GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2014 Lexus GS350 F Sport VS Luxury?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-14, 03:46 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts
Default 2014 Lexus GS350 F Sport VS Luxury?

Ive been searching and i dont seem to find any direct comparisons between the F sport package and luxury package and what the exact differences are? Id like as much information and opinions as possible . Thanks CL, you guys are the best!
Old 05-06-14, 04:00 PM
victg93
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can go to the Lexus website and go to build a GS. There's a convenient page under packages that lets you compare the differences between the F sport and the Luxury Package. Here's a link, hope it works lol

http://www.lexus.com/configurator/#/...=7239&group=GS
Old 05-06-14, 05:16 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-350/...t-package.html

If I were buying a 2013 Lexus GS 350, I'd add the F Sport package like our car has. This isn't necessarily because I'm an octane-fuelled car enthusiast who lives his life a quarter mile at a time. I just happen to think that what the F Sport version offers is ideally suited for what I'd want from a midsize luxury sport sedan. Here are five reasons why.

1) Sharper exterior styling. Of course, everybody's going to have an opinion on the Lexus GS's styling. But I was driving a few days ago on the highway in our long-term GS when another new GS 350 came up from behind me. First off, I couldn't actually tell what it was. "Is that a GS or LS?" I wondered. And that non-F Sport did seem a bit bland. At least with the F Sport, there's some extra personality up front thanks to the more aggressively styled lower bumper and mesh-style grille inserts. I also happen to like the F Sport's wheels and discrete rear spoiler.

2) Standard sport-tuned suspension. The F Sport comes standard with the adjustable suspension dampers. You can get these as part of the GS's Luxury package as well, though the F Sport's are tuned specifically for performance. What I like about this is that our long-termer is, in normal mode, still very well suited for comfortable daily driving. Yet engage the Sport or Sport+ modes and the GS noticeably livens up, making driving around corners more engaging. You get your luxury sedan and luxury sport sedan in one car.

3) Rear-wheel-steering system. OK, it does take some getting used to and isn't for everybody. But personally I like how it quickens the car's steering and turn-in around corners. It also noticeably reduces the turning circle.

4) More powerful front brakes and summer tires. Both are included with F Sport. If you haven't read it, we have a great comparison test of winter versus summer tires. Since I live in California, summer tires would work out almost all the time. And who wouldn't want more powerful brakes?

5) F Sport-specific front seats and steering wheel. There's not a huge difference here, but the F Sport does have special sport front seats (I like the adjustable side bolsters) plus a steering wheel with pronounced indents for your thumbs at the 9 and 3 positions. Both help accentuate that you're driving a special model of the GS.

Opting for the F Sport package isn't cheap. It adds $5,690 to the car's price. But I think it's worth it.

Brent Romans, Senior Automotive Editor @ 16,021 miles
Old 05-06-14, 05:17 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the biggest difference is the way it drives. It's a bit firmer. Also the F sports has a different grill and front bumper.
To me the different grill and slight firmer suspension wasn't worth what I was getting in the Lux package.

http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/features/options

He's from NY so more then likely he will be getting AWD so the F sport doesn't come with larger brakes and rear steer isn't an option..

Last edited by puckhead85; 05-06-14 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 06:17 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

If it wasn't for the $5k+ difference I would've gotten the F Sport. I just like that car since it came out but my wallet isn't quite there yet. Maybe after this lease is up, 3 yrs from now.
Old 05-06-14, 07:04 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is my take on what you will get if you opt for the Luxury package that you do not get with Fsport package.

1. You get LED fog lights. These are very bright. Premium package gets halogens.

2. Bi-Xenon Hid Adaptive Front Lighting. These make your headlights turn and light up the area you are going. Bi-Led headlights if you get the GS450h Luxury.

3. Luxury package seat has all of the adjustments that the Fsport has but also has two adjustments that Fsport does not have. One allows you to adjust shoulder blade portion of the seat and the head rest can also be adjusted too. (Luxury has side bolster adjustments too)

4. Three memory seat position for BOTH driver and passenger seats.
Fsport can only remember the drivers seat.

5. Rear manual sun shades for passenger windows. The Fsports do not get these.

6. The luxury package also gets wood steering wheel. I personally prefer all leather steering wheel. The wood scratches too easily.

7. Rain sensing windshield wipers. Very useful feature.

8. Double pane front driver and passenger laminated window glass. This feature makes the car have no wind noise.
At first I though this came with cold weather package but my cousin has the fspot with cold weather package and his windows are not double pane. His car is louder than mines at highway speeds.

