GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What's your plan after the 4GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-14, 09:03 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I hope you're right. I almost pulled the trigger on an IS350 F a couple of weeks ago. Great price, right color and options, but holding out for the 2015s for ventilated seats and in hopes that they include that touchpad. The current mouse is my least favorite feature. If you're right about the gray finish, that would be a bonus too.
The press release is already out for the 2015 IS and it is keeping its remote touch mouse and not incorporating the touch pad. Ventilated seats on the F Sports are included, however, as is the matte center console trim.
Old 07-15-14, 09:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

You won't see the touch pads until the mid cycle refresh.
Old 07-15-14, 09:51 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I wish I could. Unfortunately it came around about 5 years too late for me to be in a time in my life when I could have a coupe. Its the first coupe that has really appealed to me.

As is the IS, FYI. IS, GS, RC...same basic platform.

The RC and IS share the same basic dashboard, steering wheel...
I'm definitely considering a coupe. Can't wait to see what the RC looks like in person. Hopefully it looks better than it does on my screen. Also I'm not so sure about spending GS money for a car with an interior that's not much different from the IS. I personally think the BMW 4 series looks better, at least exterior wise since I heard the interior is really cheap looking. However, I do dread visiting their service department and getting to know all the SA by first names.
Old 07-15-14, 11:20 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDR76
The press release is already out for the 2015 IS and it is keeping its remote touch mouse and not incorporating the touch pad. Ventilated seats on the F Sports are included, however, as is the matte center console trim.
Yeah I read that, which is what made me hold out in the first place.. I think the touch pad is just wishful thinking on my part, but then who knows what bugs it could encounter? At least the mouse is proven.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You won't see the touch pads until the mid cycle refresh.
Yeah I would tend to agree. I'm not waiting 3-4 years though! Maybe they'll bring it in with the 200t engine. Ahhhh, oh well.
Old 07-16-14, 12:46 AM
EndlessRed
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the mouse control really that bad? It seems to get a bad rap everywhere I look. I tried it on a loaned ES350 and didn't think much of it, but I didn't use it much while driving. I'm also hoping the touch pad would make it to the 2015 GS...but after reading the IS press release, I think my hopes have been dashed.
Old 07-16-14, 03:41 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by EndlessRed
Is the mouse control really that bad? It seems to get a bad rap everywhere I look. I tried it on a loaned ES350 and didn't think much of it, but I didn't use it much while driving. I'm also hoping the touch pad would make it to the 2015 GS...but after reading the IS press release, I think my hopes have been dashed.
I think it is awful.
Old 07-16-14, 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I personally like the mouse control just fine.

As for the RC interior...wait and judge material quality. My guess is it will be much better than the IS.
Old 07-16-14, 08:54 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Personally, I think the mouse is fantastic. I'm skeptical on the touch pad, but will need to try it out to be sure. I use the mouse daily on my IS and RX and have no complaints. It just takes some time to get used to, but now I don't even think about it. I have an extreme dislike of touch screens, so I really like remote touch.
Old 07-16-14, 09:01 AM
5thavenue
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the mouse control really that bad? It seems to get a bad rap everywhere I look.
I think that one of the main reasons that it gets a bad rap from the car review magazines and websites is that they probably only play with it for 5 - 10 minutes and don't bother to change the sensitivity settings while they are doing so.

I quickly agreed with the reviewers for the first day or two with my GS but as I adjusted the settings and played with it more I got used to it and I like it just fine. The remote touch is much better than many of the other systems that are out there.
Old 07-16-14, 10:29 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have an extreme dislike of touch screens, so I really like remote touch.
+1 . . . .It took some time and adjusting to get used to the control. But I tend the like it way more than the touch screens of the past. Primarily because I don't have to reach in order to touch and I don't have fingerprints all over my screen. I probably could get used to a touch pad just that same. Maybe I'll get a chance to try one out one of these days.
Old 07-16-14, 11:22 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

No problem with the mouse control here too. The haptic feedback is great.
Old 07-16-14, 12:58 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Just wish the mouse had an "Enter" button on the left side, where your thumb rests, a la the RX. Would make it much easier to select items, as pushing the mouse straight down, while trying not to move it can be tough while driving.
Old 07-16-14, 01:41 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thavenue
I think that one of the main reasons that it gets a bad rap from the car review magazines and websites is that they probably only play with it for 5 - 10 minutes and don't bother to change the sensitivity settings while they are doing so.

I quickly agreed with the reviewers for the first day or two with my GS but as I adjusted the settings and played with it more I got used to it and I like it just fine. The remote touch is much better than many of the other systems that are out there.
I have probably put 1000 miles on our GS. I hate it. Part and parcel to the mouse is that it takes several steps to get to many functions such as scrolling through songs.
Old 07-16-14, 02:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Just wish the mouse had an "Enter" button on the left side, where your thumb rests, a la the RX. Would make it much easier to select items, as pushing the mouse straight down, while trying not to move it can be tough while driving.
I hated the system in the RX. To me pressing down on the cursor is much more natural than pressing the enter button with your thumb.

Have you adjusted your sensitivity settings? I never have any issues pressing down while moving.

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I have probably put 1000 miles on our GS. I hate it. Part and parcel to the mouse is that it takes several steps to get to many functions such as scrolling through songs.
1,000 miles spread out over months and years is not enough to acclimate yourself to the way a system works. You're primarily used to the iDrive in your BMW, and unless you really started driving the GS every day you're never going to get past your muscle memory with it and get used to the Lexus system. If I got in your BMW and drove it sporadically spread out over time I'd be just as frustrated with your iDrive.

As for scrolling through songs, it depends on what your screen is set to. I leave the right screen on audio and the main screen on the nav map. When I want to scroll through songs or something, I simply click the button in the bottom left of the right screen to send audio to the main screen, then everything I need to scroll songs is right there.

I do agree that the wheel function of BMW's iDrive is much better for selecting through menus, although remember you have an up/down button above the mouse for that on the RTC too.
Old 07-16-14, 04:31 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5thavenue

I agree 5thAve. The first 2-3 weeks with the remote touch was VERY annoying, but after I started to learn the system and memorize the menu path to my favorite functions it became much more seamless.

My main gripe now is that the interface sometimes feels slow and takes too long to get to the next screen or select the next function.

Quick Reply: What's your plan after the 4GS?