GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Wind noise solved?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 06:07 PM
GS14AWD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind noise solved?

From day 1, my car's been making this wind noise from driver's side window. It sounds like window is very slightly open and wind is sipping through at high speed, 60mph+.

I've read posts about our side mirror shape that might be at fault. I've also seen people mentioning how GS does not have "window fin" thing by side mirror when ES and LS have it.

So today while driving on highway when there was significant wind sipping noise, I folded my side mirror to see if that made any difference. Nope, no difference, not louder, not quieter. So I started to feel my hand along the window from inside, pushing different parts to if that made a difference. And there was one place that made the wind noise go away.

I found out that rubber/plastic guide on the door, top portion, right by the b-pillar, somewhat triangular shape part was loose. On passenger side, it was fitted tight but on driver's side, it was a bit loose. I fixed it tight and test drove, pretty windy weather, no wind noise now!!! I know it might be too premature to celebrate yet, but in case anyone else is having similar issue, check out that part to see if it is loose.
Old 01-28-14, 07:02 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats!!!
Old 01-28-14, 07:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

That's great!
Old 01-28-14, 07:51 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

The craziest thing is I was driving and I said let me see if I can hear it, couldn't hear it and I turned the music down then. Then I jumped on the highway and music was on and for the first time I heard a hissing sound, I was amazed that it was there now its annoying me so I will check this tomorrow.
Old 01-29-14, 10:43 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS14AWD
From day 1, my car's been making this wind noise from driver's side window. It sounds like window is very slightly open and wind is sipping through at high speed, 60mph+.

I've read posts about our side mirror shape that might be at fault. I've also seen people mentioning how GS does not have "window fin" thing by side mirror when ES and LS have it.

So today while driving on highway when there was significant wind sipping noise, I folded my side mirror to see if that made any difference. Nope, no difference, not louder, not quieter. So I started to feel my hand along the window from inside, pushing different parts to if that made a difference. And there was one place that made the wind noise go away.

I found out that rubber/plastic guide on the door, top portion, right by the b-pillar, somewhat triangular shape part was loose. On passenger side, it was fitted tight but on driver's side, it was a bit loose. I fixed it tight and test drove, pretty windy weather, no wind noise now!!! I know it might be too premature to celebrate yet, but in case anyone else is having similar issue, check out that part to see if it is loose.
I would love to see some pics of what you meant,
Old 01-29-14, 11:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I looked on my door and can't seem to find the area you mean either...
Old 01-29-14, 12:19 PM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am going to be nice and show you what he is referring to. I had wind noise on my LS460 and it was from this area. It was a big issue with all LS owners! See the black small triangle piece above the green arrow. Hope you can locate it.
Attached Thumbnails Wind noise solved?-main11.jpg  
Old 01-29-14, 01:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

He said that it was the top portion of the door near the B pillar, thats the bottom portion near the A pillar. He also said he could press on it from inside and the noise went away.

I'm very familiar with the issues with the LS460...I don't think this is the same area he's talking about.
Old 01-29-14, 07:04 PM
GS14AWD
Rookie

I think this is it. Today, driving up to 75 mph at one point, but mostly 65mph commute for 70 miles or so round trip, still no wind hissing/sipping noise.

I am attaching a image that shows which part I am talking about, hope this attachment thing works.
Attached Thumbnails Wind noise solved?-gs350.jpg  
Old 01-29-14, 07:11 PM
GS14AWD
Rookie

Sorry for huge picture, didn't mean that.
Anyhow, when you open the window and look at the part, it's rubberish/plastic part that guides the window into place as window closes. Mine was loose and I could wiggle it around a bit. As I wiggle it around, it opens up to a slight gap between this part and the hard plastic behind it. Don't ask me how, because I don't know how wind could get between that gap (it is inside the car after window is closed). But after gap is closed up tight, no more hissing sound.

My car now has 1200 miles and I actually feel like I am driving a brand new car all over again. And stock stereo isn't too bad after all, now that I can hear it without hissing sound.
Old 01-29-14, 07:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That makes sense, I didn't roll the window down...
Old 01-29-14, 11:20 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is exactly where i hear the hissing windnoise from (passenger side only).

will check it out tomorrow.

thanks!!
Old 01-30-14, 08:23 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Thanks I will try that today.
Old 01-30-14, 08:58 AM
Neogenic
Driver

I will check this as well. Hopping for it to be the answer
Old 01-31-14, 11:30 AM
Neogenic
Driver

I checked this point, no gliches. Could you take close ups? Its has been snowing heavily today, I couldnt comare sides.

Quick Reply: Wind noise solved?