scratches. I tried the white and just couldn't pull the trigger and I don't regret my decision. Obviously color is a pure personal choice with no wrong answer.
Like they say "black isn't a color it's a second job".
Enjoy your new car.
JTMav
Old 07-13-14, 06:18 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

The last 5 cars I've owned all have been black vehicles of some variety. My first lexus was my first white car, and I went with the Starfire Pearl since Ultra white wasn't available in '13. While I can see small hairlines when searching them out in the right kind of light, I have to say I'll probably stay with this pearl white color for a very long time.

Only lesson I learned and I would convey to you is use water based tire shine only. The synthetic stuff most use like the dealership will stain your paint with brown spots. So just a heads up about that. Otherwise, welcome to the better color sir!
Old 07-13-14, 01:46 PM
jucytec
Rookie

had mine for over a year with not much swirls. sounds like OP may have had a dirtied cloth. I use 2 buckets + hand wash all my cloths. I would've detailed it by now but still looks good that I didn't do it yet.
Old 07-14-14, 04:50 AM
aguyindall
Driver School Candidate

Two bucket wash, only using micro fiber towels. Been using the same setup for a long time on other cars and never had issues.

I worked for an Acura dealer for 10 years and had several (4-5 per year) cars, usually in black and never had issues with paint quality.
Old 07-14-14, 06:29 AM
harryra
Rookie

I have a couple of Mercedes in black and its the same issue. I was told that all paints can show swirls but black especially because its the absorption of all light therefore showing all imperfections. I love black cars and when they are clean and polished they look great in my opinion.
Old 07-14-14, 08:21 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Haters gonna hate but at the end of the day, no matter how good your wash technique is, you will still get swirls.

Think about it - your cars travelling at 30 to 100mph depending on your journey, there's dust particles in the air and all sorts which will leave marks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Obsidian....a let down