learning about the engine in GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-14, 08:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Harry,

Your problem is not with your arguments; they are, by and large, sound and well-supported with evidence. Rather, the problem is with your attitude. You are snide, and no amount of throwaway compliments, equivocations, or gently couched barbs hides your true intent from those you target: you are all about putting other people down in order to elevate yourself above them based on the financial resources you command. You've been called on this many times, yet it seems you cannot desist or ameliorate your attitude to any substantial degree. This is unfortunate.
I don't think you and I have ever agreed on anything before, but we do here LOL.

Originally Posted by harryra
What I find sad is that I'm challenged on comments I make like MPG on an S or C-Class Mercedes by someone who either knows nothing of that brand or has never owned one
The issue is that the MPG of an MB S or C class is not comparable to the MPG of a Lexus GS because they are not comparable vehicles. The S Class is larger and more expensive, and compares with the LS (if even..), and the C Class is smaller and cheaper and compares with the IS and ES (to a lesser extent). If you want to compare the GS is an MB...compare it to its competitor, the E Class.
Old 06-22-14, 08:21 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robert1408
For any members interested, I have a 12 page PDF that goes into great detail about this engine. It was written by the Toyota people who developed this engine. It's very technical and informative. Unfortunately I'm an old technophobe so I have no idea how to post it here. I have it as an email attachment and would be happy to forward it to anyone interested who wants to PM me with an email address to send it to. Maybe someone here would like to post the file here.
I'd love to see what you have in the PDF. Please post it so others can download it as well. It's really very simple to do:

In a quick reply, there is a button at the bottom of the screen "Go Advanced." That will take your reply to the full-featured screen. There's a paperclip icon (for Manage Attachments) just to the right of the Fonts/Sizes/Colors boxes. Click it and it will bring up the Manage Attachments window. Hit the first Browse button, select your file (wherever it's located on your computer), then hit the Upload button. Then close the Manage Attachments window by clicking Close This Window at the bottom of the screen. You can now preview your post and you should see the selected file attached for access by all. Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-14, 08:33 AM
harryra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sambb
Im the OP, and I still can't figure out, how in the USA, that the engine wouldn't be enough for someone. If someone is a speed addict, still, the car seems capable of going beyond any safe limit for the USA.

I owned bimmers before, including M series, and those cars handle realy well, but the engines also were far too much than any person would ever need. I had an M and it was enough.

Is there some sort of driving that I am missing here, such that people require even more speed? I don't see that need on any road i drive on , and I drive a lot.

I bought the car because it is realy kewl, it is different from a BMW, and it has luxury, sport, looks, etc. I don't need tork or more hp or a different granny tranny, ya know?
Personally I agree that the engine in the GS is plenty for this vehicle. Could it be more and then garner better accolades....absolutely....But....I think Lexus reasoned that this engine is good enough for 90% or more of the buying public who would consider owning this vehicle. So far for me its been a really nice vehicle, fun to drive, and wonderful fit and finish. You know, Lexus is still a very young brand when compared to other auto companies, and I'm sure they are still feeling their way. They've had a few mishaps, like the SC, but they are a strong company and will certainly be in this industry for a very long time....
Old 06-22-14, 08:52 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota's been making cars since 1936. Toyota is the auto company behind the Lexus brand. You may wish to read Dawson's Lexus:The Relentless Pursuit to learn how the Lexus brand was developed within Toyota. Amazon link is
here here
Old 06-22-14, 09:17 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I don't think you and I have ever agreed on anything before, but we do here LOL.

The issue is that the MPG of an MB S or C class is not comparable to the MPG of a Lexus GS because they are not comparable vehicles. The S Class is larger and more expensive, and compares with the LS (if even..), and the C Class is smaller and cheaper and compares with the IS and ES (to a lesser extent). If you want to compare the GS is an MB...compare it to its competitor, the E Class.
The German cars were brought into the discussion to make a point about the advantages of modern turbocharged engines. The fact that the S class is a bigger car actually makes the point even more so.
Old 06-22-14, 09:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jjscsix
The German cars were brought into the discussion to make a point about the advantages of modern turbocharged engines. The fact that the S class is a bigger car actually makes the point even more so.
This I agree with 100%, we will see turbocharged engines in the Lexus lineup, theres no question. Manufacturers wouldn't be using turbocharging vs displacement if there weren't a MPG gain, thats the whole point.

