GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Yep Brakes Needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-14, 10:43 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Yep Brakes Needed!!!

So I just hit 20K and I need brakes already, I recall having brakes longer on the 3GS. I don't brake hard I downshift more but wow I find that a little early. Seeing as most of the owners of the 4GS have had to replace there brakes early I guess this is normal. Only good thing out of it is my service guy warrantied the front rotors so I had to pay for just brake pads and labor.
Old 05-09-14, 03:48 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
So I just hit 20K and I need brakes already, I recall having brakes longer on the 3GS. I don't brake hard I downshift more but wow I find that a little early. Seeing as most of the owners of the 4GS have had to replace there brakes early I guess this is normal. Only good thing out of it is my service guy warrantied the front rotors so I had to pay for just brake pads and labor.
I had about 12-13k miles on my set when I replaced them with ceramics last month. The old pads were 1/2 worn so I figure I would have gotten about 25k if I kept using them. So yes these puppies wear out fast!

The rears looks like they would last 60-80k miles.
Old 05-09-14, 05:00 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Seems like 100% of the pad is ending up on the front wheels...gotta rinse them at least once a week. Looking forward to a set of ceramic pads soon.
Old 05-09-14, 06:57 PM
Nismo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone with an F Sport model that doesn't autocross or track your vehicle may be well served by switching to aftermarket ceramic pads.

If you autocross but don't track your F Sport then you should be mostly fine with aftermarket ceramic pads, although your times will be slightly worse.

But if you track your F Sport, then know that you can't get something for nothing. When compared to stock F Sport pads, ceramic pads are quieter, dust less, and will last longer. But they also have lower friction coefficients and, most importantly for track-day aficionados, have much lower temperature ranges than stock. Translation: your brakes will "go off" very quickly on ceramics as opposed to stock. And keep in mind that the stock F Sport brakes themselves, despite all their noise and dust, are still not quite up to the task of a full day at the track!
Old 05-09-14, 09:09 PM
LexFather

We have over 20k now and the brakes are fine. We did switch to the new squeak less pads (TSB). Thanks for the info bigblack06
Old 05-09-14, 10:14 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dukeaudio
Seems like 100% of the pad is ending up on the front wheels...gotta rinse them at least once a week. Looking forward to a set of ceramic pads soon.
Amen to that, factory pads are just made of heavily compressed dust that turn back into dust and stick to the rims during any kind of braking.
Old 05-10-14, 04:51 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm at 21K miles now and still have some life left. I recall that my fronts were gone on the 3GS at 16k miles. But those brakes were too dusty compared to what I have on the 4GS now.
Old 05-10-14, 10:53 AM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I already been through 4 sets of pads and now using endless big brake kit
Old 05-10-14, 06:51 PM
bigblack06

Yea I may have to change pads and the rear pads are pretty much still full no real meat taken off of them.
Old 05-11-14, 04:29 PM
dreamG
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 40 Posts

Maybe a stupid question, but what are you basing on to conclude that the brakes need to be replaced. Is this a visual inspection, increased squeaks, or from a change in braking behavior when driving? Mine is about 22K and I have not noticed any change in normal braking but I haven't really inspected the wear of the front pads. I did notice a small squeak that just started a week ago.
Old 05-11-14, 05:45 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Usually that squeak is the wear indicator material heating up under braking. When it squeaks, it's time to replace. If you wait it out you'll get to the grinding and braking will be seriously compromised. I'd have it checked at least, they'll just throw it on a lift, pull a front wheel and measure the pad meat remaining. It's a simple and fairly fast process.
Old 05-12-14, 01:20 PM
dreamG
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Usually that squeak is the wear indicator material heating up under braking. When it squeaks, it's time to replace. If you wait it out you'll get to the grinding and braking will be seriously compromised. I'd have it checked at least, they'll just throw it on a lift, pull a front wheel and measure the pad meat remaining. It's a simple and fairly fast process.
Afrosheen, you are exactly right. I did, however, had the front pads replaced at around 10K due to the squeaks (TSB-related.) I cannot imagine the "new" F pads just lasting only 12-13K under normal driving. I have to do inspection in one month and I'll have them check it then. Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-12-14, 02:58 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Does the premium/luxury model have this problem too? Brakes wearing out that quickly, or just the FSport model?
Old 05-13-14, 05:18 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2013 luxury and i'm at around 38,000 miles. Still on the OEM brakes. Live in Western PA and use the brakes quite a bit but i'm also on the interstates quite a bit.
Old 05-13-14, 08:11 AM
bigblack06

That's interesting I I wonder if we can get some more luxury owners to chime in as I wonder if the F-Sport brakes literally go early at or around 20K.

Quick Reply: Yep Brakes Needed!!!