GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My 3 month review!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-14, 11:02 AM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS

I don't care if they love me or not LOL.

But yes, I'm pretty much a car salesman's worst nightmare. I've been buying Lexus vehicles so long they actually typically just let me take them and drive them on my own.
That would be an ideal "test drive". My employer has been given keys to vehicles to drive for the weekend. He always ended up buying them so I guess it works.
Old 06-22-14, 04:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Yeah I only do that when I get really serious about a car. I don't go do that with every option, I do a normal test drive and narrow it down, and then really get as much experience with my top choice before I buy.

For instance, I put maybe 10 miles on the competition each, but when I decided the GS was my top choice I really spent time testing it out before I pulled the trigger.
Old 06-23-14, 06:52 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

1. You can modify this under settings.
2. This can be set via the DISP steering wheel button.
3. Use the radio ***** instead of the joystick or only have left handed pasengers. Also, it is easier to not default back to nav-screen.

Originally Posted by sambb
I am a newbie but a few things bother me
1. It goes to the NAV screen after a phone call, when it was on the radio screen prior to a call
2. The blue light goes in and out on acceleration, how can that be turned off
3. It is difficult for the passenger to change the radio station, easily

Nevertheless, after owning several BMWs, all I can say is that it seems Lexus is far more reliable.

I wish the gas mileage was slightly better - like 24 rather than 21 for my driving.
Old 06-23-14, 07:03 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You really need to test drive a vehicle in a myriad of different conditions before purchasing it. Driving it twice, and driving it the same way both times is not an adequate test, obviously because now that you are driving the car normally you're unhappy. I always test drive a car 5+ times before I buy, in 5+ different types of situations. Urban, suburban, highway, etc etc.

Driving it hard as the only test when you won't be driving it that way every time isn't an adequate test. Lots of cars drive great when pushed but feel terrible in normal driving.

I had put at least 100 miles on the GS before I bought it...over the course of multiple test drives.
that maybe so, but regardless of weather I purchased the right car or not, the 8spd transmission sucks *** and I am not the only one who think so. You can blame me for not testing enough or for anything else but you cannot blame me for the transmission that does not downshifts when it needs to, or any other mishaps that it may have.
Old 06-23-14, 10:42 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sittinlow1
Have a f sport for 3 months now and heres my negatives about the car! Dont attack me just giving my opinion.

4. Too much wheel gap for a sport badged car.

Lets hear it!
Old 06-23-14, 11:15 AM
ayo
Driver School Candidate

I laugh when I hear people complain about this car being "underpowered"

I came from a Mercedes Benz CLS63 AMG. For 4 years I drove around with 507HP at my disposal. A giant that damn near sounded like a diesel when you started it. A beautiful diesel that is. The car had endless pull. Scary to drive most of the time.

So what you say?

I needed a break. Something fun and reliable to drive.

I just bought a GS350 F-Sport and i think the car has plenty of power for what it is. A mid sized luxury sedan. The car is what it is. When I was shopping around I was also looking at the 535i M Sport. Not the 550i, not the M5, not a S6/S7 or even a RS7. If I wanted one of those I would have held on to my CLS63.

Could you get more power for the money? Sure. Buy American. But are you going to get the luxury and reliability that comes with the Lexus brand?

The cars you guys want the GS350 to be are in a completely different market segment than what we paid for. If you were expecting anything differently then this wasn't the car for you.

So if I came from a V8 6.2L rocket ship and I'm not complaining....how are you guys complaining?

Last edited by ayo; 06-23-14 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-23-14, 11:18 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Nobody needs more than 300+ HP unless you're towing large items up hills, racing the track or compensating for something.
Old 06-23-14, 12:24 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

And nobody needs to tell me what I don't need. None of us needs a Lexus at all and a Honda Accord will get all of us where to go for half the price, but I don't tell people on forums that is all they need and they should not be complaining.
Old 06-23-14, 12:43 PM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Came from a 385 HP V8 but simply put, the GS350 is more engaging to drive. Just need to put your foot in it now and then.
Old 06-23-14, 01:04 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Originally Posted by jjscsix
And nobody needs to tell me what I don't need. None of us needs a Lexus at all and a Honda Accord will get all of us where to go for half the price, but I don't tell people on forums that is all they need and they should not be complaining.
It's a public forum. Nobody's telling you to do anything. Take it, or leave it. Freedom of choice.
Old 06-23-14, 01:18 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
It's a public forum. Nobody's telling you to do anything. Take it, or leave it. Freedom of choice.
Read the two posts above mine, that is what I was responding to. I guess you are telling me they have the freedom to tell us what we should be happy with or not, but I don't have the freedom to respond???
Old 06-23-14, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
that maybe so, but regardless of weather I purchased the right car or not, the 8spd transmission sucks *** and I am not the only one who think so. You can blame me for not testing enough or for anything else but you cannot blame me for the transmission that does not downshifts when it needs to, or any other mishaps that it may have.
And we've heard your viewpoint about the transmission over...and over...and over again. At what point are you going to stop focusing so much of your energy on this subject and move on? You've said you won't trade the car in...so what can anybody here do for you? Even Lexus can't do anything for you because you refuse to trade in the car you're unhappy with...

I can't stand people who just want to complain and aren't interested in solutions to their issues
Old 06-23-14, 02:26 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-14, 02:52 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah like I recently deduced, it's the gearing that makes the engine feel like it could benefit from 50 or so more HP. I think more people want more grunt off the line and 1st gear is lazy and long. It pulls just fine on the highway.
Old 06-23-14, 03:53 PM
harryra
Rookie

Wow....So much bickering and I'm not even involved. Nothing wrong with the car so far as I can see....Engine is strong enough and transmission works fine.....

Quick Reply: My 3 month review!