GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Wiper Resting Position

Old 01-29-14, 05:29 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiper Resting Position

Just noticed that the wipers on my car (top two pictures) are resting higher than the wipers on other 4Gen GSs. (third pic is a picture from another member).

How do it get it lowered? I've tried everything, but nothing solves it.
Attached Thumbnails Wiper Resting Position-img_0213.jpg   Wiper Resting Position-img_0212.jpg   Wiper Resting Position-2014-gs.jpg  
Old 01-29-14, 05:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

yours are in the winter / snow position right now. just push it down with some force
Old 01-29-14, 05:43 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
yours are in the winter / snow position right now. just push it down with some force
I tried it w/ no luck. How much force do you need to exert?
Old 01-29-14, 05:50 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

found the link for this. http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-350/...cat=affiliates
Old 01-29-14, 08:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by sgmstr
I tried it w/ no luck. How much force do you need to exert?
You have to push pretty hard...
Old 01-29-14, 08:41 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

winter/snow mode... push, push. you won't break them.
Old 01-29-14, 08:46 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

if u are afraid, let the dealership do it for you. Congrats on the new car. It's a good time to ask to set the blinker to 5 clicks and all windows open with the unlock button depressed.
Old 01-30-14, 09:25 AM
sgmstr
Pole Position

got it down!!

IMO... they could have made this automatic for $60K car... it's a great car, but thing like this sometimes bothers me - not to mention the paddle shifter which clearly doesn't resemble manual shift. This is why i never use the paddle shifter.

enform is another story.....
Old 01-30-14, 10:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You don't want it to be automatic. The whole point is so that you can raise them or lower them when the whole car is frozen over to get effective use of your wipers. Why would you want the snow mode to be automatic just so it tries to raise them or lower them when the wipers are frozen in place and burns out the motor?

Some things are better off left manual.
Old 01-31-14, 02:14 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You don't want it to be automatic. The whole point is so that you can raise them or lower them when the whole car is frozen over to get effective use of your wipers. Why would you want the snow mode to be automatic just so it tries to raise them or lower them when the wipers are frozen in place and burns out the motor?

Some things are better off left manual.
not saying this should be automatic.. i should have worded it in a different way. I want it powered so a single press changes the mode so you can turn it on before it snows. This could easily be achieved by using the wiper motors IMO.
Old 01-31-14, 02:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sgmstr
not saying this should be automatic.. i should have worded it in a different way. I want it powered so a single press changes the mode so you can turn it on before it snows. This could easily be achieved by using the wiper motors IMO.
That's precisely the point of what I said. If it was powered there would be a motor that could/would burn out when fighting wipers frozen to the windshield.

It's not that hard to just lift the wipers and press them down. I'd rather it be manual and reliable to motorized and have it burn out the first time the wipers fight a big block of ice under the hood.
Old 01-31-14, 02:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

i think having it in full manual makes sense, definitely not a part that i want a motor with

but at the same time i agree that maybe they could have made it go with less effort. i admit, for first timer, it takes a bit gut to apply that much force
Old 01-31-14, 07:19 PM
drjosh123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wipers were in winter mode as well when I took it home. Had them in that position for a week before I found the link to lower them. I thought they were defective and it was frustrating. Manual mode makes sense - I assumed (always a bad idea) that there had to be a setting someone to correct them. Probably won't need to put them back in winter position down here in South Florida.
Old 02-01-14, 11:34 AM
slowlane05
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had the same problem, use some force and they'll click into place. Mine clicked once, but now the passenger side hits the hood if you try to prop them up. Drivers side misses the hood by a hair
Old 02-01-14, 12:26 PM
NobodyHere
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had mine in winter mode. Didn't lift the wipers when I was parked and they froze to the windshield. Started the car, turned the defroster on to warm the windshield, then drove off. While they were frozen to the windshield the ice was limited to around the wipers (of course), rest of windshield was clear. Drove about 5 miles when the automatic wipers decided to engage. Wiper blades were still stuck to the windshield. The wiper motor pushed with enough force that the blades moved out of winter mode then lurched forward with a hellish loud sound, like someone tossed a big chunk of ice on the windshield. Shared the sh&t out of me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiper Resting Position