GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2014-2016 gs350 fsport: a good decision?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-14, 10:42 AM
chadori
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014-2016 gs350 fsport: a good decision?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums as I never have owned any lexus vehicle. I know this is probably not the thread to make an introduction, but I feel that a brief intro will add a significance to my concern.

I am a second year college student right now sharing a car with my girlfriend, mainly because my last car got hydrolocked during a bad storm. It was an acura rsx type-s that had been built to push the limits of a street car. Ever since attending university, my taste has changed and I no longer feel the same connection towards making a car go fast. That partly has to do with test driving my girlfriend's mom's new lexus RX, thus I feel that the gs f sport would greatly satisfy a sporty look, yet luxurious feel.

So, I am trying to make a push for a 2014-2016 gs350 fsport when the end of 2016 arrives, since winter will most likely be my graduation. I know that I will only be able to save around 43-45k. My other option is to get a new subaru brz by the end of 2015 and call it a day.

Should I be aiming for a low mileage CPO with that budget? Is it even wise to pursue this car at such a fragile moment in my life? I was thinking to myself and it seemed that the brz would be the smart purchase, but not so drastic that the F-sport would send me to eating cup noodles.

Thanks for the input.

-edit: I know that if I get the BRZ, I WILL, WITHOUT A DOUBT, MOD IT. Although I will do some exterior mods on the f-sport such as a five-axis kit, I won't be boosting it anytime soon. My point is that with the BRZ i will mod it and end up spending the same amount as a brand new, if not more, gs fsport.

Last edited by chadori; 07-06-14 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-06-14, 11:18 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure if there's a question for anyone here to answer. You started by asking which vehicle is the smarter financial decision, then end by saying you'll spend the same either way... If that's the case, the answer is pretty easy. Get the car you like more.
Old 07-06-14, 11:47 AM
Sosodef79
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are into modding, the GS does not have as much things as most would think. Things like exhaust and intake have limited choices. For Springs there are only 2 or 3 i can think off and if you do Coilovers you will lose the "Dampening" feature the F Sport has on its suspension. I really would recommend reading up on this form more before you decide.

Best of luck
Old 07-06-14, 11:48 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

If I were you, I would go for low mileage, slightly used GS instead. These cars are rock solid, 1 - 2 years won't show much wear, it will look and drive just as new, but much cheaper. And personally, I would never spend the last money on the car. I'd like to have some $ stashed for a rainy day but it's your money, so we can't tell you how to spend it, we could only share our point of you.
Old 07-06-14, 12:35 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sosodef79
If you are into modding, the GS does not have as much things as most would think. Things like exhaust and intake have limited choices. For Springs there are only 2 or 3 i can think off and if you do Coilovers you will lose the "Dampening" feature the F Sport has on its suspension. I really would recommend reading up on this form more before you decide.

Best of luck
there is a compatible coilovers
Old 07-06-14, 12:58 PM
chadori
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
If I were you, I would go for low mileage, slightly used GS instead. These cars are rock solid, 1 - 2 years won't show much wear, it will look and drive just as new, but much cheaper. And personally, I would never spend the last money on the car. I'd like to have some $ stashed for a rainy day but it's your money, so we can't tell you how to spend it, we could only share our point of you.
thanks, this was the type of answer I was looking for

i didn't know whether the 1-3 year of wear would be worth it, the RX i mentioned is already 13k miles and i would have never guessed it without looking at the odo

and i see what you are saying about money for rainy days.. i figured since i won't be truly out of school until i'm late 20's i may as well get me a graduation gift for undergrad
Old 07-06-14, 01:01 PM
chadori
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sosodef79

Best of luck
yea that's another reason i'm leaning towards the GS, i just want to do simple mods (wheels and a slight drop with a full lip around)

but i will look into that coilover dilemma that you've mentioned
Old 07-06-14, 01:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
And personally, I would never spend the last money on the car. I'd like to have some $ stashed for a rainy day but it's your money, so we can't tell you how to spend it, we could only share our point of you.
Absolutely...OP has his whole life ahead of him to drive a fancy car. No need to hurt yourself now to buy one.
Old 07-06-14, 01:07 PM
chadori
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Absolutely...OP has his whole life ahead of him to drive a fancy car. No need to hurt yourself now to buy one.
true, hold off right now for something possibly greater in the future
Old 07-06-14, 01:37 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, buy something shameful for now, so by the time you get a decent job, you can reward yourself with something nice as you climb the ladder. Get a stripper Mini Cooper, Miata, whatever.

