GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Might pull the trigger tomorrow on F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 03:07 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might pull the trigger tomorrow on F-Sport

Been away for years so strange being back but cool to see this place has the same vibe. Used to have a 07 GS350 that was my absolute favorite car of all time. Rolled 40k miles on it and traded for a 08 LS460 which I hated. Thought I was getting an upgraded GS but it was really an upgraded ES.... sucked in every way. Completely soulless, and the perfect Swiss Army knife of cars. Did everything well but not a damn thing exceedingly well.

Had the LS for 10 months and traded it for a 08 S63 which I traded for a 12' M37S which I love but now at 40k miles and has to go. 99% sure I'm getting a 14' GS F sport tomorrow but not 100%. The M is great, not a single issue, gobs of low end grunt up to 4500 RPMs where it tapers off, quiet, upgraded Bose system with the Sport Touring package has far better sound than the Mark Levinson in my GS and LS and the handling is insane. Corners like a 370Z and 4 wheel steering makes everything feel so precise. The M is an exceptional car that's highly underrated. Don't want a new one so gotta move on.

Drove the F sport for a 20 mile extended test drive and initially it feels sluggish compared to the M. 306hp vs 330hp so understandable but the Infiniti is all about low end torque which makes it launch hard. The GS felt like it had to be in S+ to feel snappy but the 8sp tranny seemed to be 1-2 gears too low most of the time for instant response. My 07 GS felt pretty good but that was the 6sp. The mouse thing is different but certainly not better than the old GS touchscreen, love the buttons and touch screen in the Inifiniti, worried about the mouse in the GS.

On the fence about color too. Really want the cabernet interior but white with cabernet is like a unicorn, impossible to get so considering ultra white/black, nebula gray/black or cabernet, and black/cabernet. Looked at all 3 colors side by side for over 20 mins and still undecided.

Biggest issue is I see you guys are posting about wind noise, rattles and the same basic crap that plagued the GS and LS. My GS had rattles that had to be sorted out. Fortunately I didn't have the LS wind noise issues others had but that was just luck on my part. Can't believe the same stuff is happening with the new GS. I saw a post about wind noise near the mirror triangle, exact same issue and fix for the 08 LS. Saw a review online about how the huge display has popup warnings that block the screen when you have the backup cam activated. Strange shortcomings that could have and should have been fixed from launch. Ugh!
Old 03-10-14, 03:36 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I just bought my wife the new GS350, and I too have had a GS 350 (2010) in the past that was actually my car. I also had an 06 M45 sport. I agree with your comments about the eight speed feeling sluggish. I've experimented with the various modes (Luxury package, but has the various modes like an F-Sport). I'm starting to believe the car is as fast as my 2010, but the transmissions masks some of the visceral feel. That and the fact that my car is a BMW 550 that blows it away and I'm a bit spoiled.

Good luck.

Last edited by jjscsix; 03-10-14 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-10-14, 03:38 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

No rattles here, I think majority will agree that this car is rattle free.
Old 03-10-14, 05:10 AM
jjscsix
Racer

I forgot to reply regarding wind noise and rattles. Mine does not have either. It is extremely quiet. Btw, my 2010 had none either. Don't forget, just because a handful of people complain about something on the Internet does not by itself mean it is a common problem, especially cars like this that do not have a huge Internet following.
Old 03-10-14, 05:14 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No rattles or wind noise here.
Great car!
Old 03-10-14, 06:46 AM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm probably picking up a GS350 Luxury by the end of the month myself. I bought a 2014 LCI (refreshed) BMW 535i. That car was in the shop so much that I'm exiting the car.

All of the complaints with the GS350 appear to be minor nags/issues and an outdated infotainment system rather than drivetrain problems.

@2thfxr, you might want to look at the Q50 Hybrid. 0-60 in 4.9s. It feels like a G35 in terms of NVH and handling. Weaknesses are a laggy infotainment system and that it feels like a G35 in terms of NVH (whereas the BMW 5 series is better for cruising and the 2014 revised suspension is sportier than the 2011 5 series). The navigation in the BMW isn't great (doesn't tell you if the destination is on the left or right) but I love the fact that you can make adjustments while driving and the traffic is HD radio based and the USB input reads NTFS. The GS is definitely a generation behind in infotainment. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2015 GS updates the infotainment.

