Sirius XM Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-14, 01:54 PM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Sirius XM Traffic

Just read this on lexus site:

Note that Lexus no longer supports SiriusXM Data Services (including NavTraffic™, NavWeather™ and Travel Link) on new models launched in and after 2013.

Seems that paying for SIrius XM Nav Traffic would be a waste of money?

FAQS also suggest that you can limit data source to HD radio to avoid data charges on your phone when accessing traffic and weather. Does anyone know how to make that change?

Last edited by tompass; 05-18-14 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-18-14, 02:28 PM
mdhaliwal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tompass
Just read this on lexus site:

Note that Lexus no longer supports SiriusXM Data Services (including NavTraffic™, NavWeather™ and Travel Link) on new models launched in and after 2013.

Seems that paying for SIrius XM Nav Traffic would be a waste of money?

FAQS also suggest that you can limit data source to HD radio to avoid data charges on your phone when accessing traffic and weather. Does anyone know how to make that change?
That's interesting. Does this require some kind of software upgrade? I have my phone hooked up to the car and get no weather or traffic information, from my phone or the HD radio. I get a message saying this feature requires an active XM membership.
Old 05-18-14, 02:31 PM
tompass
Intermediate

Don't know. Hoping someone can clarify. I do have a Sirius XM Traffic subscription and when I highlight and engage the "traffic or weather " icon, I do get the info.
Old 05-18-14, 02:53 PM
tompass
Intermediate

The Traffic application, available for free on your vehicle navigation system without the need for a subscription, gives you up-to-date Traffic flow information. Data on incidents is also displayed on the map, with the option to drill down for details. You need to be within HD Data coverage, or have an App Suite-enabled phone paired with your vehicle.

The Weather application, available for free on your vehicle navigation system without the need for a subscription, gives you up-to-date multi-day local Weather Forecast information, as well as forecasts for a pre-defined list of national and local cities. You can also get information on Weather Doppler radars near your location. You need to be within HD Data coverage, or have an App Suite-enabled phone paired with your vehicle.

No, you do not need a subscription to receive Traffic and Weather services within HD Data coverage areas. If you choose to pair your smartphone, your App Suite subscription and data plan will allow you to access these services outside of HD coverage areas, and cellular charges will apply.
Old 05-18-14, 03:20 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HD traffic/weather currently only on the new GEN 8 system on the 2014 IS/CT/GX...and soon to be 2015 IS/NX/RC
Old 05-18-14, 03:27 PM
tompass
Intermediate

So then the "faqs" on lexusdrivers site do not apply. I also searched for way to limit access to weather and traffic to HD radio to eliminate phone data usage but can not find the setting.
Old 05-18-14, 03:52 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tompass
So then the "faqs" on lexusdrivers site do not apply. I also searched for way to limit access to weather and traffic to HD radio to eliminate phone data usage but can not find the setting.
yep, its not on the GS...not till the 2015 or 2016 model

traffic and weather are still SiriusXM based on the 2013 models...and most 2014's too except the ones I mentioned above
Old 05-20-14, 07:56 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any chance Lexus would provide firmware upgrade for '13 GS owners to get the HD based traffic/wx? It shouldn't be that big a deal...it's not like it's a vehicle safety software.
Old 05-20-14, 10:15 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I wouldn't count on it. It ticks me off that my 2 year old iPhone5 gets an updated operating system every year for free, but Lexus won't ever update the nav's OS. Sure they update the maps every year, for $,but the OS will never get functionally any better than it is today.
Old 05-23-14, 04:26 PM
MarkR10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tsopranoMB
yep, its not on the GS...not till the 2015 or 2016 model

traffic and weather are still SiriusXM based on the 2013 models...and most 2014's too except the ones I mentioned above
Do you happen to know what's coming for the 2015 ES350/300h. Will they have Gen 8? Does the current 2014? I'm interested in buying the ES350 or ES300, but I'll wait if the new version will be included. Thanks.
Old 05-24-14, 07:17 AM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MarkR10
Do you happen to know what's coming for the 2015 ES350/300h. Will they have Gen 8? Does the current 2014? I'm interested in buying the ES350 or ES300, but I'll wait if the new version will be included. Thanks.
that is a great question!

currently the 2014 still has the previous GEN, it does have Siri Eyes Free (if you have an iPhone) and the SiriusXM 1 year trial for NAV TRAFFIC/WEATHER/FUEL PRICES/SPORTS/STOCKS

for the 2015, we have not heard anything yet....
Old 01-02-15, 04:50 PM
lex326
Rookie

I have a 2014 lexus gs.. what's better, the new free lexus traffic service or siriusxm? I'm disappointed in the lexus product. In Boston traffic is shown on interstate highways only. State roads which are multi lane high speed thoroughfares are not covered.
Old 01-02-15, 10:47 PM
msp713
Driver

Originally Posted by lex326
I have a 2014 lexus gs.. what's better, the new free lexus traffic service or siriusxm? I'm disappointed in the lexus product. In Boston traffic is shown on interstate highways only. State roads which are multi lane high speed thoroughfares are not covered.
I have a 2014 and the siriusxm nav traffic is ok but probably not as good as the HD radio based system on the 2015 models (also can't hurt that the new system is free). I think the siriusxm traffic display updates slower than Google maps and maybe others can confirm. I mostly drive freeways so it works for me but street traffic would definitely be ideal.
Old 01-03-15, 07:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

The HD radio based traffic is MUCH better. Our Jeep has HD Radio based traffic, and my '13 GS has the XM based traffic. The Jeep has much more data, has secondary roads in addition to interstates, and works further outside of large metropolitan areas than the XM service in the Lexus.
Old 01-03-15, 08:51 AM
Laostuh
Driver School Candidate

well i thought the traffic info on my navi was siriusxm.. after reading this im beggining to think its the free one cuz i have a 15. i like it better, it shows traffic on major streets not just highways.

Quick Reply: Sirius XM Traffic