GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS design question

Old 06-26-14, 04:46 AM
mydawgz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 GS design question

I am currently driving my 3rd GS. I had a 93, 98 and my present GS is an 06. It is time to trade it in and I really want to do it today!! I have 95k on my car and my goal was to trade before it reached 100k. I have been pouring over the 2013 models and I have to say I am not impressed with the new interior or exterior design. Can anyone who has had previous GS models tell me if they like the new design of the 2013? I have narrowed down a few color combos, but I honestly just don't like the inside. (it is visually unappealing to me). I don't think I want to move up to an LS (8cyl) and I don't think the IS will be what I am used to driving. (maybe too sporty). I would upgrade to a 2012 GS model but I was anxious for a little change.
Can anyone sell me on this new style? Do you like it better than previous GS models? (The positioning of the buttons..radio etc..remind me of my friends Infinity which I don't like) How is the performance and comfort? Thanks
Old 06-26-14, 05:02 AM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, the GS4 is the first GS I am in love with. Although the f-sport look is a must in my opinion and some bigger concave wheels are also something that finishes the model as a whole.

The interior is the best I have ever had. The GS3 and models before that don't come close to the quality used. Quality wise this GS is very close to the LS.

That leaves the taste factor. And that is so personal, there's no point starting a discussion over. But performance and quality wise, you can't go wrong with the GS4.

But you sound like you don't really like it, so why try to have people sell you the car? If you don't like it, you don't like it.
Old 06-26-14, 05:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The fabulous interior is the main reason why I have one!
Old 06-26-14, 05:12 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mydawgz
I am currently driving my 3rd GS. I had a 93, 98 and my present GS is an 06. It is time to trade it in and I really want to do it today!! I have 95k on my car and my goal was to trade before it reached 100k. I have been pouring over the 2013 models and I have to say I am not impressed with the new interior or exterior design. Can anyone who has had previous GS models tell me if they like the new design of the 2013? I have narrowed down a few color combos, but I honestly just don't like the inside. (it is visually unappealing to me). I don't think I want to move up to an LS (8cyl) and I don't think the IS will be what I am used to driving. (maybe too sporty). I would upgrade to a 2012 GS model but I was anxious for a little change.
Can anyone sell me on this new style? Do you like it better than previous GS models? (The positioning of the buttons..radio etc..remind me of my friends Infinity which I don't like) How is the performance and comfort? Thanks
I was in a similar position, I did not love the new GS interior nor did I like the the old one. So if you ask me NO and YEs, the new interior is nicer than the old one.

My advise go with AWD to avoid the 8sp transm.

Last edited by FastTags; 06-26-14 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-26-14, 05:42 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Your asking people in a 4GS forum if we like our interiors?..... The majority of the answers would be YES. If we didnt like the interior we would be posting messages on a BMW or Mercedes forum. I think you will get better response from people in General Cars forum than you would get from us. I personally choose my 4GS because of the interior. I have driven 2GS and 3GS and was not impressed at all and that kelpt me away from buy those previous cars. I think the 4GS interior is on par with BMW and Mercedes interiors.

Just go to the dealer and sit in one yourself. First sit in a 2014 ES350 and feel around the cabin. Then sit in a 2014 IS350 and feel around that car too. After that sit in a 2014 GS350 and you will notice how much of a step up you will get going from an IS or ES to A GS. When you sit in a IS or ES everthing you touch about 70% of it is hard plastic. When you sit in a GS everything you touch is either leather or soft touch plastic which is way beter imho. This GS is every bit quality or luxurious as an 2014 LS460. I have owned a 2006 LS430 and still consider the 4GS the better interior car.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 06-26-14 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-26-14, 05:59 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

I think I saw your post in the 3GS section, I had a 3GS and this the best I have seen for interior. Like Joeb427 said its what sold me as well. Like I said in your other post you should sit in one before you make any decision.
Old 06-26-14, 07:06 AM
mydawgz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks and I am glad I am not alone. I think its because the first thing I notice when I look at the dash on the new GS are the 2 AC vents and 2 radio ***** which seem awkwardly far apart. I am hoping I get it and I fall in love with the new style. Just like the other guys have said.... the feel between the GS and IS/ES models is no comparison. Our cars seem far more superior and luxurious. Considering I have had a Lexus the majority of my driving life, I have no intention of moving to BMW or Mercedes. I am looking at a dark blue with the flaxen interior. Also my other concern was the 06 was the first year of that new body style and as many of us have posted over the years, the first year of a complete makeover has its share of issues. I guess I was just curious how everyone liked the new changes. Thanks again.
Old 06-26-14, 07:20 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love this new generation GS, & the f-sport has taken a car that was identified as an old man/lady's car to another level. It can be as luxurious as you want, yet, as fun & sporty as you like. I took an expensive detour when looking for a replacement for a SC430 in 2012. I needed a sedan and did not like that generation of Lexus, and in a round about way, I'm settled in a car I truly enjoy. Hope this helps.....just my opinion....to answer your question.
Old 06-26-14, 07:22 AM
harryra
Rookie

The car will grow on you for sure. Before I bought a new GS a few weeks ago I felt that the IS, ES, GS and LS all looked similar, especially the ES and GS. Once I got a close look my thought process changed and started noticing big differences in the look of the cars both inside and outside. In the end we are not here to "sell you". You have to sell yourself....
Old 06-26-14, 08:01 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

If u don't like the car, don't buy it, or u might regret it later on like some people here...

Buy the car u like from the start!

Just sayin'.....

Me? I love every little thing of my 4GS, yes including the 8-spd tranny now that I've gotten used to it and know how it behaves.
Old 06-26-14, 08:12 AM
wgu8213
Rookie

My parents had the 2nd generation GS and that's when I fell in love with Lexus. It was a well designed interior, comfortable etc. I think Lexus got a little lost in the 3rd generation GS because the interior is HIDEOUS.

With the 4th generation, I love the layout of the interior. I checked out BMW (too plain), Cadillac (too common), MB (trying too hard), and Audi (too boring). Lexus knocked it out of the park. As soon as you sit in it, luxury just wraps around you. I would say second place for interior goes to Cadillac.

I'm not the biggest fan of the exterior though. It's not bad but it could be more aggressive. The GS and ES are starting to look too similar in the front. First place for exterior goes to the Cadillac CTS for me.
Old 06-26-14, 08:51 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Old 06-26-14, 09:00 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a '10 GSh prior to picking up a '13 GSh. Huge difference in my opinion. Loved the '10, but really love the '13. To me the '13 appears roomier and more luxurious. I love the huge nav screen and was glad to get away from that 'all in the center stack' approach of the past model years. I also like the improved gas mileage. I am getting over 500 miles to a tank regularly (remember this is the hybrid). Never got close to that in the '10. The only thing I have a huge dislike for is the mouse control. But I can certainly look beyond that. And on the '13, I miss the folding side view mirrors.

But in the end as others have said, if you don't like it, don't buy it. I always say you can't buy a car and have it grow on you. Could end up being an expensive mistake.
Old 06-26-14, 10:22 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The GS F sport looks amazing imo and it has the best interior in its class, its a shame you dont feel the same way
Old 06-26-14, 10:45 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mydawgz
I can say that I made the switch from Infinti G to Lexus GS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 GS design question