The reliability is unclear but the CTS VSport is probably going to be a good car. The 2015 Genesis is a Hyundai, but it may be a great driver's car too with a lot more technology in the system.

For the GS350, Sport+ is needed for both the firm dampers and throttle mapping. Sport touches the throttle but not the dampers. The F-Sport and Luxury line have identical springs and dampers but the software is tuned differently (the F-sport engages first.) F-Sport has optional rear wheel steering and variable ratio steering but I don't see that in CA.

Are you bay area or socal? I didn't think ultra white on cabernet was that hard to find... Luxury line seems to be much more difficult.
Old 03-10-14, 06:53 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I def have no rattles and I know what they sounded like in the 3GS. This car I must say is way better than the 3GS, I brought my car in for what I thought was the first problem with speakers and it was my ipod. This model has been rock solid speakers and all. Overall great car, also loved your car choices S63 must have been a beast. The HP is low I do agree but it is very light and very agile in turns will make you love winding roads. good luck and post pics if you purchase.
Old 03-10-14, 01:16 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Decided on Black with Cabernet interior. Going to pick it up in a few hrs... wish me luck!
Old 03-10-14, 01:41 PM
bigtang1
Rookie

Great choice - you will not be sorry
Old 03-10-14, 01:41 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

No luck needed. Congrats! Nice collection and user name. For some reason I remember the day you took a picture of your GS on the way home from work. Very nice capture.
Old 03-10-14, 01:58 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by GXAlan
I'm probably picking up a GS350 Luxury by the end of the month myself. I bought a 2014 LCI (refreshed) BMW 535i. That car was in the shop so much that I'm exiting the car.

All of the complaints with the GS350 appear to be minor nags/issues and an outdated infotainment system rather than drivetrain problems.

@2thfxr, you might want to look at the Q50 Hybrid. 0-60 in 4.9s. It feels like a G35 in terms of NVH and handling. Weaknesses are a laggy infotainment system and that it feels like a G35 in terms of NVH (whereas the BMW 5 series is better for cruising and the 2014 revised suspension is sportier than the 2011 5 series). The navigation in the BMW isn't great (doesn't tell you if the destination is on the left or right) but I love the fact that you can make adjustments while driving and the traffic is HD radio based and the USB input reads NTFS. The GS is definitely a generation behind in infotainment. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2015 GS updates the infotainment.

The reliability is unclear but the CTS VSport is probably going to be a good car. The 2015 Genesis is a Hyundai, but it may be a great driver's car too with a lot more technology in the system.

For the GS350, Sport+ is needed for both the firm dampers and throttle mapping. Sport touches the throttle but not the dampers. The F-Sport and Luxury line have identical springs and dampers but the software is tuned differently (the F-sport engages first.) F-Sport has optional rear wheel steering and variable ratio steering but I don't see that in CA.

Are you bay area or socal? I didn't think ultra white on cabernet was that hard to find... Luxury line seems to be much more difficult.
Alan, you provided useful info. I have a 2012 BMW 550 - sorry to hear you had a lot of problems.

I am still learning our new GS a little at a time. I'd like to know in what respect you feel the 2014 is lagging in the infotainment area.

Thanks
Old 03-10-14, 02:35 PM
Sosodef79
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure they don't drill your front bumper !
Old 03-10-14, 02:50 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

My BMW days are long over. I swear, I was helping my independent BMW mechanic pay for his kids' college tuitions.

Owning a Lexus will be a total change of pace, maintenance-wise. Have fun!
Old 03-10-14, 02:56 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bnlexus
No luck needed. Congrats! Nice collection and user name. For some reason I remember the day you took a picture of your GS on the way home from work. Very nice capture.
Forgot about that one... thanks! I REALLY loved this car, after doing the low dusting pad TSB and fixing the dash rattle it was perfect. IMO the rear end is better than the 4th gen.

Last edited by 2thfixr; 03-10-14 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-10-14, 03:29 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Just saw a new post about someone that got a loaner '14 GS with wind noise around the side view mirror. Most likely culprit is the plastic cover at the triangle, seal it and all will be well. Same issue with my '08 LS. First time I saw the 4th gen GS, the salesman pointed out how the mirrors are attached to the door vs the triangle so no longer cheap looking... like it was a good thing. I said, "That's unfortunate." :lol: True story.

Quick Reply: Might pull the trigger tomorrow on F-Sport