GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

learning about the engine in GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-14, 11:30 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksun

I agree w/ everything you wrote except for the "de-contenting". Maybe we have different visions on what de-contenting looks like.
Since miracles don't always arrive in time of need, I'll assume what we have now is what we will have to work with. Therefore laws of physics apply to achieving higher fuel efficiency whereas just laws apply to its necessity. So, weight has got to go to bring engine load down. Period.

So where's the weight going to come from? Engines are already all-aluminum as are many structural components. So we're all going to run-flat tires (no spare or jacking equipment needed). And then? Well, do we really need all that room or can we skinny down the wheelbase, track, and height just a smidgeon? And do we really need all that soundproofing, heavy-weight carpeting, and premium (read heavy) interior trim panels? And what about those multi-function, heated/cooled seats that adjust in every way possible and give you a massage while you're at it? Surely the complex, power-hungry maze of motors, gearing, and wiring can be reduced with only minor carping from customers. And that AC system that would instantly cool a small apartment? Why, with just a little tweaking, it can be lightened and put on a mechanical and electrical diet at the small cost of working just a bit slower and a bit stinkier and a bit less comfortably for occupants (along the lines of how ECO mode (lightly) cripples AC already). Apply the principle across EVERY system in the car, and I think you'll see what I mean by de-contenting. The car of our future is already all over the roads of Europe. Its a 4-door hatchback with small displacement engine, very few creature comforts, and is noisy, bumpy, cramped, and thoroughly unpleasant to drive or ride in compared with the vehicles Americans are used to. This is gonna be a blast to watch...

Last edited by williakz; 06-20-14 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-20-14, 12:42 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
My understanding is that fuel economy numbers are generated by testing regimes using artificially low acceleration rates. As you point out, small-displacement turbos are gas-sippers when you're not into the pedal, so they post pretty impressive mileage numbers. Then, you get the thing home and drive normally (merging onto freeways, keeping up with traffic from stoplights, and going up hills) where you need fair amounts of acceleration. The turbo spins up and the fuel begin to gush. As I said, LOTS of folks are unpleasantly surprised by the average gas mileage numbers their little 2-liter turbo puts up in everyday use. We'll be dealing with this in short order as all the manufacturers try whatever they can to comply with the draconian CAFE standards. Eventually, once all the easy (non)fixes, like turbos, are done, they'll start dropping weight and engine loads by de-contenting. Can't wait...
Yes I agree 100%. The EPA MPG sticker is the absolute best case scenario under ideal conditions. There was a lawsuit a while back for them to post more realistic estimates.
Old 06-20-14, 01:49 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

You might want to check out some Hyundai owners' gas mileage experiences with their direct injection 2.0T turboed 4-cyl engine (276hp) found in Sonata, Santa Fe Sport, etc. Small turbos post great mileage when run at low rpm (no/low boost gas-sipping 4-cyl), but they are HOGS at speed and when given normal acceleration inputs (high boost gas-guzzling MONSTER). The cratering in fuel efficiency shocks and dismays MANY small turbo owners as you'll see on the Hyundai forums. Watch out what you wish for...
I have a twin turbo, 400 hp BMW 550. Four times I have averaged 27.4 mpg on extended trips (one 2500 mile vacation with probably 150 miles of city streets.
Old 06-20-14, 01:53 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by praetor
Yes I agree 100%. The EPA MPG sticker is the absolute best case scenario under ideal conditions. There was a lawsuit a while back for them to post more realistic estimates.
I don't even begin to agree with that. I have always gotten well above EPA ratings. It's all about how you drive (and I don't drive slow either). The BMW I referenced in my post above is rated at 23 on the highway.
Old 06-20-14, 03:15 PM
harryra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
Name one of these cars. Every single car I know that boosts will suffer dramatic gas mileage drops when you are boosting. That's what boosting does. Even a normally aspirated car, if you are driving it hard all the time, you won't be seeing good gas mileage.

My last car ranged from 12MPG to 25MPG depending on how hard I drive and if it's city or highway cruising.
S550 twin turbo engine and C250 4 cylinder engine to name two....AND....better than sticker average now that engines are broken in. 30-31mpg on S550 why and 34-35mpg on C250 highway both driven in S mode.
Old 06-20-14, 04:12 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I have a twin turbo, 400 hp BMW 550. Four times I have averaged 27.4 mpg on extended trips (one 2500 mile vacation with probably 150 miles of city streets.
Published specs:
Fuel economy: Gasoline 15 MPG city, 22 MPG highway, 17 MPG combined and 314 mi. range.

