CL Vendor Products for 4GS New product details, group buys and more, specifically for 4GS models from CL Vendors

Did you know about the Carista app?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-16, 01:48 PM
Lakersfan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems most of the customization settings are already available on the 15 gs fsport. Do older models not come with these options?
Old 01-20-16, 03:04 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a GS350 so this will work great for me. I also have a 2008 GX470 and it looks like your app only supports customization back to 2010 GX460. Are there plans to support the 2008 (I believe 2003-2009) models of the GX470? There are quire a GX SUV's on the road in that year range.
Old 01-22-16, 04:39 AM
organa7
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased the Carista app and it worked great. The one setting that I had wanted to change that was listed in the manual and did not see is changing the number of blinks for the partial press of the turn signal.
Is or will this be available?
Or is this a misprint in the manual?
Has anybody been able to get this changed either with the app or by the dealer?
Old 01-22-16, 06:19 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I was able to use Carista to change the turn signal from 3 to 5 on my '15 GS.
Old 01-22-16, 08:41 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I was able to use Carista to change the turn signal from 3 to 5 on my '15 GS.
You don't need the Carista to change the number of lane change turn signal flashes. That change can be made by the owner without the dealer involvement or the aid of supplemental equipment.
Old 01-22-16, 08:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bclexus
You don't need the Carista to change the number of lane change turn signal flashes. That change can be made by the owner without the dealer involvement or the aid of supplemental equipment.
This is true, but I find it quicker and easier to use Carista than to use the alternative procedure.

The real point of my post, however, was to simply answer the previous poster's question if anyone had been successful in using the app to change the setting, which I have.
Old 01-25-16, 11:29 AM
organa7
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the location of the blinker setting? I did not see it in Carista, or under the car settings. I have a 2013 so I am wondering if it is something that changed with the later models.
Old 01-25-16, 12:04 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by organa7
Where is the location of the blinker setting? I did not see it in Carista, or under the car settings. I have a 2013 so I am wondering if it is something that changed with the later models.
Yea, I don't see it either.
Old 01-25-16, 12:58 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by organa7
Originally Posted by Davenlei
Yea, I don't see it either.
I think 7 flashes is way too many in my opinion. 5 flashes would be the absolute most I could handle, but I much prefer the Standard/Default 3 flashes. I'd say that most every time (95% probably) that I elect to change lanes I can get it done right away without having to wait for traffic to clear or for someone to let me in front of them - so 3 flashes are plenty for me. And, if the traffic is really heavy I will just use the permanent flasher (like making a turn) and manually turn it off once I can finally change lanes. It shouldn't take but a few seconds to signal and change lanes most of the time...unless you drive like an old lady and it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to maneuver the motorized buggy. Anything more would be too many flashes unless traffic was really bad...and then you might as well just put on the flasher permanently until someone lets you in front of them. I personally would make a change down to 2 flashes before I'd choose to increase the number of flashes to more than 3 flashes...but that's me.

If you feel the need to make a change in the number of times the lane change turn signal flashes (from the default of 3 flashes) to 5 or 7 flashes you can do it with the following instructions:

1. Start with the car completely off
2. Use the rotary **** on the wiper control to set how many blinks you want. This **** has four positions:
- 1st (bottom) position = 3 blinks
- 2nd position = 5 blinks
- 3rd position = 7 blinks
- 4th (top) position = no automatic blinks
3. Hold the wiper lever in the all-the-way-up position, and keep holding it there
4. With foot OFF brake pedal, press the start button twice so the gauges light up (keep holding that wiper lever up!)
5. Continue to hold the wiper lever all the way up for 5 seconds or more (if you go too fast you will have to start all over!)
6. Let the wiper lever come down one position and hold it there for 5+ seconds (don't let it go back to the middle, just let it come down one position)
7. Hold with wiper lever all the way up again for another 5+ seconds
8. Let with wiper lever come down one position again, and hold it for 5+ seconds
9. Let go of the wiper lever. The right turn signal should flash once. If it doesn't, turn the car off and start again at step 1.
10. Briefly move the turn signal lever down 1 position and let go of it again.

The left turn signal should flash to confirm your setting, but not in the way you might expect. It will blink 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to match where you set the rotary **** on the wiper control, so:

If the turn signal blinks 1 time = you changed it for 3 blinks
If the turn signal blinks 2 times = you changed it for 5 blinks
If the turn signal blinks 3 flashes = you changed it for 7 blinks
If the turn signal blinks 4 flashes = you changed it for no auto blinks

Once you have set it to the number of lane change flashes you desire - cycle the ignition Off and then back On, and the setting should be saved.

It takes me at least 5 flashes to change lanes.

Last edited by bclexus; 01-25-16 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 03:16 PM
puffdaddy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did the above and it was too long at 5, I can't imagine wanting 7.
When I had it at 5, I noticed cars wanting to pull out after seeing my signal and thinking I was turning (I was just changing lanes). I changed it back the next day.
We always want something different (mod syndrome), but it's not always better, IMHO

Last edited by puffdaddy; 01-26-16 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-25-16, 03:36 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

I was actually wanting to change it to two flashes but it looks like that is not an option.
Old 01-25-16, 07:15 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by puffdaddy
I did the above and it was too long at 5, I can't imagine wanting 7.
When I had it at 5, I noticed cars waiting to pull out after seeing my signal and thinking I was turning (I was just changing lanes). I changed it back the next day.

We always want something different (mod syndrome), but it's not always better, IMHO
Yep, I totally agree on 3 flashes being better than 5 flashes...or heaven forbid 7 flashes.
Old 01-26-16, 07:47 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Guys, I must apologize. I looked at Carista in my GS again this morning and the option to modify the number of flashes was not in there, so I must have been thinking of my IS.

Originally Posted by bclexus
Yep, I totally agree on 3 flashes being better than 5 flashes...or heaven forbid 7 flashes.
I recently used Carista to change the settings in my dad's '16 Tacoma. That gave the choice for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 flashes. We set his to 4 (3 was the default). I liked that because I feel that 3 can be too few but 5 is too many.
Old 01-26-16, 05:24 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

You are correct, I don't see it on my 2013 GS either, but I do see it on my 2015 Sienna.
Old 05-01-16, 03:15 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thumbs Up

i used Carista to program a few things on my Audi Q5 and retract rear EPB.
Thumbs up, though the UI could use a little more work.
My Lex is too old to have it be useful for anything but OBD II codes.

Quick Reply: Did you know about the Carista app?