GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Advice on buying a used Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-14, 11:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmexus
That wasn't my intention, but I'm not sure why the word "rent" should be so offensive?
You and I both know the intention of coming in and saying "Not everybody wants to drive a rental car" to someone's suggestion that he lease. That was meant to be a disparaging statement.

In your case since you want to drive brand new cars and only drive them for a short period of time it sounds like a great deal. For myself and the OP who like to buy used and drive for longer periods if time it's not the same. Like I said from the beginning, leasing/renting cars isn't for everybody and I think we should all be ok with that lol.
And theres nothing wrong with that statement...in fact I made that exact statement several times. Just state your viewpoint without making value judgements about other people's viewpoints.

To add to the discussion, lets do the numbers after 10 years:

To illustrate the difference after 9 years (easier), if we value a 2005 GS on KBB we get $5,298. So, its cost us $52,399.20 to own this vehicle for 10 years. Plus costs of repair, maintenance which would not be required on a new car, etc.

Lets look at leasing. First 3 years....$22,139. Second 3...price goes up $50...so $23,939....third 3...price goes up $50 more....so $25,739. Add those together, you get $71,817. This is where you really see the benefit of driving a car into the ground vs continually leasing...but I'm not about to do that because I enjoy driving new cars too much.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-30-14 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-30-14, 11:28 AM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
No intention of turning this into a lease vs buy thread, but the idea of "gaining equity" in a depreciating asset doesn't appeal to me. You're never gaining with a car, always losing whether you owe more than its value or less than its value...its value is always declining.
Actually I said "not everybody likes to rent cars". Take it how you want I guess?
I give up on trying to reason with you lol. Obviously you're just looking to be mad about something and drag out a totally off topic argument so have at it, buddy.

I see you edited your post now though....

Last edited by Schmexus; 06-30-14 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-30-14, 11:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, I'm not mad at all. Just presenting a very factual argument.
Old 06-30-14, 11:35 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

leasing is not for every one, but it has it perks if you can afford it and like to switch cars often. Its not just for business owners, lots of folks who want to have a new car every 2-3 years do it.

I do it, and I love it.
Old 06-30-14, 11:36 AM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Something tells me that if I had used the word "lease" we would still be having this discussion.

Let me rephrase my original statement and tell me where I was wrong:

"Not everybody likes to lease cars".

Originally Posted by FastTags
leasing is not for every one.
Agreed.
Old 06-30-14, 11:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schmexus
Something tells me that if I had used the word "lease" we would still be having this discussion.
I can tell you that insofar as my involvement we would not be.

But...it has turned into a valuable discussion so its not all bad.
Old 06-30-14, 12:12 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Good discussing on buying vs leasing. I have always been a buy car new and drive it for 10+ years kind of guy. Drove my 91 Camry for 10+ years and my 2000 Camry for 14+ years until I bought the GS. I concur though if getting a new car every 3 years or so is your thing, leasing is your best bet.

I plan on keeping the GS 10+ years as well unless the next gen GS is something that I can't resist. Leasing might be in my future then.
Old 06-30-14, 12:20 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

I have a major problem with being attached to the vehicle for more than a year. After a year or so, all cars to me feel used and everything is just wrong, either its the scratches or the wrinkles on the seats, or the chipped window etc, or AC smell... And that makes me wanna get something new.

I find a million reasons is to why to get a new car.
Old 06-30-14, 12:22 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I have a major problem with being attached to the vehicle for more than a year. After a year or so, all cars to me feel used and everything is just wrong, either its the scratches or the wrinkles on the seats, or the chipped window etc, or AC smell... And that makes me wanna get something new.

I find a million reasons is to why to get a new car.
Well ur not the only one.
Old 06-30-14, 12:30 PM
praetor
Racer

I'm the opposite. Only after 2 years or so is when I really have fun with the car and open her up. When new, I tend to baby the car. After it's gotten it's first few scratches and dings is when I really open her up. I generally get rid of the car though before it needs major repairs. Been lucky so far as Toyotas are built really well and I have yet to need any major repairs.

The GS has opened my eyes though. I have been missing out on all the cool gadgets and performance. I must say though there is a lot of enjoyment driving an old beater and not caring if someone dings it. LOL
Old 06-30-14, 12:33 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

All these electronics will be expensive to repair when they break.
Old 06-30-14, 12:34 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Well ur not the only one.
Just out of curiosity, do you treat women same way?

cuz i do )
Old 06-30-14, 12:36 PM
praetor
Racer

What costs more to trade in? The car or the women? LOL
Old 06-30-14, 12:39 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Just out of curiosity, do you treat women same way?

cuz i do )
There was a saying and I read it somewhere here in CL! that goes.. "Never buy depreciating assets, only lease them!" or something like that.

So I guess ur doing it right..
Old 06-30-14, 12:46 PM
harryra
Rookie

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
There was a saying and I read it somewhere here in CL! that goes.. "Never buy depreciating assets, only lease them!" or something like that.

So I guess ur doing it right..
If it floats, flies, drives or fu*cks.....lease it.....Is that the saying you're looking for?

Quick Reply: Advice on buying a used Lexus