You must've got one of the cars that overperforms the class in every respect. Kinda like Steve and his GS and Harry and his S550.
Old 06-20-14, 04:27 PM
harryra
Rookie

Published specs:
Fuel economy: Gasoline 15 MPG city, 22 MPG highway, 17 MPG combined and 314 mi. range.

You must've got one of the cars that overperforms the class in every respect. Kinda like Steve and his GS and Harry and his S550.
Yep....and we make no excuses for the performance of our European cars.
Old 06-20-14, 04:30 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by harryra
Yep....and we make no excuses for the performance of our European cars.
Who knew? Here we are buying all this gas-guzzling scrap from Japan, and the Germans had it figured out all the time. All you need do is pony up a few extra dollars and you get 400hp turboed V8s that get 30mpg. DOH!
Old 06-20-14, 04:35 PM
harryra
Rookie

Who knew? Here we are buying all this gas-guzzling scrap from Japan, and the Germans had it figured out all the time. All you need do is pony up a few extra dollars and you get 400hp turboed V8s that get 30mpg. DOH!
Why you doubt the stats is beyond me. The 30mpg is on the hwy at 70-75mph set on S setting. In town I'm lucky if I get 15-17 and combo is around 21-22mpg. As for the Japanese they build a great car but innovate virtually nothing. They have always been the best at copying what comes out of Europe and America. If its on an MB or BMW this year it will be on the Lexus in the next year or two. That's what they do best and they usually do it better than the original.
Old 06-20-14, 06:06 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Published specs:

First of all, it is 23 on the highway, but changed to 25 in 2013. Not urban legend either. Others on the forum have reported similar highway mileage. I have actually seen 31 when resetting it while cruising at about 70-75 mph over 40 miles.
Old 06-20-14, 06:08 PM
jjscsix
Racer

The best part is that it will leave a GS for dead. And the 2014 has 445 hp with the same highway rating. My friends 520 hp S8 is rated at 26 on the highway.
Old 06-20-14, 06:09 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by harryra
Why you doubt the stats is beyond me. The 30mpg is on the hwy at 70-75mph set on S setting. In town I'm lucky if I get 15-17 and combo is around 21-22mpg. As for the Japanese they build a great car but innovate virtually nothing. They have always been the best at copying what comes out of Europe and America. If its on an MB or BMW this year it will be on the Lexus in the next year or two. That's what they do best and they usually do it better than the original.
Ah, so NOT mpg in the 30's but rather mpg in the 20's. Back to earth we go. So when are we going to see those copycat Japanese kick our mpgs from 19 all the way to 21-22mpg? A year or two, you say? I can wait for that.
Old 06-20-14, 10:27 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

My guess
engine isn't going to change, feels like toyota has just shelved their v6/v8 engine design and is comfortable to let it go stagnant.
Instead it seems they are throwing in their chips to cash in on hybrid and atkinson cycle-which you must admit is their cash cow with all the hybrids driving around.

So gs470h maybe; and the NA lexuses will get some lame crap like seat massagers and an upgraded technology system..
Old 06-20-14, 11:18 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I'm sure I can get 27-30 MPG in a highway. 30+? I doubt it, at least not here in SoCal's bad traffic. City will stay at 20-22 MPG. I drive normal, I don't drive for max MPG, I floor it when I need to and downshift often.

With that said, I like this engine, it moves from a dig. Yea the 8-speed has a mind of its own sometimes, but I got used to it now and I paddle shift my way to get the power I need.
Old 06-21-14, 04:09 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Ah, so NOT mpg in the 30's but rather mpg in the 20's. Back to earth we go. So when are we going to see those copycat Japanese kick our mpgs from 19 all the way to 21-22mpg? A year or two, you say? I can wait for that.
You are making a real azz of yourself. He said the first time that the 30s was highway driving. You have basically called he and I liars. Would you be willing on betting me $5,000 that over 50 miles of 70-75 mph highway driving that I can't average over 28 in my 550 BMW? I've done it many times, so it's an easy bet for me.

Quick Reply: learning about the engine in GS