GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus GS 4th gen with 8 inch screen (USA and Worldwide)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-14, 06:05 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I believe Pioneer. Don't quote me though.
It is Pioneer and Denso, Flip mentioned it in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ium-audio.html

It's pretty good, I was watching a movie and I can feel the rumble.
Old 01-18-16, 11:30 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably a stupid question, but gonna shoot it out there anyway:
I have 2013 8 inch screen, compass button - is there any way to get NAV/GPS on it (dealer software or update)?

Or is it not possible?
Old 01-18-16, 12:23 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by az-dave
Probably a stupid question, but gonna shoot it out there anyway:
I have 2013 8 inch screen, compass button - is there any way to get NAV/GPS on it (dealer software or update)?

Or is it not possible?
Your car is definitely rare. But quick answer is probably not. I'm guessing that your car isn't wired with the GPS antenna, and other hardware stuff required for GPS (hard drive/SD card reader for maps). There also isn't a GPS option for the 8" screen in the GS (in the US), so they would probably have to use stuff from the ES. Dealer probably wouldn't want to use parts for a different model because warranty for job would get messy. It would probably be very very expensive for a dealer to wire everything up for you too.

Just spend money on a nice phone mount for your car, or see if you can buy a bypass system that also allows mirroring from your phone. Look at Vaistech.
Old 01-18-16, 02:08 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

I was reading that my setup is rare, which is surprising to me.

The odd thing is that when I turn the compass screen on there is a GPS button on the left middle of the screen but its dimmed out and cant be selected...so to me it means there is "something" there, but its not set up for it (I think my 2013 is one of the early builds from 2012).

I will look at the Vaistech thing, never heard before. I use my phone for directions and GPS all the time when on biz trips, so thats why I didnt care about NAV option on the GS 350...I just didnt realize not having NAV also meant not having other options, such as 12.3 in screen and all the Apps.

Thanks for the heads up :-) I will chime back in as I learn more.
Old 01-18-16, 02:28 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

I'd say your 4GS is extremely rare, but not necessarily in a good way.

I don't recall anyone ever mentioning that they did not have a navigation system and only an 8" screen. I'd guess your car is probably one of only a few hundred made without the navigation system.
Old 01-19-16, 12:34 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Thats what Im beginning to realize also - Rare, but not a "good" kind of rare :-(...when bought the car was told had NAV but needed updated maps...I dont use NAV even on my last 3 vehicles, so to be honest (and this is my bad) I didnt even check...I saw the "GPS" button on the compass screen and figured it simply needed a DVD (like GM and Cadi). And I was really busy enjoying the massive power increase from this GS compared to my still-going 98 GS 300 (275K miles - I need to update my sig)

Now..I am wondering...do I really not have NAV, or is it simply not activated or installed?? And how would I tell? I would go to dealer, but 2 dealers also told me there was "No Way to remove the 'Connected' messages from the top part of the scree covering up the Backup camera - which is untrue - they just dont even know their own menu system to turn messages off...

How did I end up so lucky? haha
Old 01-19-16, 12:40 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Can Anyone Please Post an Image of a 8in screen with Nav? So I can compare?
Old 01-19-16, 01:08 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by az-dave
Can Anyone Please Post an Image of a 8in screen with Nav? So I can compare?

Click > HERE for a bit of information on an 8" screen with NAV in a GS 350 in Hong Kong.

Old 01-20-16, 09:17 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

thank you...

So my screen is full color, but my menu is really ugly blocky buttons, but I have uploaded custom start-screen images of full color 1000x700 pictures and they display really good (in other words, the screen is full color)

I wonder if this is more of a software thing??

Here is a link to what my screen looks like (I will post a pic of mine when I drive car next, and show the "GPS" dimmed out unselectable menu button) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post8582703 - second image down.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus GS 4th gen with 8 inch screen (USA and Worldwide)-8-inch-screen-1.jpg  
Old 01-20-16, 09:19 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

The funny thing is...I cant find any search results at all for a Non-Nav 2013 GS 350...like you posted, even 8in screens have NAV.
Am I the lucky "one and only" person in the USA without it? haha...again, maybe this is a software thing.

Old 01-20-16, 10:40 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

It's so rare that no one knows!

If it were mine I would call your local Lexus dealership and ask if they have a 'Technology Expert'. If so, give them your VIN number and ask the expert your questions.
Old 01-20-16, 11:01 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I work at a large dealership and ive seen just about everything. seems like the GS has the most of the rare/werid/strange options of the bunch. ive seen a few base models with the 8" screen with no navi, hell ive even seen a GS450h like that! (very very very rare) we seem to get a lot of the weird stuff. its pretty cool actually! we had a 2014 GS base model, 8" screen, no sunroof and cloth seats once! and ive seen multiple older LS models like that, as well as a 2014 RX with cloth and a sunroof delete.. total freak of a car. I like seeing the weird obscurities, oh, and rare? how bout a 2011 GS460.. yep, we had one.
Old 01-21-16, 08:36 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
It's so rare that no one knows!

If it were mine I would call your local Lexus dealership and ask if they have a 'Technology Expert'. If so, give them your VIN number and ask the expert your questions.
I might just have to fold and talk to the dealer. (the same ones who told me there was no ay to remove the "connected" messages blocking 25% of the backup camera view) Now, just so everyone is clear - my screen in the 8", and can display FULL COLOR images (actually pretty good quality too), but it has the blocky blue and purple button menu system (pretty ugly) not the nicer icon-style menu.

To me, the fact that other 8in screen have Nav, and this screen can display 1000x700 full color, tells me the screen at least could display the 8" nav software and menus...

The question is: Can that software be loaded on My computer?

Im going out on a limb here and Im betting the entire NAV system is unrelated to the screen itself these days? Or, does the screen contain the NAV computer?

Heck, it might be worth it to pay $$$ to load the NAV if its just a software thing???

Anyone know?
Old 01-22-16, 09:50 PM
CBRA928
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread is really interesting, I just saw one of these non nav GS yesterday which blew me away. Figured it was from Canada or something.
Old 01-25-16, 09:19 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Its getting even more interesting...I decided to take some time saturday and go through the entire screen menus, options etc...and took some pics.

First, is that my Car has GPS, shows me my correct Long/Lat, and has the unselectable GPS button on the compass screen.

Secondly, my "Software" menu shows NAV: V6613550 - But "Map Update Software" is blank "-"

So...does this mean mine is actually a NAV system with no maps installed???

Lastly...when I click "Update Software" after a few seconds the screen pops up that it cant install software, check disk or USB Flash drive...

anyone know more about this?
Attached Thumbnails Lexus GS 4th gen with 8 inch screen (USA and Worldwide)-software-nav-versions.jpg   Lexus GS 4th gen with 8 inch screen (USA and Worldwide)-cant-update-software.jpg   Lexus GS 4th gen with 8 inch screen (USA and Worldwide)-cant-select-gps-blurred.jpg  

Last edited by az-dave; 01-26-16 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS 4th gen with 8 inch screen (USA and Worldwide)