stream Netflix to nav screen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-14, 02:14 PM
saminator1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stream Netflix to nav screen?

hi everyone,

i recently installed the prestigious society nav enhancement which allows me to watch dvds while driving (best mod ever!). but now that i've gone through and watched my entire dvd collection, i wanted to start streaming netflix to the screen instead.

i was wondering if anyone has done this before and wanted to try to get some ideas on the best way to do this. i know i'd need to expand the input capabilities of my nav unit, but was probably going to get the MEIS unit from prestigious society since im very happy with the nav enhancement product already.

one of the ideas i had was to get a samsung allshare wifi dongle to screen mirror from my galaxy s4, but i don't want to be tied to only streaming from a samsung device if i don't have to.

anyway, just wanted to see if anyone on the forum has done something similar (couldnt find any prior threads using search) and see what works or what doesnt.

thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-14, 07:04 PM
Nismo
Rookie

Unhappy

I thought about doing this, but for my kid, not for me the driver. If you are doing this so you can watch more videos while driving, then for the safety of you and those around you, please reconsider. There is enough distracted driving out there (I've been hit by distracted drivers before, and they were always apologetic, but that doesn't make the pain any less). Try to always keep both hands on the steering wheel and your mind on the task of driving anytime you're operating a motor vehicle.

Ok, preaching over. Now about the technical details of your request, I don't know. My Honda has video inputs for it's rear seat entertainment system, but I don't know much about Lexus' systems yet--haven't been an owner long enough. I did jury rig some audio inputs into a car I once had. Considering the Lexus system plays DVD video by default, there must be a way to get an alternate video stream in there; I just haven't tinkered with it enough yet to know.

Last edited by Nismo; 04-26-14 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-27-14, 04:36 AM
hohoss11
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, I can't help you, but I would like to ask about the nav enhancement you got.
Does it display the dvd in the entire screen? Does it display it while the car is moving?

Thanks !
Old 04-27-14, 01:52 PM
saminator1
Driver School Candidate

hi hohoss11,

The nav enhancement does not play video over the entire screen. it's still limited to the left 2/3rds just like when you play a dvd when parked. and yes, with the enhancement installed, you can watch dvd's while you're moving and you can control everything in your car (navigation, settings, etc) that is normally greyed out when youre moving. i'm very happy with the purchase and the install wasn't bad at all.
Old 04-27-14, 04:55 PM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

+5 to what Nismo said. I've been in 2 serious accidents because of distracted drivers. The technology aspect sounds cool, but think about the potential liability if you cause an accident and someone finds out that you were watching a video, not to mention the damage you could cause...
Old 04-28-14, 05:26 AM
jucytec
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@saminator1,

best to hard wire over wifi. if you want to stream netflix...
Get the MHL Adapter for your phone, and a HDMI to RCA convertor to plug into your MEIS kit from Prestigious. MHL Adapter for Galaxy S4 + HDMI to RCA convertor should be about 80 dollars total.

I wish prestigious made an Input for HDMI but... the car itself probably is wired on RCA.

Samsung All Share will only allow sharing to a DLNA device and using samsung video player on your device ONLY. better bet is Chromecast that is rooted, but... still limited in what you can do...

MHL adapter shows everything on your screen on the display. make sure you buy the RIGHT one. there are a lot of fakes.