GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Heads up display question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-14, 07:56 AM
BRJACKET
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads up display question

How many of you have the heads up display and how do you like it? I am being told by the dealer that very few GS350's are being made with this feature. I like the idea and wonder why it is not more popular.
Old 05-30-14, 08:08 AM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Got it, but mine is the GS450h. I lioke the HUD. It keep me better aware of my speed And with the cops looking to earn more taxes for the State, its a good thing
Old 05-30-14, 08:10 AM
keiki
Driver School Candidate

I have it and actually like it. It makes me more aware of how fast i'm driving without looking down at the gauges. But it does wash out a bit when it's bright outside.
Old 05-30-14, 08:45 AM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

I have it and like it. It took a few months to get used to it. It took a while to get in the habit of looking there instead of at the dashboard, and it also took a while to get used to the very slight double-image it produces. Aside from being a safer way of keeping an eye on your speed and following the navigation directions, it's also just a neat feature and if you're spending $60k-ish on a car, why not have a few things where you go "hey, that's neat!"

It's probably easier to get in Canada as it's included in several of the package options for the GS, rather than making it available as a separate option. Ironically, our reduced level of choice here seems to make it actually easier to get some of the features you can buy as separate options in the USA.
Old 05-30-14, 09:34 AM
5thavenue
Rookie

I didn't like the price of $900 and I didn't like that I couldn't try it out before I bought it. The MSRP on my vehicle was over $61,000 so I definitely don't mind adding on options, but I don't want to drop nearly a grand on something I've never tried before or really see too much value in.

I would probably only ever use it to see my speed which to me would maybe be worth $100 - $200 if I liked it.
In my mind I don't like the thought of the display sitting in my frontward view but I'd like to try it out first to see if I'd actually like it or not.
Old 05-30-14, 09:44 AM
BRJACKET
Driver School Candidate

I currently have an LS460 (2007) and am looking at getting a 2013 GS350. I have seen one that has a red display for the HUD. I have read that 2014 has all color. What does that mean? Are there different colors for different parts of information?
Old 05-30-14, 10:55 AM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the 2014 HUD is a full colour display, but I don't feel like Lexus really used it to its full potential. That may be a good thing otherwise it could get quite distracting.

Most of the elements of the display are white, with blue used for things like the economy gauge and the arrows that come up for navigation instructions. I think the tachometer display has the above-redline portion displayed in red. Not a whole lot else shows up in other colours, that I can remember. Except for the startup animation that shows a kind of expanding blue splash screen sort of thing (making it clear this could be a whole lot fancier if they wanted).

I can try to take some pictures of mine in the different modes if you're really curious (though I think it doesn't photograph all that well).
Old 05-30-14, 11:32 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by FishBike
Yes, the 2014 HUD is a full colour display, but I don't feel like Lexus really used it to its full potential. That may be a good thing otherwise it could get quite distracting. Most of the elements of the display are white, with blue used for things like the economy gauge and the arrows that come up for navigation instructions. I think the tachometer display has the above-redline portion displayed in red. Not a whole lot else shows up in other colours, that I can remember. Except for the startup animation that shows a kind of expanding blue splash screen sort of thing (making it clear this could be a whole lot fancier if they wanted). I can try to take some pictures of mine in the different modes if you're really curious (though I think it doesn't photograph all that well).
THIS. I think the same thing with the display in the middle of the tach. There's not a lot of use of color.
Old 05-30-14, 05:25 PM
wangster79
Rookie

I personally think it's more of a cool factor than necessity. I had a loaner car with HUD and although I thought it was cool, didn't really do much to justify the price.
Old 05-30-14, 07:09 PM
BRJACKET
Driver School Candidate

I think it would be handy to show the speed you are going and also the speed limit. I would like to have that in a place that I could just glance at. An inexpensive garmin will show the speed limit for your current location. It seems like lexus could do that as well.
Old 05-30-14, 08:54 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I use it consistently to show speed. It is much easier than looking at the speedometer. Now that I have it, I don't know what I'd do without it. I have a '13 model, so mine is all white. I can only imagine how great the color HUD displays look in the '14 models.
Old 06-01-14, 06:46 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's not a must have, like it wouldn't be a deal-breaker on my next car, but I love it. Only problem is it could be brighter. When you're driving into the sun on a shiny asphalt road near sunset, the display can wash out. I guess it's the nature of the beast.

Anyway, with the nav directions, RPM and speed all floating mid-air in front of your eyes is a useful thing to have. It would be cool if you could modify what it displayed but oh well.
Old 06-02-14, 07:18 PM
randuff
Driver School Candidate

It also washes out if you wear polarized sunglasses
Old 06-02-14, 07:27 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I use it consistently to show speed. It is much easier than looking at the speedometer. Now that I have it, I don't know what I'd do without it. I have a '13 model, so mine is all white. I can only imagine how great the color HUD displays look in the '14 models.
not much different tbh
only thing that i really noticed was the rev meter its too small to be noticed in colour
Old 06-03-14, 06:28 PM
Vulaj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have it and it is amazing..I wouldn't drive a car without it now!!!

Quick Reply: Heads up display question