The issue is direct comparisons that the poster who was the target of my reponse has made, you haven't.
Old 06-22-14, 09:55 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Manufacturers wouldn't be using turbocharging vs displacement if there weren't a MPG gain, thats the whole point.
I dispute this. Manufacturers are using turbos to meet emission and fuel efficiency standards as per a well-defined test methodology. Turbos help to meet those standards WITHIN that testing regime. OUTSIDE the regime, in the real world for example, turbos produce VERY disappointing mileage numbers for the people that ACTUALLY use them. What I see on the horizon is a new turbo that restricts acceleration by careful control of the boost curve. Such "de-tuned" turbos could well meet BOTH government standards as well as real-world mileage expectations. The cost, of course, would be borne by those forced to purchase cars with underperforming engines compared to what is currently available in both NA and turbo flavors.
Old 06-22-14, 10:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I dispute this. Manufacturers are using turbos to meet emission and fuel efficiency standards as per a well-defined test methodology. Turbos help to meet those standards WITHIN that testing regime. OUTSIDE the regime, in the real world for example, turbos produce VERY disappointing mileage numbers for the people that ACTUALLY use them.
But you just made my point. Manufacturers are using turbos to meet fuel efficiency standards by the only measure they care about...what measure qualifies them under CAFE.

I will dispute the idea of "VERY disappointing mileage numbers" in the real world. I know a lot of people with tubocharged BMWs and the like, and I do not know one person who is disappointed in the slightest with their MPG. In fact, the ones I know are elated, and their engines have better performance and better economy than the NA engines I have in my cars.
Old 06-22-14, 10:09 AM
harryra
Rookie

Toyota's been making cars since 1936. Toyota is the auto company behind the Lexus brand. You may wish to read Dawson's Lexus:The Relentless Pursuit to learn how the Lexus brand was developed within Toyota. Amazon link is here.
Do you know anything about reading comprehension??? I said Lexus brand, not Toyota company. Do you know the difference between "Brand" and "Company"? I think not....
Old 06-22-14, 10:11 AM
harryra
Rookie

I dispute this. Manufacturers are using turbos to meet emission and fuel efficiency standards as per a well-defined test methodology. Turbos help to meet those standards WITHIN that testing regime. OUTSIDE the regime, in the real world for example, turbos produce VERY disappointing mileage numbers for the people that ACTUALLY use them. What I see on the horizon is a new turbo that restricts acceleration by careful control of the boost curve. Such "de-tuned" turbos could well meet BOTH government standards as well as real-world mileage expectations. The cost, of course, would be borne by those forced to purchase cars with underperforming engines compared to what is currently available in both NA and turbo flavors.
What is the basis for your dispute?
Old 06-22-14, 10:19 AM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 3.5 pdf

Toyota 2GR-FSE GDI PFI engine paper-2.pdf Let's see if this works
Old 06-22-14, 10:20 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Do you know anything about reading comprehension??? I said Lexus brand, not Toyota company. Do you know the difference between "Brand" and "Company"? I think not....
Actually, you said the following:

...Lexus is still a very young brand when compared to other auto companies...
So just who is comparing "brands" to "companies?"
Old 06-22-14, 10:22 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Let's see if this works
Worked like a charm! Thanks for the info.
Old 06-22-14, 10:25 AM
harryra
Rookie

Attachment 333511 Let's see if this works
Thanks for the info....
Old 06-22-14, 10:30 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

I know a lot of people with tubocharged BMWs and the like, and I do not know one person who is disappointed in the slightest with their MPG.
Here's one - ME! The N54 in my Z4 puts up some terrible mileage numbers. Of course, the car is almost always under either significant acceleration or deceleration. That might have something to do with the frequent fill-ups...

Quick Reply: learning about the engine in GS