Also do you know they make the RX in an F Sport also? It's pretty sexy...for an RX.
Old 07-06-14, 02:15 PM
chadori
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Yeah, buy something shameful for now, so by the time you get a decent job, you can reward yourself with something nice as you climb the ladder. Get a stripper Mini Cooper, Miata, whatever.

Also do you know they make the RX in an F Sport also? It's pretty sexy...for an RX.
definitely, but i can't say i won't try to get the GS if a good deal is in front of me, but who knows, maybe my perspective will change again in the next two years or so

and yea i seen the rx f sport in person once
Old 07-06-14, 06:55 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The first new car I purchased myself when I was in college and got my first real job was a Honda Accord. I kept it for 3 years and over 70k miles. I traded it for a Datsun 200SX (dating myself), which was a little bit of a step up. After I was settled and making good money I traded that for a Datsun 280ZX. Then came Acuras, Infinitis, a BMW and finally... Lexus. It was the car my dad had always owned and I had always aspired to. By waiting, I gave myself the chance to buy a decent place to live, travel and have the discretionary income I wouldn't have had if I'd jumped right into a luxury car. Give yourself some time. The longer you wait, the more appreciation you will have for it when you finally get it!

As a side note, I had always wanted a Lexus SC300 when it was first introduced, but it was way beyond my means. Many years later, I ended up finding a '99 SC300 with only 25k miles, in perfect shape, for only $30k so I got what I had always wanted, as good as new, for a much lower price than it originally sold for. You can do that with the GS as well.
Old 07-06-14, 09:06 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you considered going for a new IS 250 or 350 F-Sport? It's going to be at least $10-15k cheaper than the GS which puts it right around or just above the BRZ price range. But at least you'll have a Lexus which is Sporty and Luxurious and then later on you can step up to the GS when you're ready. I'm 26 myself and the GS is my 3rd Lexus in 8 years, but the first one I was able to get new (1994 ES300, 2001 GS430, and now 2013 GS350 F-Sport). Good luck!
Old 07-07-14, 12:25 AM
chadori
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dseag2
The first new car I purchased myself when I was in college and got my first real job was a Honda Accord. I kept it for 3 years and over 70k miles. I traded it for a Datsun 200SX (dating myself), which was a little bit of a step up. After I was settled and making good money I traded that for a Datsun 280ZX. Then came Acuras, Infinitis, a BMW and finally... Lexus. It was the car my dad had always owned and I had always aspired to. By waiting, I gave myself the chance to buy a decent place to live, travel and have the discretionary income I wouldn't have had if I'd jumped right into a luxury car. Give yourself some time. The longer you wait, the more appreciation you will have for it when you finally get it!

As a side note, I had always wanted a Lexus SC300 when it was first introduced, but it was way beyond my means. Many years later, I ended up finding a '99 SC300 with only 25k miles, in perfect shape, for only $30k so I got what I had always wanted, as good as new, for a much lower price than it originally sold for. You can do that with the GS as well.
i see, thank you for the input
i really can't see myself traveling anywhere until i'm over 30, mainly because i enjoy school alot and with med school or graduate school right after undergrad, it doesn't leave me much options unless i do a foreign exchange program, which i would not do

i either see myself living with my mom or at an apartment close to campus, but mainly because my mom is getting older and i really don't want to stray too far

and yes definitely, with time does come appreciation

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Have you considered going for a new IS 250 or 350 F-Sport? It's going to be at least $10-15k cheaper than the GS which puts it right around or just above the BRZ price range. But at least you'll have a Lexus which is Sporty and Luxurious and then later on you can step up to the GS when you're ready. I'm 26 myself and the GS is my 3rd Lexus in 8 years, but the first one I was able to get new (1994 ES300, 2001 GS430, and now 2013 GS350 F-Sport). Good luck!
i did look into the is350 f sport a little bit, but a friend of mine already picked it up so i really wouldn't want to end up at her house one day sporting the same car, although i really do like the LFA inspired cluster

who knows, i know that i'm not the type of person that will have owned multiple cars seeing as how the rsx was my only car since i was 16, i also received suggestions of the new mb cla250, but i really dislike how the interior was done on that car

all in all, i think i'm just at a point where i just want luxury with some sportyness, it gives me a headache having to deal with performance shops if i were to go the brz route, i've considered the f10 535i msport, but lexus' reliability is too attractive to risk it elsewhere
Old 07-07-14, 12:58 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I see an RC 350 in your future.

Quick Reply: 2014-2016 gs350 fsport: a good decision?