GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Quick ML Rattle Fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-14, 04:27 PM
BailsVT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick ML Rattle Fix

I decided to fix the door panel rattles this weekend and it ended up being easier than i thought. I cranked the stereo and started looking for all of the rattles. Surprisingly the only rattles i found were from the front door window switches and the subwoofer grill in the rear deck (still brainstorming that one)

Use a flat platic panel removal tool to pry up the front of the window switch assembly. Once the front is loose it comes out pretty easily.

Push on the switches from the top while using a small flat head screwdriver to carefully pry open the tabs that hold the switches in the cover pate. Once the two parts are separated use some felt tape
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QC6HVS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QC6HVS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to line the inside of the cover plate where the switch assembly clips in.

Carefully snap it back together and reinstall it back in the door. Repeat the procedure on the passenger side then enjoy rattle free music.
Old 05-04-14, 05:00 PM
Matt11212
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You my friend are a genius. This has bugged me for long enough...
Old 05-04-14, 11:05 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently had this problem. Many will get this problem later. Did the felt affected the buttons at all? I never knew there were sound issues coming from the sub. I don't even hear the sub on my ML. Either my sub is well put or it's not even on or defective.
Old 05-05-14, 07:23 AM
BailsVT
Rookie

The felt doesn't affect the buttons at all. My buttons used to wiggle around a little and would occasionally creak, now they feel solid and don't make a sound. At high volume and lower frequencies of bass the grill over the sub moves so much that it rattles against the top of the sub. Once i find a solution, I'll post it.
Old 05-05-14, 08:35 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to steer off track but do you have a picture or link to said tool. When I had my radar installed the USB cord is tucked on the side of the dash where the door and the dash meet and i'm afraid i'll break something
Old 05-05-14, 09:00 AM
BailsVT
Rookie

Originally Posted by puckhead85
Not to steer off track but do you have a picture or link to said tool. When I had my radar installed the USB cord is tucked on the side of the dash where the door and the dash meet and i'm afraid i'll break something
one similar to this will do the trick.
Old 05-05-14, 05:03 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

so just to make sure i'm following instructions properly, the felt may somewhat be visible then since you're putting it on the areas surrounding the window switches?
Old 05-05-14, 07:19 PM
BailsVT
Rookie

Originally Posted by modthispny
so just to make sure i'm following instructions properly, the felt may somewhat be visible then since you're putting it on the areas surrounding the window switches?
The felt won't be visible once the assembly is put back together.
Old 05-06-14, 12:46 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

one last question, do you line the felt around the actual window switch button or inside the cover plate that won't be visible.

reason i ask is if i line around the window switch buttons, the spacing is already very tight, not sure how i could put the switch housing back in.

Last edited by modthispny; 05-06-14 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 02:11 PM
BailsVT
Rookie

The felt goes inside the cover plate where the switches snap in. Its a little harder to snap the switches in, but it still fits right.
Old 05-06-14, 03:21 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

ok so was able to get this done, used soft side of velcro as walgreens didn't have felt tape.

i still hear slight buzzing from the door switches, but it's about 80% improved, so a lot better, thanks!

Last edited by modthispny; 05-06-14 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 04:49 PM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I did this to my car

I took a zip tie around switch tight and put a little foam padding around the bottom. instead of the foam pad, you can use tape. once you put the zip tie on tight. the switch does not move. hopefully that will fix it.

I only did this because when I took the switch off and shook it, it make a rattle.

good luck and hopefully its a easy fix.
Attached Thumbnails Quick ML Rattle Fix-20140507_182102.jpg  
Old 05-07-14, 09:25 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I imagine bass is distributed between the front speakers and the rear sub somewhat evenly, particularly with the surround mode activated. On my ML-equipped GS I know the switches rattle like hell thanks to the front speakers. They shake so fast they blur, it's pretty crazy to watch. I think I'll have the dealer apply the felt.

Funny how felt tape fixes alot of this stuff. I bet half my interior in my old G35 had felt tape behind it, and the great part was felt tape behind both of the pivot points on the outside rearview mirrors.
Old 12-04-14, 05:15 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

op i cant thank you enough i just did it using this method and it worked. That rattle has been bugging me for months!

Dealer said they fixed it but they didnt do anything. Feels so good damn this thread needs to be sticked thank you op!

my speakers aren't ML so this works for both models. I didnt have felt tape and was lazy so i just used some other kind of tape and it still worked.

Last edited by Infamous3; 12-04-14 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-04-14, 05:20 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
I imagine bass is distributed between the front speakers and the rear sub somewhat evenly, particularly with the surround mode activated. On my ML-equipped GS I know the switches rattle like hell thanks to the front speakers. They shake so fast they blur, it's pretty crazy to watch. I think I'll have the dealer apply the felt.

Funny how felt tape fixes alot of this stuff. I bet half my interior in my old G35 had felt tape behind it, and the great part was felt tape behind both of the pivot points on the outside rearview mirrors.
This would lead to a lot of weird sound effects in the car since bass waves would be cancelling left and right. I suspect the crossover for the stereo is actually reasonably steep between the sub and the front (but it may be you are getting mid and low bass at the same time).

Maybe some rubber washers on the grill mount points?

Quick Reply: Quick ML Rattle Fix