GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

DIY Trunk LED Light Strip Guide

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-14, 02:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Ted - Any particular reason why you decided to go with Warm White (~3,000k) versus the White (~5,000k)? I think most guys want to change to a whiter color light. However, in my case I just wanted higher lumens (light output), but wanted to stay with the original light's warm color.
Old 11-23-14, 02:41 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bclexus
Ted - Any particular reason why you decided to go with Warm White (~3,000k) versus the White (~5,000k)? I think most guys want to change to a whiter color light. However, in my case I just wanted higher lumens (light output), but wanted to stay with the original light's warm color.
The white is 6000K I believe, which makes it bluish. 5000K is neutral white typically. The one thing I hate about all these online vendors is they don't publish CRI specs which is an index of how close to daylight the light is.
Old 11-24-14, 10:21 AM
tedbird
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bclexus - I just thought the bright white might be too harsh when opening the trunk in total darkness. I love the warm white.
Old 11-24-14, 10:43 AM
wsykes
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Just wanted to thank the OP for this post. I did this mod over the weekend, less than 20mins. It makes a big difference!!!
Old 11-24-14, 11:02 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tedbird
bclexus - I just thought the bright white might be too harsh when opening the trunk in total darkness. I love the warm white.
Thanks! That was my thought also, and why I went with the Warm White too.
Old 11-28-14, 11:51 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Just got around to installing the Diode Dynamics SMD12 Board in Warm White (~3,000°K Color @ 70CRI per specifications on 5050-size Epistar SMD chips). What a huge difference in light output compared to the 194 bulb!

The only 'issue' I had was the Diode Dynamics (included) socket adapter (to fit the OEM 194 bulb socket) did not make very good (continuous) contact and the SMD12 LED Board operated On & Off intermittently with a slight movement of the harness wiring. It took a few attempts to slightly move/bend the adapter's two bare wire contacts where the LED light stayed On without unexpectedly going out.

Nice little inexpensive mod that may come in really handy if searching through the trunk is needed on a dark night...
Old 12-24-14, 06:56 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got around to installing the Diode Dynamics SMD12 Board in Warm White (~3,000°K Color @ 70CRI per specifications on 5050-size Epistar SMD chips). What a huge difference in light output compared to the 194 bulb!

The only 'issue' I had was the Diode Dynamics (included) socket adapter (to fit the OEM 194 bulb socket) did not make very good (continuous) contact and the SMD12 LED Board operated On & Off intermittently with a slight movement of the harness wiring. It took a few attempts to slightly move/bend the adapter's two bare wire contacts where the LED light stayed On without unexpectedly going out.

Nice little inexpensive mod that may come in really handy if searching through the trunk is needed on a dark night...
Would soldering the bare wire contacts together help (or is there enough room to do that?

Also, has anyone tried the Diode Dynamics SMD12 Board option on a 2015 GS?
Old 12-24-14, 07:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by djkidd
Would soldering the bare wire contacts together help (or is there enough room to do that?

Also, has anyone tried the Diode Dynamics SMD12 Board option on a 2015 GS?
That's really not needed, and I probably shouldn't have even mentioned anything about the bare wire contacts. It was just a simple matter of spreading the little wire contacts with a small screwdriver so they made a snug contact. All GS 350's use the 194 bulb in the trunk, which is nowhere near enough light for a trunk. The Diode Dynamics SMD 12 Board is definitely the the way to go, and a huge (and much needed) improvement in light output. The 'Warm White' color I chose (~3,000°K) is perfect, I think.
Old 12-24-14, 07:21 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

That's really not needed, and I probably shouldn't have even mentioned anything about the bare wire contacts. It was just a simple matter of spreading the little wire contacts with a small screwdriver so they made a snug contact. All GS 350's use the 194 bulb in the trunk, which is nowhere near enough light for a trunk. The Diode Dynamics SMD 12 Board is definitely the the way to go, and a huge (and much needed) improvement in light output. The 'Warm White' color I chose (~3,000°K) is perfect, I think.
Thanks for the info! I probably bugging you with my next question, but I'm still a little hesitant to do anything to my new baby.

