Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AC is allways on.

Projection is very casual.
Old 06-14-14, 10:33 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

We both have the same car so I dont know why you have that smell. You must be doing something wrong.
Old 06-14-14, 10:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Its all about climate, use, and environment. If water is getting in there, or has gotten in there the damage is done. If he's using recirculate all the time or a lot that keeps moist air traveling through the system all the time and makes it worse.

If he would heed our advice and clean the system out following the steps in the videos I posted it would probably never happen again...but he doesn't want to solve the issue he just wants to be pissed off.
Old 06-14-14, 10:59 AM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would inspect the filter and make sure it actually has been changed and installed properly. Don't assume anything, especially when you're having air quality issues.
Old 06-14-14, 04:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would replace the filter upon doing the duct cleaning.
Old 06-15-14, 05:12 AM
Neogenic
Driver

As I said car is under warrenty. Nothing in manual says I have been doing something wrong! Dishonesty might be at ply here. I have paid for filter exchange. I am now going to learn how to check the system by myself before and after maintanence,
Old 06-15-14, 06:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you take it to the dealer they will do a duct induction cleaning under warranty I'm sure, but they probably won't replace the filter, I'd pay to do that anyways.

Once thats done though you should listen to what we're saying. Don't use recirculate all the time, turn the system off when its in a carwash or something so it doesn't suck high pressure water into the system. My guess is you won't have any more problems.

Dishonesty? How? Go in there accusing people of crazy stuff and you won't get anywhere. Nobody's being dishonest you just got some moisture in your HVAC system.
Old 06-16-14, 07:56 AM
Needsdecaf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, it's an issue with the car, not JUST the climate

I have two vehicles, both parked in the same garage, both subject to the same weather, and both driven about the same.

My one car has almost 14k miles and has never had this issue. My Lexus, with just under 4,000 miles, already has the issue. Something is up with the design of the HVAC of this car. I honestly think that it keeps defaulting to recirc on every hot startup. Is there a way to disable this?
Old 06-16-14, 04:28 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I always have mine set to auto and it stays parked on recirc all the time. I've tried changing the smog settings but I don't think it ever goes to fresh air unless I do it manually.
Old 06-16-14, 05:23 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Discussion here on AC problems with 2103 LS460 with input from owners of other model years, both older and newer. Note also there are discussions underway in RX, GX, and ES forums on this issue. Lexus recently changed the HVAC from fresh-air biased to recirc-biased in order to improve fuel efficiency/lower emissions. These problems are the result, and they will only get worse as we move into summer.
Old 06-16-14, 09:11 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've owned about 15 vehicles during my driving life and I've never experienced the moldy/musty smell until I bought a '13 Toyota Avalon Limited. The solution was to run the climate control with outside air and not the default mode of recirc, which required driver input each time you started the car.

I sold that car because of the rough ride and bought a '14 RX350. It seems to default to the outside air, unless it is hot.

Ironically, my wife's Jag defaults to outside air and if you select recirc the ventilation goes on a timer for 10 minutes and then reverts to outside air.

Seems like Lexus and Toyota are using the same system now, although I haven't had the problem in my RX.
Old 06-17-14, 05:28 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I wonder if the Carista folks could look at this?
Old 06-17-14, 10:23 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I have my climate control set to Auto and also have the circ/recirc set to Auto. It seems that the recirc button is always illuminated and circ is never illuminated. When on Auto, shouldn't the circ button illuminate and recirc button go off at some point while you are driving?
Old 06-17-14, 10:44 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tompass
I have my climate control set to Auto and also have the circ/recirc set to Auto. It seems that the recirc button is always illuminated and circ is never illuminated. When on Auto, shouldn't the circ button illuminate and recirc button go off at some point while you are driving?
Mine works the same way.....I never see the Circ button illuminated. I just thought that was due to the heat and humidity in Texas. It's much more effective in Recirc.
Old 06-17-14, 11:05 AM
armanitran
Lead Lap

I think it's from all the wet pu$$y from you driving a 4th Gen. Moist Air.. moist air

Quick Reply: Moist smell in AC