Worth mentioning is I own a 2014 GS350 luxury and my cousin owns a 2013 GS350 fsport and we swap rides all the time. He likes my car when driving far and going on vacation driving trips. And I like his car better when I am carving the mountain roads. My cousin told me he was very suprised how great the handling of my Luxury in Sport+ mode is compared to his fsport in sport+. I feel that his car gets the handling edge due to his rear steer. But to him he can hardly tell the two apart. We both take our cars to the track. And its only on the track that we feel the fsport handled better.

Also the Cabernet leather is only available In Fsport versions. So if you have to get an fsport might as well go for Cabernet.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 05-06-14 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 09:17 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Get the Lux and upgrade the brakes and front end (if you like the look). You can then upgrade the wheels to staggered 20's.
Old 05-07-14, 09:19 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Thanks so much everyone you guys are super informed now I understand the difference. But your saying the AWD doesn't have rear steer and bigger brakes as an option? I'll admit one of the only reasons I wanted the f sport was for the looks especially the front and possibly the rear steering but being from ny the f sport wheels sound too big with too thin of tires for these ****ty NYC roads. What kind of wheels does the luxury package add?
Old 05-07-14, 09:28 AM
escamar03
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Thanks so much everyone you guys are super informed now I understand the difference. But your saying the AWD doesn't have rear steer and bigger brakes as an option? I'll admit one of the only reasons I wanted the f sport was for the looks especially the front and possibly the rear steering but being from ny the f sport wheels sound too big with too thin of tires for these ****ty NYC roads. What kind of wheels does the luxury package add?
I would say F-Sport all the way and keep your eyes open for pot holes. I've hit some pretty big potholes since i live in Northern Va., and still going strong. I do keep a look out all the time for those craters..but the designing inside/out is so much better with the F-Sport package..
Old 05-07-14, 09:31 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I'm noticing the only big difference between the luxury and premium package are basically the adjustable suspension and the moving headlights. Everything else is minor. To the people who have the adjustable suspension would you say it's worth the extra $5,000 over the premium package honestly?
Old 05-07-14, 09:32 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

And what do you mean upgrade the front end. What would it take to make the gs luxury package look like the f sport ? Sounds expensive
Old 05-07-14, 09:34 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

And based on Lexus website it looks like the luxury package no longer comes with double pane glass or at least it doesn't SAY that's a feature? Because that's a deal breaker for me I would buy the lux package just for that option like the old LS used to have. U can whisper in there
Old 05-07-14, 09:39 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by escamar03
I would say F-Sport all the way and keep your eyes open for pot holes. I've hit some pretty big potholes since i live in Northern Va., and still going strong. I do keep a look out all the time for those craters..but the designing inside/out is so much better with the F-Sport package..
I live in NYC potholes are crazy here. Don't know if I want a harsh ride since the f sport has very thin tires even though I love the look of the f
Old 05-07-14, 09:44 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

It seems like the f sport just looks nicer but the luxury comes with much more features
Old 05-07-14, 10:17 AM
pringle
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Here is my take on what you will get if you opt for the Luxury package that you do not get with Fsport package.

1. You get LED fog lights. These are very bright. Premium package gets halogens.

2. Bi-Xenon Hid Adaptive Front Lighting. These make your headlights turn and light up the area you are going. Bi-Led headlights if you get the GS450h Luxury.

3. Luxury package seat has all of the adjustments that the Fsport has but also has two adjustments that Fsport does not have. One allows you to adjust shoulder blade portion of the seat and the head rest can also be adjusted too. (Luxury has side bolster adjustments too)

4. Three memory seat position for BOTH driver and passenger seats.
Fsport can only remember the drivers seat.

5. Rear manual sun shades for passenger windows. The Fsports do not get these.

6. The luxury package also gets wood steering wheel. I personally prefer all leather steering wheel. The wood scratches too easily.

7. Rain sensing windshield wipers. Very useful feature.

8. Double pane front driver and passenger laminated window glass. This feature makes the car have no wind noise.
At first I though this came with cold weather package but my cousin has the fspot with cold weather package and his windows are not double pane. His car is louder than mines at highway speeds.

Worth mentioning is I own a 2014 GS350 luxury and my cousin owns a 2013 GS350 fsport and we swap rides all the time. He likes my car when driving far and going on vacation driving trips. And I like his car better when I am carving the mountain roads. My cousin told me he was very suprised how great the handling of my Luxury in Sport+ mode is compared to his fsport in sport+. I feel that his car gets the handling edge due to his rear steer. But to him he can hardly tell the two apart. We both take our cars to the track. And its only on the track that we feel the fsport handled better.

Also the Cabernet leather is only available In Fsport versions. So if you have to get an fsport might as well go for Cabernet.
In the luxury, the center armrest for the rear seat has climate control and radio control. And, due to different sized wheels front to back, you can't rotate the tires on the f-sport.

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus GS350 F Sport VS Luxury?