When you installed the bulb, the SMD 12 Board fit perfectly inside the light cover? Did you have to do any other modifications to make it work or was it simply pull out the old bulb, plug in the SMD 12 board and put the cover over it?

Also, what do you think of this:
Amazon.com: Sylvania 168/194/2825 Premium White LEDriving Bulb: Automotive Amazon.com: Sylvania 168/194/2825 Premium White LEDriving Bulb: Automotive
I've been reading another topic "DIY Puddle Light LED" and some of the guys are changing their trunk light bulb with this one instead.

Last edited by djkidd; 12-24-14 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-24-14, 07:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info! I probably bugging you with my next question, but I'm still a little hesitant to do anything to my new baby.

When you installed the bulb, the SMD 12 Board fit perfectly inside the light cover? Did you have to do any other modifications to make it work or was it simply pull out the old bulb, plug in the SMD 12 board and put the cover over it?
Sorry, I should have already explained the process. You are correct - just snap off the lens and unplug the 194 bulb. Then attach the supplied adapter lead to the 194 bulb socket and the other end of the adapter to the LED. Give it a wiggle to make sure the 194 socket to adapter is making good contact. The back side (actually upper side) of the LED board has double-face tape that adheres to the top of the OEM light housing. It fits perfectly without any modifications to the light fixture or the LED board. Snap the lens back on and it's finished. Takes only a few minutes. Well worth the money and time.
Old 12-24-14, 07:41 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Also, what do you think of this: Amazon.com: Sylvania 168/194/2825 Premium White LEDriving Bulb: Automotive
I've been reading another topic "DIY Puddle Light LED" and some of the guys are changing their trunk light bulb with this one instead.
6000°K color is too blue (cool) for me. I like the 3000°K Color (warm white) myself. And I like the LED board of the Diode Dynamic unit. Knowing what I've done I would not change.

Personally I don't care for bright puddle lights myself. They mainly direct their light onto the side of the door. It's not really efficient in my opinion...and anything brighter just makes it looks even more inefficient.
Old 12-24-14, 07:42 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Sorry, I should have already explained the process. You are correct - just snap off the lens and unplug the 194 bulb. Then attach the supplied adapter lead to the 194 bulb socket and the other end of the adapter to the LED. Give it a wiggle to make sure the 194 socket to adapter is making good contact. The back side (actually upper side) of the LED board has double-face tape that adheres to the top of the OEM light housing. It fits perfectly without any modifications to the light fixture or the LED board. Snap the lens back on and it's finished. Takes only a few minutes. Well worth the money and time.
You are awesome! Thanks so much for that info. Definitely took the butterflies out of my stomach about doing this. I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the SMD 12 board (fingers crossed for me to get it sometime next week). I'll do before and after pics too for anyone else looking to do this. Thanks again!!
Old 01-01-15, 09:13 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

You are awesome! Thanks so much for that info. Definitely took the butterflies out of my stomach about doing this. I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the SMD 12 board (fingers crossed for me to get it sometime next week). I'll do before and after pics too for anyone else looking to do this. Thanks again!!
Let us know what you think of the difference in the lumen light output after you convert from that 194 bulb to the Diode Dynamic SMD 12 LED board.
Old 01-01-15, 05:18 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

With the help of bclexus, I was able to get my SMD-12 board working. I actually blew a fuse either taking out the 194 bulb or plugging in the SMD-12 board initially (for the newbs, don't worry, changing a fuse is easy enough for a 5 year old to do).

The difference was tremendous! Here are the before and after pictures (pardon the mess, I still tend to use my trunk like a somewhat organized college kid):

Before:

After:

Old 01-01-15, 05:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Wow! What a difference!

My trunk is full of golf clubs...

Quick Reply: DIY Trunk LED Light Strip Guide