GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Question about spotify

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-14, 08:11 AM
BRJACKET
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about spotify

For those of you who use this, what quality do you set for music playback. When I initially downloaded the app, I let it be the default. I since have set it for extreme high quality. I have had a few times now where the streaming pauses during playback (on 3G) which I assume is due to the higher quality.

When you are using this in your car do you set the playback for the high quality and if so, do you have any problems with pausing. Also does it help to connect your phone (I Phone for me) to the car. I wouldn't think it would matter but just asking.
Old 06-24-14, 09:05 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

I use Spotify on my iPhone via bluetooth and never had a problem. But I'm also on the stock/default settings. I haven't had any problems when plugged in through the USB either.. It may be that the higher quality is causing it to stream at a faster rate that the 3G cannot keep up with.
Old 06-24-14, 09:30 AM
BailsVT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Spotify and I have it set on the high quality setting. If you make you playlists available offline you will not have any streaming issues.
Old 06-24-14, 10:19 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BailsVT
I use Spotify and I have it set on the high quality setting. If you make you playlists available offline you will not have any streaming issues.
Making the Spotify playlists available offline is the key, I've noticed. When all else fails, I go back to Itunes Radio or mp3s.
Old 06-24-14, 10:38 AM
BRJACKET
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help. I will give that a shot.
Old 06-24-14, 10:39 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I have streaming set to normal. It still sounds great. I save the most frequently listened to songs offline in high/extreme. I tried a higher quality streaming and it was just too much data being used. I also was on LTE when streaming in high quality so I didn't have any problems with the music stopping though.
Old 06-24-14, 12:27 PM
BRJACKET
Driver School Candidate

How do you save certain songs to high quality? Isn't it an overall setting?
Old 06-25-14, 10:15 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BailsVT
If you make the playlist available offline, does that mean it is DL'ed to your phone?
Old 06-25-14, 10:34 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BRJACKET
How do you save certain songs to high quality? Isn't it an overall setting?
It is an overall setting. I will choose high instead of extreme if I'm strapped for memory lol.
Originally Posted by Kcook700
If you make the playlist available offline, does that mean it is DL'ed to your phone?
Yup, it's downloaded. What I'm trying to figure out is if Spotify will still stream a playlist that has been saved for offline play when you are online...
Old 06-25-14, 05:11 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yardie876
What I'm trying to figure out is if Spotify will still stream a playlist that has been saved for offline play when you are online...
I don't see why not. Whether you are online or offline, that playlist should be saved to your account and capable of playing..
Old 06-25-14, 05:28 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

I don't see why not. Whether you are online or offline, that playlist should be saved to your account and capable of playing..
What I mean is if I don't want to use data I can save the playlist for offline listening. My question is if Spotify will still stream a playlist even though it is saved when "online" or would you have to go "offline" for it to play the saved song instead of stream it. Kinda complicated to explain.
Old 06-26-14, 07:12 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
What I mean is if I don't want to use data I can save the playlist for offline listening. My question is if Spotify will still stream a playlist even though it is saved when "online" or would you have to go "offline" for it to play the saved song instead of stream it. Kinda complicated to explain.
I understand exactly what you are trying to ask and I will try to explain.

If you have a playlist that is saved for offline use, it will NEVER use cellular data to stream the song after it has been downloaded the first time. Even if you are online, it will play from the phones memory. That is why there are two settings for quality, one for music that is streamed and one for music that is stored. You can use wifi to store the music on your device using a higher quality and opt for a lower quality for streaming so as to not deplete your data plan if that is a concern.

My personal opinion is extreme for both qualities because I am a music nut with a 64GB iPhone and 15GB monthly data plan lol.

-Joe
Old 06-26-14, 01:14 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

$9.95 monthly Spotify plan is worth it. It's like a custom Pandora without the ads and you can create your own playlist/mixes or just listen to someone else's.
Old 07-02-14, 11:58 PM
Michaelang
Driver School Candidate

Yes, you pay for that service though. $10/month.
Old 07-03-14, 05:45 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaelang
Yes, you pay for that service though. $10/month.
If you are a student, it is half price.

Quick Reply: Question about spotify