GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

LED Fogs Installed... Finally

Old 05-28-14, 11:53 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I missing something here, but I don't see the point of upgrading from the standard halogen fog lights to the LED versions. With the availability of aftermarket LED bulbs, wouldn't it be easier to swap the halogen bulbs for LEDs? If somebody upgraded fog lights, the stock LED bulbs would most likely be swapped out with aftermarket versions anyways.. Can somebody please shed some light (pun intended ) on what is the difference between these two fog light versions..
Old 05-28-14, 12:31 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyk
im actually glad f-sport dont come with fog lights. I think it looks meaner without them. Look at all the M on the bmw line, they all come without fog lights. All u really need is a nice bright headlights for night driving. Just my opinion
I agree here. Looks much better without them
Old 05-28-14, 01:11 PM
LexFather

I really wish our GS had an all LED front end...

Great job in here guys!
Old 05-28-14, 04:51 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kcook700
Am I missing something here, but I don't see the point of upgrading from the standard halogen fog lights to the LED versions. With the availability of aftermarket LED bulbs, wouldn't it be easier to swap the halogen bulbs for LEDs? If somebody upgraded fog lights, the stock LED bulbs would most likely be swapped out with aftermarket versions anyways.. Can somebody please shed some light (pun intended ) on what is the difference between these two fog light versions..
The stock LED foglight has no user replaceable bulb and has a 5000k like color. It's pretty bright (lumens output) and has a nice cutoff. The halogen foglight upgraded to an led bulb may appear bright looking head on but it's lumens output on the ground will be pretty low and dim. The led foglights are functional, they actually light up the road directly in front to the car. Halogen foglights fitted with led bulbs may look good but are not too functional, they barely light up the road in front of the car.
Old 05-28-14, 07:41 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Since F-Sports don't come with fogs I had the option of getting standard halogen or LED fogs. I loved the clean cutoff and cooler (5000K) color of the LEDs so I chose them instead.
Old 05-28-14, 08:41 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
Since F-Sports don't come with fogs I had the option of getting standard halogen or LED fogs. I loved the clean cutoff and cooler (5000K) color of the LEDs so I chose them instead.
Same reason why I went with led fogs as well
The led foglights are only a few more dollars over halogen.
Old 05-29-14, 02:41 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
Same reason why I went with led fogs as well
The led foglights are only a few more dollars over halogen.
Ok, so a lot of people don't have fogs to begin with. If you were going to buy new fogs, i can see getting the LED ones then. I also see that the LED have better light output. Thanks for clarifying.

I have halogen fogs already, so buying the new LED fogs seems a bit extreme if I can find some replacement bulbs for much cheaper but I'm thinking there aren't many aftermarket LED bulbs that would fit into the halogen housing..
Old 05-29-14, 06:39 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone would like to retrofit a series of micro led hid into the current plastic housing? Put it on the edge like the concept gs.
Old 05-29-14, 06:41 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Ok, so a lot of people don't have fogs to begin with. If you were going to buy new fogs, i can see getting the LED ones then. I also see that the LED have better light output. Thanks for clarifying. I have halogen fogs already, so buying the new LED fogs seems a bit extreme if I can find some replacement bulbs for much cheaper but I'm thinking there aren't many aftermarket LED bulbs that would fit into the halogen housing..
Browse around VLEDS and IJDMTOY. They have some pretty bright ones available. They are a bit expensive though. The H11s I believe are close to $100 a pair.
Old 05-29-14, 07:44 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Thanks yardie! Just founds some VLEDs H11 5000K's for $60/pair. May pull the trigger on these..
Old 06-01-14, 02:46 PM
Sosodef79
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a set of LEDs with all hardware for sale in For Sale area if anyone is interested
Old 06-10-14, 07:22 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Quick question... Is the fog lamp main harness connector found under the dash or in the engine bay?
Old 06-23-14, 11:28 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Just installed my VLED 5K LED fog bulbs and they look good with the stock HID bulbs. One thing though is that with aftermarket bulbs, the light doesn't have cut off like the OEM LED bulbs do.
Attached Thumbnails LED Fogs Installed... Finally-photo.jpg  
Old 06-23-14, 01:28 PM
ruger04
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so a lot of people don't have fogs to begin with. If you were going to buy new fogs, i can see getting the LED ones then. I also see that the LED have better light output. Thanks for clarifying.

I have halogen fogs already, so buying the new LED fogs seems a bit extreme if I can find some replacement bulbs for much cheaper but I'm thinking there aren't many aftermarket LED bulbs that would fit into the halogen housing..
If you already have the fog housing, you don't need to buy an entire LED fog housing lights with the bulbs, you can just get the replacement LED bulbs. As others have demonstrated, the LED fog housing has a nice "cut-off" line like the HIDs, but to me fog lights are not met to be used as primary headlights anyway, they are just auxiliary lights, and I just wanted to match the fog lights color close to my OEM HIDs.

My 5000K LED bulb replacement:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ith-led-2.html

(included instructions on how to install the bulbs, you should take out the entire fog housing so you don't risk of breaking anything).

As far as pricing is concerned, you quoted $60/pair from VLED. Look at KBcarstuff.com, same bulbs, but cheaper. They do take about a week to ship to your house though. I am pretty happy with them so far.
Old 06-23-14, 01:44 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ruger04
If you already have the fog housing, you don't need to buy an entire LED fog housing lights with the bulbs, you can just get the replacement LED bulbs. As others have demonstrated, the LED fog housing has a nice "cut-off" line like the HIDs, but to me fog lights are not met to be used as primary headlights anyway, they are just auxiliary lights, and I just wanted to match the fog lights color close to my OEM HIDs.

My 5000K LED bulb replacement:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ith-led-2.html

(included instructions on how to install the bulbs, you should take out the entire fog housing so you don't risk of breaking anything).

As far as pricing is concerned, you quoted $60/pair from VLED. Look at KBcarstuff.com, same bulbs, but cheaper. They do take about a week to ship to your house though. I am pretty happy with them so far.
Correct, see my post above. I installed aftermarket LED bulbs into an existing halogen fog light assembly. Originally I didn't realize why so many would want the OEM LED fogs when the only difference is the bulb (from what I understand), but quickly realized some cars aren't equipped with them.

I bought the H11 VLED 5,000K bulbs. I agree, I don't need the cut off as stated by others. I was looking for the lights to match the headlights more than anything, but can definitely tell there is more output from these bulbs at night.

I actually had a very easy time installing these bulbs and did not have to modify anything as you stated in your linked post. I only took out two of the fender clips and one screw on the bottom of the bumper. Then I was able to pull out the fender lining just enough to get my hand in there and uninstall the bulbs. No modification necessary, purely plug and play - as it should be. I didn't even have to turn my wheels. The whole procedure took me 10 minutes tops.

Last edited by Kcook700; 06-23-14 at 01:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Fogs Installed... Finally