GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Funny thing happened at Lexus today....

Old 02-17-14, 06:39 PM
stefnee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Funny thing happened at Lexus today....

We stopped off at our local Lexus dealership to finally test drive the 14 GS. This will be a replacement for my 06 GS. I luck out when I get a loaner and always end up with an ES or an RX. Anyway, we ask for the salesman that sold us our LS. I tell him what we were there for and the hard sale starts... (wait for it).... for the ES. He starts saying why buy a GS if you just want to spend an extra $10K - $15K...... The ES has more room.... You can't really tell the difference between the two visually.... The ES has the same equipment as the GS, so I don't see why you would want to buy a GS. I asked him if the GS are not selling and he said he just sold two today. We finally took the car out for a test drive but is should have not been so hard to convince the sale man that the GS was the car we wanted to drive.
Old 02-17-14, 06:45 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Unless there were some cues you gave him that would make him think the ES is a more suitable car for you (more rear seat room, softer ride, cheaper, etc.) he is an idiot.

The GS is definitely worth the extra money.
Old 02-18-14, 03:41 PM
stefnee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No cues give.

But even so. I want what I want. I am not new to the Lexus. And I thought the sales man knew this. We have a 06 and 07 GS and an 10 LS. When we do get the GS this experience just means we will not be getting it from Chris.
Old 02-18-14, 07:39 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

This happens very often, not surprised.

Poor GS gets no love from the dealers at all....
Old 02-18-14, 08:15 PM
MidasTouch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everyones an idiot

I have to beg everyone to take my money
Old 02-18-14, 08:31 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe there is a dealer push for the ES
Old 02-19-14, 03:30 AM
NobodyHere
Rookie

I had a similar issue when I bought an ES350 a year ago. I test drove a GS at that time, but the dealer pushed me towards an ES. I ended up buying the ES, but went back a year later and swapped it out for a GS. The didn't seem to be pushing the GS at all. Figured they type cast me as someone who was a better fit for the ES. I wonder what the median age is for a GS? For an ES it was 57.
Old 02-20-14, 12:02 AM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Methinks their must be a better margin selling the ES than the GS. That would be the ONLY reason for the dealer push to the ES. (In more than once case, it seems.) Whatever the case it's driven by dollars and cents.

It wouldn't work for me.
Old 02-20-14, 04:27 AM
NobodyHere
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Methinks their must be a better margin selling the ES than the GS. That would be the ONLY reason for the dealer push to the ES. (In more than once case, it seems.) Whatever the case it's driven by dollars and cents.

It wouldn't work for me.
I hadn't considered that. With the $10-15k difference in price I would think the GS would have better margins. No idea how much the the cost differential is to Toyota between the two models.
Old 02-20-14, 07:26 AM
Mojo122
Driver

When I bought my 2013 GS350 F-Sport I knew more about the car than the entire sales department did. There are more ES and RX in my area as I really see another GS on the road.
Old 02-20-14, 08:20 AM
NobodyHere
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mojo122
When I bought my 2013 GS350 F-Sport I knew more about the car than the entire sales department did. There are more ES and RX in my area as I really see another GS on the road.
I've had a similar experience with the dealer. Agree on the rarity of a GS as compared to ESs and RXs..
Old 02-20-14, 08:57 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

that never would have happened here. i work for lexus as a salesman. if you wanted a GS thats what i would have showed you. the ES and the RX are the biggest sellers. heck i think the new GS is fantastic and i wish they were bigger sellers here! i think they are really fun cars! the ES is beautiful too but if you want a GS id show you a GS. btw, have you tried the GS with the F-sport package yet? its worth the extra few bucks. its a blast to drive and looks really mean and agressive on the street. good luck with your next car!
Old 02-20-14, 02:35 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojo122
When I was researching the 2014 GS prior to them arriving, wanted a 2014 broucher. Wanted the 2014 and said buying year-end. I was told the 2013 broucher was exactly the same and the model year had no changes. I mentioned power trunk, auto-outside mirrors, no night vision, etc. The saleslady continued to argued with me, no arguement from me. I was an easy sale 6 weeks later and went to another salesperson. Sometimes salespeople can't get out of the way.
Old 02-20-14, 05:15 PM
NobodyHere
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stereorob
that never would have happened here. i work for lexus as a salesman. if you wanted a GS thats what i would have showed you. the ES and the RX are the biggest sellers. heck i think the new GS is fantastic and i wish they were bigger sellers here! i think they are really fun cars! the ES is beautiful too but if you want a GS id show you a GS. btw, have you tried the GS with the F-sport package yet? its worth the extra few bucks. its a blast to drive and looks really mean and agressive on the street. good luck with your next car!
Drove the F-sport, bought the F-sport. Got obsidian, which is blacker than any black I have ever seen.
Old 02-21-14, 05:57 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by NobodyHere
Drove the F-sport, bought the F-sport. Got obsidian, which is blacker than any black I have ever seen.
yep its blacker than black. just beatutiful. fun to drive too!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Funny thing happened at Lexus today....